Ali McCann - what will he sell for predictions?

belfastsaintee

1 minute ago, Johnny B said:

Just an opinion Christie transferred at the same time starts all but 1 in same time span. If he was better than their starters he would play from the start not the last 20 mins of each game. 

I could see your point if he'd been there for six months, but it's only been a few weeks. He's going to have to prove he's better than their starters, just like Vertainen is having to do here, for example. I find it really strange that anyone would have expected him to walk straight into their starting line-up.

I've no idea what the situation is with Christie but he's a far more experienced player than McCann, and perhaps he was arriving at Bournemouth at a time where they desperately needed someone in his position.

53 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

I could see your point if he'd been there for six months, but it's only been a few weeks. He's going to have to prove he's better than their starters, just like Vertainen is having to do here, for example. I find it really strange that anyone would have expected him to walk straight into their starting line-up.

I've no idea what the situation is with Christie but he's a far more experienced player than McCann, and perhaps he was arriving at Bournemouth at a time where they desperately needed someone in his position.

Exactly this. Christie was a marquee signing. No doubt one of their top earners and at a very different stage in his career. 

• 5 weeks later...

Preston fan in peace here, can’t believe you lot let McCann go so cheaply, so quickly becoming a fan favourite at Deepdale, not often we pick a young gem like this lad up ahead of other clubs but one thing is certain, he will be playing in the EPL within 18 months- 2 years. Wish you guys luck for the rest of the season.

1 hour ago, DanielPneFc said:

Preston fan in peace here, can’t believe you lot let McCann go so cheaply, so quickly becoming a fan favourite at Deepdale, not often we pick a young gem like this lad up ahead of other clubs but one thing is certain, he will be playing in the EPL within 18 months- 2 years. Wish you guys luck for the rest of the season.

Yeah, thanks. We prefer not to talk about McCann.

3 hours ago, DanielPneFc said:

That is good to hear, hope he does make it and gets sold for millions with a hefty chunk of that coming North.  Good luck for rest of season to your team and Ali in particular. 

4 hours ago, DanielPneFc said:

All about the sell on clause. We get a wedge of the next fee.

Scotland to England fee wouldn't compare to a Championship to Premiership fee. The sell on clause alone could break our transfer record.

5 hours ago, DanielPneFc said:

Seemingly our chairman has negotiated an outstanding sell on clause so it will be interesting to see what happens next with McCann. 

He's an absolutely class act as a player.

5 hours ago, DanielPneFc said:

Alright, no need to rub it in. :laugh:

Looking back I used to go to the u21 games.

Noticed in the "thread" of 2017 that I posted Ali McCann is one to watch,  tho' Cameron Ballantyne took the eye.

Ballantyne on loan to Montrose can't be to far away from Saints 1st team.

Ballantyne and McCann went together  like salt & pepper.:laugh:

Well done to Ali McCann.

10 hours ago, DanielPneFc said:

Great that he got the winner last night and Braw post match interview.

He seems to have settled in well.

He is getting rock star reviews on PNE fans forum, just hope he doesn’t tip you off about our other great players.

12 hours ago, DanielPneFc said:

Didn’t have much choice. You’re paying him £16500 a week, we were paying him £800. He wanted to go and the only teams keen were you and Celtic. 

he didn’t want to stay in Scotland. 

We’ve got 25% sell on though, and £750k if you make the playoffs. 

15 minutes ago, Pat McGroin said:

Didn’t have much choice. You’re paying him £16500 a week, we were paying him £800. He wanted to go and the only teams keen were you and Celtic. 

You just pluck that figure from the ether.........?  or have you got anything to back it up?  

18 minutes ago, Lt. Col Kojak Slaphead II said:

You just pluck that figure from the ether.........?  or have you got anything to back it up?  

I’m not going to name names for obvious reasons but I have no reason to believe my source is incorrect. 

Was told Celtic had actually offered us a bigger fee but McCann wanted to go down south 

Kerr’s on £10k a week at Wigan too. He had been down at Charlton when Wigan came in offering more money. 

Both life changing sums for both players.

Edited by Pat McGroin

17 hours ago, Pat McGroin said:

I know this is the official club line, but I'm not sure I agree that we had no choice. He was under contract. He may have wanted to leave but surely he would have understood that he can only leave if a buying club meets Saints' valuation. It would have been totally reasonable of Saints to tell Preston they need to meet our valuation or wait until the next transfer window.

Let's not forget that Preston unsettled the player by making their financial package known to him/his agent before Saints had accepted an offer (if Steve Brown's version of events is correct).

5 hours ago, blueheaven said:

I know this is the official club line, but I'm not sure I agree that we had no choice. He was under contract. He may have wanted to leave but surely he would have understood that he can only leave if a buying club meets Saints' valuation. It would have been totally reasonable of Saints to tell Preston they need to meet our valuation or wait until the next transfer window.

Let's not forget that Preston unsettled the player by making their financial package known to him/his agent before Saints had accepted an offer (if Steve Brown's version of events is correct).

They definitely made an offer to the player via the back door, and the financial package was such that you would have been left with a very unhappy player.

Look at the Edouard situation at Celtic. He effectively downed tools for a season. That didn’t increase his transfer value at all and you risk unsettling the squad. 

The key for us I suppose is the sell on percentage. I’d hazard a guess that Brown saw how well Ali had done last season, for NI and in the Euro games and backed him to do the same in England and win a big move. 

I think he might only last a season at Preston. Bound to be teams at the top, top end of the Championship or lower PL keeping an eye on him soon. 

Edited by Pat McGroin

On 11/4/2021 at 4:18 PM, Pat McGroin said:

Both life changing sums for both players.

Mark Guidi found. :wink:

7 hours ago, blueheaven said:

I agree. He should have been told he's free to leave, like any player, when the price is right and there is a suitable replacement player signed/lined up. At least one of these criteria weren't met imho so we should've said sorry, but no. I think he's basically jumped at the first decent offer that's come along while Steve saw 'million' and grabbed it. Preston don't have a great record of doing anything playing wise or making big sales. I just hope they're trustworthy in their financial dealings for that sell on to bring in as much as folk are hoping.

On 11/6/2021 at 4:14 AM, Sergei said:

Preston don't have a great record of doing anything playing wise or making big sales. I just hope they're trustworthy in their financial dealings for that sell on to bring in as much as folk are hoping.

Absolutely agree with the potential risk of sell-ons. Clubs seem to go broke for fun in championship & league 1. In fact most of the pyramid. Derby currently the most high profile, there seems to be 2-3 clubs a season that balls it up. 

It's quite risky betting on sell-ons there as that league is very tough- and some spend big. SB is not normally a betting man, and we probably won't know the structure of the deal. But it appears that any decent clauses won't be realised any time soon. 

Forrest skelped them 3-0 at the weekend. 

I can't be arsed looking it up, but did Rhodes & Goram come up north from PNE/Oldham?

Edited by Melbourne Saint

It's more fee manipulation to avoid paying hefty add-ons. As an example, say Liverpool liked what they saw in the recent cup game and came in for him seeing an another Andy Robertson situation. Swaps aren't as popular as they were but they still happen. I wonder how much Saints would get if Preston took Ben Davies, Ben Woodburn and £1m instead of a straight fee in a deal valued at, er, em, £3m.