Saints v Dundee Utd, Sunday 22/08/21

Melbourne Saint

Not a good performance. Usually if we don't win we're still fairly solid, good passing, majority of possession, but not here. Struggling to string passes together. They looked sharper, and faster.

Middleton had a particularly poor game, the players were getting frustrated with one another, and we had almost no attacking threat. Middleton needs to learn how to play with Booth on that left hand side. Too often he just goes it alone and runs into trouble, as Kennedy used to do.

Davidson the best player for us today.

That was a poor game/result.....messy, disjointed and thought united were a nasty bunch. Like last season we seem to be struggling early to find our flow, which surprises me a bit as its mostly the same players. Maybe we just have too many games going on.

On a higher note, saints TV was excellent as was the commentary and great to see fans back and some atmosphere again. Also enjoyed the wee touch from murray and pawletts salmon leap getting carded.

Again OK in the first half looked to tire in the second. Much like Austria.

We could of rested more and come away with the same result, I trust CD knows what he is doing but I just worry that Thursday will be too much for a tired looking team. That only looks like it has 45 mind in it at the moment 

Edited by Shaggy Jenkins

5 minutes ago, john.w said:

Trouble of living where I do there is a 7 hour time difference so if saints win Im skipping around the house like a Russian ballerina if they get beat its like somebody tied an anvil to my erse :laugh:. Its only 10:15 am so gonna be a long day

i know.im already irritated at the wife/kid being noisy....she just said , so saints lost then?

That was shite. Defending was poor with the back 3 all over the place. Hope Gordon is back for Lask game or we get a hammering. United were cutting us open good passing & one twoes.

Middleton was poor & tried take the freekick under the wall when there was a guy lying on the ground. Seemed to be playing as a 10 behind Kane & May who ran but did nothing. Time to move him on.

United passed better, tackled better.dived better & deserved to win as they were the better team by a mile.

Other than hopefully all the players coming through that without any knocks, nothing positive in that.

Seemed to take an age with the ball....three or four passes where one would do.

Still if that is what it takes to make sure we are all fit and raring to go for Thursday, I'll take it.

20 minutes ago, saintee in exile said:

Well that backfired badly.No result and no players rested.

At least if we had rested a few players we might have felt a wee bit better in defeat & you never know we might have had someone that could pass & find their own player.

For me that was a very jaded-looking Saints team today and it worries me a lot that more players weren't rested, given the scale of the task that awaits us on Thursday. We know we lack a bit of creative spark up front and that's why our fitness and sharpness is absolutely crucial to our success. All of our big results this year have come from us pressing and harrying the opposition and being first to every ball, and to me our players looked like they couldn't do that today and United exploited that situation.

LASK had a league game today and it looks like they rested quite a few of their team from Thursday. I know we have a small squad, but it's not so small that we couldn't have done the same. If a club like Spurs doesn't think it can use the same players for recurring European and league matches in such a short space of time, why do we think we can do it? I think Davidson has made a mistake today and I can only pray that it doesn't damage our hopes on Thursday, when every single player is going to have to run, chase and tackle like they've never done before.

LASK only made three changes from Thursday, so not too different from ourselves thankfully. But I agree, Callum got it wrong today. Nobody was expecting a strong line-up. Nobody would have been disappointed with a weakened line-up. Nobody would have been upset if that weakened line-up dropped points. Callum had a free hit today and he needlessly chose to forgo it.

Don't think we played badly today, some certainly didn't have their best game. McCann in particular seemed to be a bit  off his game, and was getting overly emotional at times, but considering how much some of these guys have played the last few weeks, understandable.

I feel part of our success in Istanbul and Austria was getting in their faces, which they didn't expect us to do. United did that to us today, and we didn't like it!

Disappointed with the result, but not overly concerned about it, considering where we are right now. Hopefully have Spoony and Gordon back for Thursday, onwards and upwards! 

Dundee United deserved their win. They defended their box well, pressed hard and won the majority of first balls. They also managed the game very well after the sending off.

Shrug it off and move on.

The lads will rise to the occasion on Sunday and energy levels will be up. They haven't let us down in the past on the big occasions.

2 hours ago, Broggy Man said:

On the beeb says 5700

Yeah, I saw that and heard it over the tannoy, but I'm pretty sure that cannot be right though. There is no way the ground was only half full. Main was pretty much full aside from the red zone and maybe a couple of hundred in the saints end. Away stand full and probably 2/3 of east full.