Saints v LASK Thursday 26/08/21

Melbourne Saint

6 minutes ago, Pat McGroin said:

Absolutely MUST NOT mess with the back line IMO, if Gordy is fit, I’d play the normal back 5.

And that’s a big if, if reports are true that he was seen hobbling around last week. 

I suspect we’ll try much the same as last week, but with Spoony in for Mikey/Glenn

I think we do need something. I like Booth, but I would like us to attack. Devine is young, inexperienced, but he gets penalties! It's a question if you start him, or Booth. I don't know the LASK winger- if he's not got pace, definitely Devine. 

I've said before, Saints tactic is wide, fire a low cross/shot that divides the goalie & defence.

Middleton did it to them 1st leg, & MOH does it too. 

Devine can do it if Middleton doesn't start. If Middleton does, then Booth starts. 

Just now, Melbourne Saint said:

I think we do need something. I like Booth, but I would like us to attack. Devine is young, inexperienced, but he gets penalties! It's a question if you start him, or Booth. I don't know the LASK winger- if he's not got pace, definitely Devine. 

I've said before, Saints tactic is wide, fire a low cross/shot that divides the goalie & defence.

Devine can do it if Middleton doesn't start. If Middleton does, then Booth starts. 

That tactic is bollocks though! 

It doesn’t work!!!

We scored what? Something like a paltry 8 goals at home last season and in the league this term, our only home goal is an OG. 

I'd go with exactly the same XI as the first leg. LASK struggled to cope with our front three of MOH-Kane-Middleton and I think we need to unleash those three again. My only worry is whether Murray Davidson is up to playing Thursday-Sunday-Thursday. He was absolutely crucial to our performance in the first leg - but the fact that he started against United makes me wonder if perhaps Liam Craig's going to start this one.

I'd be surprised if Spoony starts, given his lack of game time of late and the fact that it would mean changing our front three.

5 minutes ago, Melbourne Saint said:

I like Booth, but I would like us to attack.

Have to say I haven't seen much from Devine that suggests he's better at attacking than Booth. Booth is the experienced player and offers us plenty going forward, plus he knows exactly what he's doing at the back. He also links up very well with Spoony (if Spoony plays). I really can't see Devine getting selected ahead of Booth for such a crucial game.

1 hour ago, Pat McGroin said:

That tactic is bollocks though! 

It doesn’t work!!!

We scored what? Something like a paltry 8 goals at home last season and in the league this term, our only home goal is an OG. 

So... Mr Humpty, what do you suggest???!!!;

I await a staggering formation that will bellow goals like a Bukkake...

Edited by Melbourne Saint

I think the creativity that spoony and Booth together bring make it a no brainer 

Harsh on Middleton but he is a better impact sub than spoony, he seems to pick up the pace if the game well.  I think ohalloran has earned his starting spot.

I'd like to see this starting lineup

Zander

Kerr Gordon McCart

Rooney Muzz McCann Booth

OHalloran Wotherspoon

Kane

11 minutes ago, Pat McGroin said:

Honestly I don’t know. We need more bodies in the middle when the wing backs are out wide. Half the time, we have one player in the box. It’s too easy to defend against. 

Far too easy, we watched half a season of hopeless pishy crosses into no one last season. 3 up top Kane, Middleton and either Spoony or  MOH and give their defenders something to worry about. 

Just now, andy rhodes fancy watch said:

Far too easy, we watched half a season of hopeless pishy crosses into no one last season. 3 up top Kane, Middleton and either Spoony or  MOH and give their defenders something to worry about. 

I much prefer to see Rooney cutting inside and actually trying to get into the box. Maybe we need to attack a bit narrower, between the full back and centre half, rather than hitting the touchline 

16 minutes ago, Abernethy Saint said:

“Bellow goals like a Bukkake” is possibly the worst, and, simultaneously, the best analogy ever written in the English language.

I thank you Sir.

So... That is our new attacking modus operandi? I'd love the press conference....

"Well we peppered them from all angles, forget the gaping hole, we took turns from everywhere.

It was an explosion in the yoghurt factory as far as LASK were concerned..."

Edited by Melbourne Saint

1 hour ago, Pat McGroin said:

I much prefer to see Rooney cutting inside and actually trying to get into the box. Maybe we need to attack a bit narrower, between the full back and centre half, rather than hitting the touchline 

Yeah Rooney put that ball in for MOH in the Galatassary game, did similar on Sunday and no one there. I think if you get him dribbling in the box he is hard to defend against because of his size. Need an old fashioned poacher in the middle of the box.

2 hours ago, Melbourne Saint said:

Booth and Spoony play and link well together. 

They will both start in opinion. 

1 minute ago, THE LARK SAINT said:

North end of East stand had now been opened up

I was mega critical of the club over this and i’m even happier now to give them the praise they deserve for reversing the decision. 

10 years ago, this decision would never have happened. 

Huge thanks to all that club, as well as those who created the fundraiser. 

Having the FCU in situ makes such a difference on the night. Another atmosphere like 2 weeks ago and we could have them rattled.