Galatasary v Saints, 05/08/21

St. Paddy

1 hour ago, saintee in exile said:

My son reckons there's a Saints fan in the same street as him in Mount Florida judging by the shouts when Saints scored!Anyone on here? Ha ha

COYS!!

I was brought up in a Stanmore Rd tenement and though a long way from there these days I’m thinking I could have been heard there this evening…awesome result by CD and the lads.

6 hours ago, saintgscot said:

Come on Perth and Kinross council let’s allow a big support for next week and make McDiarmid hell.

Well given the ugly sisters are being allowed full stadiums from the 9th,  PKC better have a bloody good reason if we don’t get the same decision from them….. 

Gut feeling is we we will get the decision for full capacity as surely cannot have one rule for 50k 60k at the OF stadiums and even the dandy dons look likely to be granted permission… 

Edited by bluesaint
Grammar

Everyone of the lads did us proud once again. Jason Kerr showed what a true leader does when they need to step up. Ali was absolutely superb- he wouldn't look out of place in a top European club. Zander pulled off a couple cracking saves and looks like a different keeper to the one that he was 9 months ago or so.

Why not believe we can go and finish the job off?

Absolutely amazing from Saints. Pre-match I had faith in us to get something over there but feared the worst when they bombarded us in the opening few minutes. I think it says everything about the character of this team that they recovered very quickly from an early scare and very much grew into the game as it progressed. By the end we'd even carved out a few good chances and if only we were a bit more clinical up front we honestly could have scored a second (what a difference Middleton and Vertainen could potentially make).

I thought McCart in particular showed incredible calmness at the back when under pressure and really showed why there's been so much interest in him. McCann also had the game of his life and actually seems to look better for us, the better the opposition are. Devine's inexperience probably showed with that early Galatasaray chance and also with their goal, but in general he looked incredibly assured for someone who was only playing his second competitive match. I felt May was unlucky with his chance at the end but proved that it's worth putting pressure on their goalkeeper and there are opportunities to be had if we run at them and put them under pressure. We must do that at McDiarmid.

Richard Foster was an odd choice of commentator and seemed to want us to commit suicide, criticising our team for not throwing numbers forward and trying to kill them off. I'm so glad it's Davidson who's our manager and not Foster, because I think his comments were ridiculously naive. For me, Callum Davidson had his tactics spot on. We had to defend first and foremost, and probably ride our luck a little, and that's exactly what we did. Now we need to go for it at McDiarmid.

Something that I feel shows how far we've come as a club ... I can remember when we were drawn against Monaco, most of the talk was just about going out there and enjoying the experience. From the moment we were drawn against Galatasaray I haven't heard any player or fan talk like that. We're 100% in this tie to win it.

I think lots of you being a bit hard on Foster, he was pointing out correctly that on the balance of play the win was there for the taking, rather than the ‘plucky wee team’ narrative.  There is no doubt Saints had them rattled, a man down and a goal down! they will have to up their game to win the next leg and they know it!

4 minutes ago, Smarmy Arab said:

I think lots of you being a bit hard on Foster, he was pointing out correctly that on the balance of play the win was there for the taking, rather than the ‘plucky wee team’ narrative.  There is no doubt Saints had them rattled, a man down and a goal down! they will have to up their game to win the next leg and they know it!

I was of the same thinking, I didn't feel he was saying anything that all Saints fans weren't thinking, we had three men on one attacker a lot of those 30 minutes. Kerr could have stepped forward a wee bit.

I would've taken anything better than a 3-0 loss as a great result. The performance was amazing. The quality of McCann and Kerr particularly shone through, but McCart too.

Ironically, our weakest players on the night were Wotherspoon and Rooney. I think this was due to the fact that against the likes of Ross County, these are two of the more skilful players, but against Galatasaray...not so much.

I think Devine is a good player, but wonder if we wouldn't have conceded with Booth at left-back. Is he still not at full fitness?

10 minutes ago, Linky said:

I would've taken anything better than a 3-0 loss as a great result. The performance was amazing. The quality of McCann and Kerr particularly shone through, but McCart too.

Ironically, our weakest players on the night were Wotherspoon and Rooney. I think this was due to the fact that against the likes of Ross County, these are two of the more skilful players, but against Galatasaray...not so much.

I think Devine is a good player, but wonder if we wouldn't have conceded with Booth at left-back. Is he still not at full fitness?

I said the same. Not sure Booth would have moved forward at that point, But happy to cut him some slack on his second ever full time appearance. He really was thrown into the fire. 

First 15 minutes Babel was roasting Rooney but I think he then got to grips with the way Babel played. Their manager made 3 changes at half time that helped us a bit.

If Muzz & Spoony had managed to put better contacts on their shots then it may have been a different story.

Hopefully at home our wingbacks can get further upfield & leave the back 3 to defend.

4 minutes ago, Cagey said:

First 15 minutes Babel was roasting Rooney but I think he then got to grips with the way Babel played. Their manager made 3 changes at half time that helped us a bit.

If Muzz & Spoony had managed to put better contacts on their shots then it may have been a different story.

Hopefully at home our wingbacks can get further upfield & leave the back 3 to defend.

we’ll have to pick our battles. I think Rooney going forward was part of our problem. He was leaving huge holes in behind. 

Expect a similar game in Perth next week.