LASK v Saints, Europa Conference League, 19/08/21

Melbourne Saint

For anyone who can't pay for Premier Sports, the game's being broadcast on council telly in Austria (ORF 1). They have a free livestream which is geo-blocked on a show-by-show basis, but it seems to work with NordVPN fine for me (touch wood).

https://tvthek.orf.at/live/AD-Fussball-Europa-Conference-League-Qualifikation-Play-off-LASK-St-Johnstone-FC/14132371

3 hours ago, california_saintee said:

For anyone who can't pay for Premier Sports, the game's being broadcast on council telly in Austria (ORF 1). They have a free livestream which is geo-blocked on a show-by-show basis, but it seems to work with NordVPN fine for me (touch wood).

https://tvthek.orf.at/live/AD-Fussball-Europa-Conference-League-Qualifikation-Play-off-LASK-St-Johnstone-FC/14132371

Ta.

2 hours ago, Rob said:

No Spoony for this game either I see.

Nasty. Id've liked us to go there with Mid & MOH behind Kane. But that would require Spoony. 

So I'm assuming one of MOH or Middleton to drop out to bolster midfield..(guess MOH?).

When are teams announced? Haven't we got a few hours?

Edited by Melbourne Saint

This team should not be underestimated . 

They have come a long way since 1984 when they were defeated in both legs of the UEFA cup by Jim Mclean's Dundee United 2-1 away and 5-1 at Tannadump.

Partick Thistle drew with them, 2-2 in the Intertoto Cup in 1999.

There again, Saints have come a long way too and should play with no fear.

C.O.Y.S

Just to avoid the travel shebang, Saints arrived direct on charter. It's not massively expensive looks like Air Charter Scotland. Clocked one landing at 10.30am local time from Edinburgh.

These aircraft (Dessault) are really under utilised atm, so 50-60 seat aircraft are pretty cheap.

They have voddy I'm sure onboard.

3 hours ago, HOODLUM65 said:

This team should not be underestimated . 

They have come a long way since 1984 when they were defeated in both legs of the UEFA cup by Jim Mclean's Dundee United 2-1 away and 5-1 at Tannadump.

Partick Thistle drew with them, 2-2 in the Intertoto Cup in 1999.

There again, Saints have come a long way too and should play with no fear.

C.O.Y.S

They took spurs to 3-3 the other season. Have played Man U, Rosenberg etc. Very experienced. 

Great pace, counter. We're really up against it. But what other way...COYS!!!

9 hours ago, Melbourne Saint said:

Nasty. Id've liked us to go there with Mid & MOH behind Kane. But that would require Spoony. 

So I'm assuming one of MOH or Middleton to drop out to bolster midfield..(guess MOH?).

When are teams announced? Haven't we got a few hours?

Surely Spoony's absence makes it more likely that MOH and Middleton will both play? If Spoony was fit, we wouldn't line up with him, MOH, Middleton and Kane all in the same team.

Could be completely wrong but I reckon if we were going to pack the midfield with McCann, Craig and Davidson all starting like we did against Galatasaray, we wouldn't have had Craig playing the full 120 minutes against Arbroath on Sunday. To me that points to McCann and Davidson starting in central midfield, Kane playing as a lone striker and MOH and Middleton in support. Only alternative I can see to that is possibly May starting instead of MOH. Really think Bryson is a big miss for these games, incidentally.

Team probably won't be announced until about an hour before kick-off.

1 hour ago, blueheaven said:

Surely Spoony's absence makes it more likely that MOH and Middleton will both play? If Spoony was fit, we wouldn't line up with him, MOH, Middleton and Kane all in the same team.

Could be completely wrong but I reckon if we were going to pack the midfield with McCann, Craig and Davidson all starting like we did against Galatasaray, we wouldn't have had Craig playing the full 120 minutes against Arbroath on Sunday. To me that points to McCann and Davidson starting in central midfield, Kane playing as a lone striker and MOH and Middleton in support. Only alternative I can see to that is possibly May starting instead of MOH. Really think Bryson is a big miss for these games, incidentally.

Team probably won't be announced until about an hour before kick-off.

I thought Bryson was on the plane. I was hoping he could play some part.

Got a bit of a fear about this one. They are a really good side and while not as big a name as Galatasary, a team with recent impressive results in Europe.

I think in the first leg maybe Galatasary underestimated us, but I doubt it will be the same tonight.

On the flip, our players will take great confidence from the last tie and maybe playing in a near empty stadium will be a leveller, coupled with the experianve we will have. I can imagine for a lot of the players, Instanbul was a completely new experience.

Middleton playing is a big plus.

If we can still be in the tie by the 2nd leg, I'd be happy. Worst case scenario is we loose by more than 2 and the tie is dead for next week. 

I'm more worried about this one than any game for a while. I feel like the players gave their all against Galatasaray. This is, in many ways, a better team but with lower kudos. The players may find it harder to rise to the occasion.

We tend to play better when expectations are low and there is no pressure, which is why we overachieve against the big teams but struggle against the likes of Arbroath. Here, there is a bit of expectation that we can get a result.

Sorry to be doom and gloom, but if we do have a bad result and go out, I could see that as being the point where a few players are sold. I even wonder if some deals are already lined up, but won't happen until these matches are decided.

On the bright side - it's just great to be in Europe.

13 hours ago, Melbourne Saint said:

I would guess it would be Middleton. The front 2 will need put in a shift and a half and I don't believe Middleton would bet able to run for long. He is alright in short bursts. I may be an optical illusion on the tv but he looks like he is carrying extra weight.

CD played 352 last time out in Europe without Wotherspoon. I hope he goes back to 3421 or 3412 Either of these formations can accommodate Middleton, MOH and Kane

2 hours ago, Linky said:

I'm more worried about this one than any game for a while. I feel like the players gave their all against Galatasaray. This is, in many ways, a better team but with lower kudos. The players may find it harder to rise to the occasion.

We tend to play better when expectations are low and there is no pressure, which is why we overachieve against the big teams but struggle against the likes of Arbroath. Here, there is a bit of expectation that we can get a result.

Sorry to be doom and gloom, but if we do have a bad result and go out, I could see that as being the point where a few players are sold. I even wonder if some deals are already lined up, but won't happen until these matches are decided.

On the bright side - it's just great to be in Europe.

totally agree with this, but also have a lot of faith in Callum with regard to mental prep for games - under Tommy, or Lomas or Del I would be afraid for tonight, but I genuinely feel Callum will have them 100% for tonight.

Parish, Rooney. Kerr. McCart. Craig, McCann and Hendry all played 120'minutes on Sunday . I expect Rooney Kerr McCart and McCann to start. I think playing 120 minutes rules Craig out of starting. Therefore my guess at the team is:

Clark

Kerr   Gordon   McCart

Rooney     McCann Davidson    Booth

O'Halloran     Middleton

Kane     

5 minutes ago, Johnny B said:

Parish, Rooney. Kerr. McCart. Craig, McCann and Hendry all played 120'minutes on Sunday . I expect Rooney Kerr McCart and McCann to start. I think playing 120 minutes rules Craig out of starting. Therefore my guess at the team is:

Clark

Kerr   Gordon   McCart

Rooney     McCann Davidson    Booth

O'Halloran     Middleton

Kane     

That’s the team I expect