St Johnstone FC v Galatasary SK, 12/08/21

MySpazz

McFadden was waxing lyrical last night on the TV about the tactics of punting it long into touch and THEN pressing Gala into mistakes from the resulting throw in.  It won us our equaliser, and was making their backline very uncomfortable.  It also led to the Kane chopdown that could, and maybe should, have changed the game.

I agree with most of the posts on here. The whole club...staff, players, fans, can all be proud of a great effort. Ali McCann is sensational, I hope we can keep hold of him at least for the LASK games. We really missed not having Bryson, or any established central midfielders on the bench as Craig and Muzz couldn't really get stuck in after both being booked. Could it have been a red, possibly. However, we seem to always complain about the refs in European games. Perhaps we/the players need to learn that the refereeing is different abroad and adjust.

4 minutes ago, skivealive said:

However, we seem to always complain about the refs in European games. Perhaps we/the players need to learn that the refereeing is different abroad and adjust.

I would disagree with parts of that, the ref last week was extremely good. The ref last night had a horror show of inconsistent decisions for example he booked Craig for dissent as he slammed his hands on the surface, the Turkish players were allowed to get right into the face of the ref, one was booked when he had his fourth go in a tirade at the ref.

Davidsons yellow for a dive is just insane - Murray Davidson, dive? 

4 hours ago, blueheaven said:

P.S. Never liked Sweet Caroline until last night. But that was f**king special.

Its not Sweet Caroline...Its bloody John Connelly. And why the slow When the Saints go marching in? That should always and only be...knock knock! Rant over.

Please note: I think the support last night was sensational...I'm just a traditionalist when it comes to the songs.

Just now, garydavidson said:

I would disagree with parts of that, the ref last week was extremely good. The ref last night had a horror show of inconsistent decisions for example he booked Craig for dissent as he slammed his hands on the surface, the Turkish players were allowed to get right into the face of the ref, one was booked when he had his fourth go in a tirade at the ref.

Davidsons yellow for a dive is just insane - Murray Davidson, dive? 

Could it be said thought that European refs don't like the explosive reactions, however they do (for some reason) seem to accept getting a bit hounded, just at a slightly calmer level. I'm perhaps clutching at straws, just hoping the players learn from these games that the refs can be very different country to country.

And Muzz would never dive...he'd probably break a collar bone if he tried!

19 minutes ago, skivealive said:

Could it be said thought that European refs don't like the explosive reactions, however they do (for some reason) seem to accept getting a bit hounded, just at a slightly calmer level. I'm perhaps clutching at straws, just hoping the players learn from these games that the refs can be very different country to country.

And Muzz would never dive...he'd probably break a collar bone if he tried!

I'm afraid Liam is always getting booked for dissent. You would think he would learn. Its OK being passionate but it has to be directed in the right way.

Amazed at the number of times Saints were just too quick and nicked the ball from them only to be fouled. Think we caught them out quite a few times. If there is one thing Muzz isnt, its a diver but we've the benefit of watching him play for years. Everyones talked about Brown being a squad player rather than 1st choice in the past but I thought that last night was the best Id seen him play. Thought he was terrific in the 1st half. Rooney for that final goal, we should be doing more of that.

We lost 4 goals but that was more down to 3 excellent bits of play. The rest of the game they were made to look pretty average by our players who gave it their all. Really impressive stuff from Saints.

9 minutes ago, Cagey said:

I'm afraid Liam is always getting booked for dissent. You would think he would learn. Its OK being passionate but it has to be directed in the right way.

Think the refs policy was that if you told him to f off whether it was direct to his face or just in frustration (slamming your hands into the ground) you were getting booked. Think in SPL unless its in context of speaking directly to the ref you probably get away with it.

1 minute ago, skivealive said:

Owen Goal top goalscorer for saints, great signing!

Ha Ha Dont think Kane is ever going to recognition for some important Saints goals. He scored that last minute against Rangers but people only remember Zanders header.

There is nothing like supporting a community club, (refuse to call us a diddy club) so proud of our team no stars just good honest team like performances … fighting for each other… we all know as Saints fans with every high there comes a low so you just have to enjoy nights like these!! Just a pity that you just know we can’t hold on to this squad who knows what they would be capable of. 

2 hours ago, Rob said:

Amazed at the number of times Saints were just too quick and nicked the ball from them only to be fouled. Think we caught them out quite a few times. If there is one thing Muzz isnt, its a diver but we've the benefit of watching him play for years. Everyones talked about Brown being a squad player rather than 1st choice in the past but I thought that last night was the best Id seen him play. Thought he was terrific in the 1st half. Rooney for that final goal, we should be doing more of that.

We lost 4 goals but that was more down to 3 excellent bits of play. The rest of the game they were made to look pretty average by our players who gave it their all. Really impressive stuff from Saints.

Agree, I think we saw that Brown will do a job for us. I think he was chosen last night because he wasn't as gungho as Rooney. Never did much wrong as he was probably told to defend first.

Rooney is better going forward & we missed that last night. I thought the idea of 3 at the back was if the wingback pushes up a centre back moves over to cover.

When he did come on Rooney was caught upfield when they counter attacked.

Biggest problem last night was our 3 centre backs were done by pace.

3 hours ago, Rob said:

Think the refs policy was that if you told him to f off whether it was direct to his face or just in frustration (slamming your hands into the ground) you were getting booked. Think in SPL unless its in context of speaking directly to the ref you probably get away with it.

Have now had time to watch the game again. I think at home the ref must spend a lot of his time referring games involving Trappist monks.

Great show by Saints.

7 hours ago, skivealive said:

Its not Sweet Caroline...Its bloody John Connelly. And why the slow When the Saints go marching in? That should always and only be...knock knock! Rant over.

Please note: I think the support last night was sensational...I'm just a traditionalist when it comes to the songs.

It’s actually bloody John Connolly

11 hours ago, HOODLUM65 said:

When the Ref. is referring games involving Trappist monks is this to become a Saint?

Asking for a friend.:D

All he had to do to become a Saint was produce a red card instead of a yellow when that big guy sent Kano into the middle of next week when he was heading straight through on goal.

• 3 months later...