Saints v Dundee Utd, Sunday 22/08/21

Melbourne Saint

Surprised no-ones started a thread- games coming thick and fast...

Really interesting game. An eye very much on Thursday. Assuming no injuries from LASK, Eetu is alive & Spoony not on a ventilator, It's actually one of those games where the bench is almost as important as the starting XI, so a lot of subs.

Think game is too early for Eetu-bench. Can see Hendry upfront. Rest is just a roll of the dice. MOH & Middleton won't play together, bit I'll go for Middleton.

Interesting about Bryson. Either start, or bench & early sub to keep Muzz(?) fit for Thursday. 

Devine at LWB for Booth. Although prone to mistakes, he is a good attacking option. Won 2 pens so far.

Brown replaces Rooney.

Parish

Muller Gordon* McCart*

Brown                                      Devine

Craig   Bryson(if fit)

Spoony                                 May

Hendry/Eetu

Basically, try to give every player that would be starting next Thursday a rest. That's still a decent team to put out.

*Or Kerr, just whoever is in most need of a rest/carrying knocks

I'd happily give this one up to give as great a chance as possible on Thursday. So rest as many of the first eleven as possible.

As above, maybe Wotherspoon to come in if he's stopped isolating to give him game time, although I would expect him to be part of Thurs. We can probably only rest one of the back three, so flip a coin.

Not sure we will see the lesser spotted Eetu from the start given he hasn't trained that much from what I have read, just been running etc. So expect him from the bench...if indeed we ever get the permit for him.

Chance for Ballantyne and I see Gilmour was on the bench last night.

I would really like to see Ballantyne get his chance here. If there is any premiership game where he is going to get that chance this has to be it.

other than that, rest as many as possible ahead of Thursday. Sunday result, whilst not irrelevant, is way down the priority list against a £3m windfall. 

2 hours ago, skivealive said:

Parish

Muller Gordon* McCart*

Craig   Bryson(if fit)

Hendry/Eetu

Basically, try to give every player that would be starting next Thursday a rest. That's still a decent team to put out.

Not sure if Bryson and Eetu will be available, but we also have Gilmour and Ballantyne who I'd like to see play in this one. We could also rest McCart if we were to switch to a back four of Brown - Muller - Gordon - Devine. 

10 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

Not sure if Bryson and Eetu will be available, but we also have Gilmour and Ballantyne who I'd like to see play in this one. We could also rest McCart if we were to switch to a back four of Brown - Muller - Gordon - Devine. 

I like the idea of resting more players, can't see us changing from the back 3 though. I'd like to see Gilmour and Ballantyne too as I haven't really seen anything of them.

4 hours ago, skivealive said:

Parish

Muller Gordon* McCart*

Craig   Bryson(if fit)

Hendry/Eetu

Can't disagree with that. Would give Ballentyne a run.

Give some of the guys the incentive to get in the team on Thursday & show that they can be a productive part of the squad  & trusted if we do end up Thursday/Sunday til Christmas.

Might even be good enough to get 3 points.

18 minutes ago, Pat McGroin said:

Looks like the DAB’s have sold out their end! 

Has the makings of a cracking atmosphere.

I've a feeling big Zander will be rested as he looked in pain after his knee jerked. I think Davidson will rest one or two of the back three. Was Gordon not rested for the Arbroath game?

Will be all the sweeter when we beat Utd with a not full strength saints side. 

I’m pretty surprised by the general attitude of Saints fans towards this game. it’s a big game and will be a big crowd. 

If people think we’re making eleven changes then you’re sadly mistaken. Play as strong a team as possible. Get the win. What better preparation for Thursday.

Obviously rest anyone that needs resting. That goes without saying. Use the bench. Freshen things up. Three changes max. Keep the momentum going.

Got to agree, this year’s league is the toughest for years, giving up points in any game is not an option. Agree that Thursday is huge but what happens if we qualify for the group stages and have another six huge games. We really have to take each game as it comes giving them all the same importance.

16 minutes ago, Bridgendboy said:

Got to agree, this year’s league is the toughest for years, giving up points in any game is not an option. Agree that Thursday is huge but what happens if we qualify for the group stages and have another six huge games. We really have to take each game as it comes giving them all the same importance.

For me, it's actually getting to the group stage that is the aim. We need to do everything we can to give ourselves the best possible chance of getting there and if that means not going full strength for one league match in August then so be it. Obviously if we get to the group stage then we'll need to manage that, but it's this Thursday night that's the big one. That's the one that gets us the huge money and European football until Christmas. If a key player takes a knock on Saturday it could have a huge impact on Thursday's game and I don't think we should be taking that risk.

I do think Callum will probably only make three or four changes, but personally I'd go with:

Parish

Kerr Gordon Muller

Brown Craig Gilmour Devine

Ballantyne Hendry May

That's nine changes from Thursday night.

43 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

For me, it's actually getting to the group stage that is the aim. We need to do everything we can to give ourselves the best possible chance of getting there and if that means not going full strength for one league match in August then so be it. Obviously if we get to the group stage then we'll need to manage that, but it's this Thursday night that's the big one. That's the one that gets us the huge money and European football until Christmas. If a key player takes a knock on Saturday it could have a huge impact on Thursday's game and I don't think we should be taking that risk.

I do think Callum will probably only make three or four changes, but personally I'd go with:

Parish

Kerr Gordon Muller

Ballantyne Hendry May

Totally agree with you the important thing is getting INTO the group stage! then the extra €3 million plus income would allow us am extra player or two

55 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

Parish

Kerr Gordon Muller

Ballantyne Hendry May

Spurs made 11 changes for last nights game in the same competition as us and they were pretty gash by all accounts. Obviously they will restore the big boys for their league match this weekend. We have to do the same, or nearly the same, in reverse, against Dundee United. Perhaps we will have to take it on the chin to ensure our best team goes for the jugular against LASK

1 hour ago, blueheaven said:

Parish

Kerr Gordon Muller

Ballantyne Hendry May

You misspelled Spoony

Looking forward to this one, we have sold out the away end, I expect this to be the usual colourful occasion.  

We are still finding our feet with a new coach, but have plenty useful players to throw into this game.  Interesting tactical battle in prospect.  Chalmers a big miss for us. But I’ll stick my neck out and go for a hard earned narrow victory for United! 

Yeah qualify for the group stage, bag £3m, forget about the tournament and focus on the league, use that money to improve the squad etc.

A lot of players have played Thurs-Sun for the past 3 weeks, played extra time last Sunday, and just played in Austria only arriving back today. Absolutely no point overworking them by playing them on Sunday, it's only 1 game out of 38, it won't define our season in the slightest. Thursday might.

Edited by RandomGuy