Saints v Dundee Utd, Sunday 22/08/21

Melbourne Saint

Alright. That was disjointed as hell. I can accept players really not wanting to play that match, with an eye on LASK. 

When people say we "didn't rest many", yes I was surprised. But CD was clearly concerned that we needed a point at least, because if LASK win on Thursday, we'll all be very flat. 

I was expecting Devine for Booth. Also half expected Brown. No problem with Muller playing. Not many real options in midfield, barring Craig. Obviously Bryson & especially Gilmour not near ready. Surprised subs weren't made earlier.

But it now begs the question, will Devine, Brown play Vs LASK?

Just now, MySpazz said:

United are backed by deep American owner pockets, this is not the two bob team they were. A close match decided by them taking that one chance.... not the end of the world. Thursday matters, this game will quickly be forgotten.

Correct 

11 hours ago, HOODLUM65 said:

Greasy pitch is gonna suit divers like Pawlett, providing he disnae slip and injure himself in the warm up.

Alas, he survived the warm up but not the 95 mins., 

Robson and McNulty were lucky to stay on the pitch.

Ref. was weak but didn't affect the result, although who knows what may have happened had they played with less players.

Saints still lack a cutting edge.

14 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

We literally played the first one the full match today.

Yes we played 3.4.1.2 for 69' then went 4.4.2 . It was obvious after 45' that Middleton was struggling to play the number 10 role, We have 2 players who have successfully played in that position Wotherspoon and MOH. My point is when he brought on MOH, he played an new Formation 4.4.2  With MOH on he could have continued to play 3.4.1.2 with MOH in the number 10 role or 3.4.2.1 with Middleton and MOH behind the striker

On last point and the cmmentators picked up on yesterday. Why have stopped playing it out from the back out tactic now is to punt a long ball to Rooney to head on for on of the forwards. We are a much better team playing it from the back and getting Rooney Middleton and MOH running at and behind defenses.

11 hours ago, Shipa said:

I feel part of our success in Istanbul and Austria was getting in their faces, which they didn't expect us to do. United did that to us today, and we didn't like it!

Yeah I thought this too - I've no idea how United normally play, but yesterday they played exactly the way I think you need to play against Saints to win, i.e. press us all over the pitch and beat us at our own game. 

7 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

Who played left back and left wing when we went 4-4-2?

As I saw and the commentators it 69' O'Halloran for Muller and Hendry for May,

Clark

Rooney         Kerr          McCart      Booth

O'Halloran McCann Davidson Middleton

Hendry Kane

in the 82' Craig for Booth and Craig seemed to up front the number of times he chased the ball back to the keeper. It the changed to a familiar formation but look who was playing where We never played this team on any occasion last season

Clark

Rooney Kerr McCart 

Craig

Hendry Kane

22 minutes ago, Johnny B said:

As I saw and the commentators it 69' O'Halloran for Muller and Hendry for May,

Clark

Rooney         Kerr          McCart      Booth

Hendry Kane

in the 82' Craig for Booth and Craig seemed to up front the number of times he chased the ball back to the keeper. It the changed to a familiar formation but look who was playing where We never played this team on any occasion last season

Clark

Rooney Kerr McCart 

Craig

Hendry Kane

Middleton didn't go left until Booth came off.

Rooney moved back to RCB with O'Halloran as RWB before that.

17 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

By this stage we were a bit of a mess. Sometimes I think all the tinkering with formations during a match just confuses/unsettles the players and does more harm than good. 

Before the changes were made Macca spent a while looking at his manual before showing it to Clelland.That is when it was changed to 4-4-2. Meanwhile Callum was sitting on his chair, maybe the jet lag was getting to him as well.

2 hours ago, blueheaven said:

Yeah I thought this too - I've no idea how United normally play, but yesterday they played exactly the way I think you need to play against Saints to win, i.e. press us all over the pitch and beat us at our own game. 

I think you are spot on here BH!  TC employed the same tactics that have been so successful for Saints last season, high tempo pressure with some highly effective players (Fuchs bossed it) in the mix. Fine margins in this league, Saints looking a bit jaded, and probably had Thursday in mind, not easy to peak 3 times a week for 3 consecutive weeks.  I thought we would shade this one for those reasons and although it’s early days TC definitely getting more out of the players than MM, everyone at Tannadice is looking down the league for now, relief to get another 3 points on the board as you no doubt saw and heard at the full time.  

Ref will likely be at Stranraer next week what a t***.

2 hours ago, Johnny B said:

Are saying we are wrong there was no back 4, certainly looked like it on tv and to the commentators

Yes, there was no back 4.

Muller off for O'Halloran just saw Rooney move to RCB and MOH as RWB. Rest stayed the same.

Then Booth came off for Craig and Middleton moved to LWB with Craig going into the middle beside McCann and Davidson.

On 8/23/2021 at 9:48 PM, garydavidson said:

I wasn't sure if it rolling through McCarts legs threw him off and he perhaps thought he would have blocked it?

The shot that beat him is always a tough one for a keeper. A keeper is anticipating a much harder shot from there rather than a wee toe poke that just trundled past him.  Good finish all the same, went for accuracy and bagged it!