Premier Sports Cup 2021/22

Cagey

1 hour ago, sixties saintee said:

Really,  am I being thick, but what's the difference / reason to segregate

It wasn't segregation as such almost the same as a ticket in the main stand or Ormond stand - one is pitch side while the other is behind the goal.

They must have had to offer some of those slightly better viewing seats to Saints to sell and then we didn't have the demand to fill up the space.

1 hour ago, garydavidson said:

It wasn't segregation as such almost the same as a ticket in the main stand or Ormond stand - one is pitch side while the other is behind the goal.

They must have had to offer some of those slightly better viewing seats to Saints to sell and then we didn't have the demand to fill up the space.

Cheers GD.

Will await Hoodlums explanation wae baited breath

Edited by sixties saintee

3 hours ago, Melbourne Saint said:

About 18 months ago the SFA acknowledged Hampden had "lost atmosphere" and had set up a group to look at redevelopment- moving the stands closer (getting rid of the stupid athletic track). Not heard anything since.

Problem is money. It basically requires a complete rebuild. They can't go to the government, as that will (rightly) send folk nutty about not spending on NHS etc. 

Think that was before WIllie haughey got all enraged about the thought of SFA moving away from Hampden and decided to give them the money to buy it.

Is Scotland big enough to have a national rugby stadium stuck in the middle of houses in Edinbugh and a national football stadium in Glasgow also stuck in the middle of houses and a complete nightmare to get away from.

We missed a chance to build a new national sports stadium for all sports and indoor arena etc years ago when they looked at land at Bannockburn. right in the middle of the country with good road links and rail links that were able to be developed.

1 hour ago, mainstand said:

We missed a chance to build a new national sports stadium for all sports and indoor arena etc years ago when they looked at land at Bannockburn. right in the middle of the country with good road links and rail links that were able to be developed.

Completely agree with that. Having Hampden in Glasgow has also damaged Scotland's chances of ever hosting a tournament, because the three biggest football grounds are all in the same city.

4 hours ago, Sergei said:

I can't see anything that would have the SFA get rid of Hampden plus move any national stadium out of Glasgow. 

Agree, I think the only option is/was redevelop Hampden, relocation options always get flung about (and make some sense). Central belt has always been mooted, but I don't believe would get traction unless govt support- buying the land etc, and that would probably result in a revolt from weegie MSP's. Wembley was under a rival bid from Birmingham- which also makes sense. 

Unfortunately, it will rumble on until Hampden is uninhabitable.

5 hours ago, blueheaven said:

Completely agree with that. Having Hampden in Glasgow has also damaged Scotland's chances of ever hosting a tournament, because the three biggest football grounds are all in the same city.

Scotland can only host parts of a tournament if it is part of a bigger bid (such as Celtic nations, which add another 3 stadiums- Croke pk, Aviva, Cardiff Arms), or the last Euro's. I don't think it's as much to do with the national stadium's location, as the fact that we've only got 4 grounds that hold over 50k. 

6 hours ago, blueheaven said:

Aberdeen need to get on with their new ground the the Dundee two need to become one :)

8 minutes ago, MySpazz said:

Aberdeen need to get on with their new ground the the Dundee two need to become one :)

Which Aberdeen ground? I thought they'd started building at Westhill, but keep seeing plans for the beach area with stadium a big part of it.

There are a few cities in Europe where teams with fierce rivalries share stadia, (Rome and Milan being the obvious), why not Dundee? A combined one could be big enough to hold internationals?

1 hour ago, Melbourne Saint said:

Scotland can only host parts of a tournament if it is part of a bigger bid (such as Celtic nations, which add another 3 stadiums- Croke pk, Aviva, Cardiff Arms), or the last Euro's. I don't think it's as much to do with the national stadium's location, as the fact that we've only got 4 grounds that hold over 50k. 

A lot of folk complain about Hampden's location, access etc.

Train station 600m away, big matches they pretty much run a 5min service. Massive coach park on site. Local buses also a few hundred metres away.

The issue of getting home to north of Perth/south of Kilmarnock is an issue with the transport system rather than the stadium!

Personally, and understanding it'll cost millions, I'd like to see them flatten the current Hampden and totally rebuild. They could have a modern, 60-70k stadium, great view from every seat, in pretty much the current footprint.

Getting back on the thread topic, I really don't think we played badly on Saturday, but we didn't play brilliantly either. That applies also to our opposition. Was a pretty scrappy game, they took their chance, we didn't, sound like every Saints game! Wasn't gutted to lose 1-0, went there half expecting a pumping, but looking now I wonder, were they there for the taking? And we didn't.

13 hours ago, Melbourne Saint said:

Agree with that, but even if we were to co-host with another nation, it's likely we wouldn't be able to use all three of Hampden, Celtic Park and Ibrox, because generally UEFA look for a maximum of two grounds to be used in one city. So Scotland would only be able to put forward three grounds instead of four.

Aberdeen's new ground is only planned to have a 20,000 capacity so even that wouldn't be usable. Maybe the new Camperdown Park Thunderdome can bump us up one.

On 11/23/2021 at 10:44 AM, sixties saintee said:

Cheers GD.

No ideas of your own huh? :roll:

On 11/23/2021 at 10:44 AM, sixties saintee said:

Cheers GD.

It's no bait you need on your breath, it's boxing gloves to cover your keyboard fingers.:P.

On 11/24/2021 at 9:28 AM, blueheaven said:

Agree with that, but even if we were to co-host with another nation, it's likely we wouldn't be able to use all three of Hampden, Celtic Park and Ibrox, because generally UEFA look for a maximum of two grounds to be used in one city. So Scotland would only be able to put forward three grounds instead of four.

Aberdeen's new ground is only planned to have a 20,000 capacity so even that wouldn't be usable. Maybe the new Camperdown Park Thunderdome can bump us up one.

I assume Murrayfield would be part of any bid?