LASK v Saints, Europa Conference League, 19/08/21

Melbourne Saint

1 hour ago, Johnny B said:

The extra time at Arbroath now kicking in

They lost sharpness in the second half for sure.

Kane excellent.

May is a mess and needs to be moved on. Came on, gave away a very dangerous freekick and does nothing, brings nothing, honestly a player who has lost his way and interest.

One game from some achievement....and travels.

I must be the only one watching the second half through my fingers. LASK were way better than us they like us lack a finisher but there possession was way better than ours we could not get a foot on the ball second half. They pressed us high and we couldn’t pass through it.

I hope Callum learned something from the game tonight so he can emulate the first 30 minutes into the whole game so we give them something to worry about.

55 minutes ago, MySpazz said:

Kane excellent.

May is a mess and needs to be moved on. Came on, gave away a very dangerous freekick and does nothing, brings nothing, honestly a player who has lost his way and interest.

Pretty sure he got the ball, never a free kick imo 

1 hour ago, MySpazz said:

Kane excellent.

Yep

1 hour ago, MySpazz said:

Kane excellent.

Harsh  on May 

10 minutes ago, Melbourne Saint said:

Like most say, disappointed, but proud. Result probably fair. Hopefully the memory of Galatasaray will stick with the guys & go into LASK full of purpose, not nerves.

I thought MOH & Middleton were excellent on the left. A shame one will presumably make way next week.

Now... Back to ticketing.....

I wouldn't necessarily assume that. Callum said that the game plan was to get in behind them with pace. Spoony doesn't offer that.

I can see more or less the same XI next week, with our front three on Sunday being Spoony, Mayso and Eetu.

10 minutes ago, california_saintee said:

I wouldn't necessarily assume that. Callum said that the game plan was to get in behind them with pace. Spoony doesn't offer that.

I can see more or less the same XI next week, with our front three on Sunday being Spoony, Mayso and Eetu.

It is an interesting dilemma for return leg. Using pace to get behind defences is our standard tactic, regardless of opponent.

We did create chances without Spoony, which is great. For many he'd be one of the first on the teamsheet. I do expect Spoony to start next week. Apart from attacking intent, he's another body in midfield & fresh legs- but probably play v Utd.

Interesting if LASK line up to nullify threat wide. Also their lad Grgic (or whatever) seemed to go down quite heavily on his shoulder- hopefully out as he's half decent. 

47 minutes ago, Abernethy Saint said:

May had 10 minutes, during which Saints hardly had the ball. Not really enough to write off a player, surely.

I've decided he's had it,

i didn't think we should have resigned him and posted that back when we did, and my minds made up :)  :)

#TeamHendry 

7 hours ago, Melbourne Saint said:

We did create chances without Spoony, which is great. For many he'd be one of the first on the teamsheet. I do expect Spoony to start next week. Apart from attacking intent, he's another body in midfield & fresh legs- but probably play v Utd.

The front 3 of Kane MOH and Middleton defended from the front and made them rush their passes or play long. Taking away one of them and playing another in midfield (Spoony) will give them more time and space to build from the back. Two hard away games in Europe and Kane and MOH have been outstanding  leading the line and Middleton in the second match. If it's not broken don;t try and fix it to accommodate Spoony. We played with an extra midfielder on the home leg against Galatasaray and look what happened.

Can't say I agree that Spoony normally plays much deeper than Middleton did last night. He is probably a little bit more inclined to drop a little deeper to pick up the ball, but I'd say when he is playing, he's normally on the left just behind the main striker. Having said that, I think Spoony will start on Sunday. Same front 3 for next week, with Spoony coming off the bench...if Davidson ever uses a sub!

Spoony and Booth link up much better on the left too.  Middleton was terrific last night but tried to do it all himself and reduced Booth to the resulting throw in taker.  

I agree that the tactics were spot on, but bringing spoony and hendry/may on after an hour would have offered a new outlet in my opinion.

11 minutes ago, montrosesaintee said:

Spoony and Booth link up much better on the left too.  Middleton was terrific last night but tried to do it all himself and reduced Booth to the resulting throw in taker.  

I agree that the tactics were spot on, but bringing spoony and hendry/may on after an hour would have offered a new outlet in my opinion.

Middleton offers us something different but he doesn't link with Booth as well as Spoony. It may be because they have not had a chance to play together as Middleton tended to play on the right when he was with us or that he is wanting to do it all himself & doesn't always make the right decision and can be greedy.

Outstanding first half performance; I was disappointed that we didn't score a second. 

Second half we tailed off but this Lask team are quality so to play the way we did enforcing our will on them shows we have every chance of progressing to the group stages.

Kane was outstanding leading the line and the defense was again superb. 

McCann is genuinely a future English Premier league player.

Zander is displaying the kind of form that we knew he had when he was pushing Mannus.

Things are good in the garden, lets hope it stays that way for a long time.

The more I think of last night I see it as a missed opportunity. Get that second (and third) goals and we could have had this out of sight.

I wonder whether Lask were really poor in the first half, start of the second, or under-estimated us.

I doubt they will under-estimate us in the second leg....hard to state how much this could mean to the club. Finances to keep our better players, the incentive for the players to hang around for another season at least with the group stages to look forward to. Allowing us to build the team for a push into the higher positions in the league, rather than having to re-build.

Money coming in to offset the covid impact of the past eighteen months and replensh the cash reserves that must have taken a pounding in the past period.

I am going to be one nervous bunny come Thursday night.

One thing that struck me was how massive the gulf has become between Scottish football and other countries.  As MrBored says, winning this tie is monumental for Saints, it could change how the next 3 or 4 seasons go for us.  In the same competition, Spurs put out a bunch of youths and lose, because they absolutely do not care about the UEFA conference league.  

Supporting one of the big English/Spanish/Italian/French/German teams with billions at their disposal must be soul destroying at times.

4 minutes ago, montrosesaintee said:

One thing that struck me was how massive the gulf has become between Scottish football and other countries.  As MrBored says, winning this tie is monumental for Saints, it could change how the next 3 or 4 seasons go for us.  In the same competition, Spurs put out a bunch of youths and lose, because they absolutely do not care about the UEFA conference league.  

Supporting one of the big English/Spanish/Italian/French/German teams with billions at their disposal must be soul destroying at times.

That’s the thing isn’t it - where is the joy in supporting these teams?