Saints v LASK Thursday 26/08/21

Melbourne Saint

49 minutes ago, byebyedundee said:

So we’ve just had the most glorious 6 months as a Saintee Supporter and your whining .. The Dream is still alive we’re double cup holders calm down and reflect on our achievements then start crying when we’ve got 309 fans against Albion Rovers and are bottom of the 2nd division 

Of course, wonderful achievements, and nothing will take that away. What I’m disappointed in is the indiscipline: 2 red cards, and then 2 yellows (Clark for dissent, McCann for throwing a ball at a player). No problem losing against a team like LASK, but don’t lose the professionalism.

37 minutes ago, Shaggy Jenkins said:

That was poor. Not using the squad in the united game and not freshening things up around 60 mins has cost us so much 

Wondering if there is substance in the mccart to hibs rumors. Cost is the tie over there and played poorly, and has been below average last three games 

Yep Should have had Spoony on sooner although he did get sent off LAUGH OUT LOUD.Disappointing way to go out and Spoony really should know better.Bit of an anti climax in the end

Just now, Cagey said:

Callum has been guilty of not using his squad all season. He is also slow at making subs. The team have played Thursday / Sunday for weeks now & after 70mins against Gala the legs were gone,the same tonight.

Tie should have been over in Austria if only we could score. Saints nil is al too common.

Muzz we brilliant.Pity there weren't more like him.

I agree and said the same about the 70 mins. Not sure it makes difference but bet the Finn come for European football and it’s over before his work permit. Need a goalscorer

53 minutes ago, Shaggy Jenkins said:

That was poor. Not using the squad in the united game and not freshening things up around 60 mins has cost us so much 

Wondering if there is substance in the mccart to hibs rumors. Cost is the tie over there and played poorly, and has been below average last three games 

60 mins leaving Middleton and Booth on the pitch was criminal from Callum. Everyone in the stadium could see that both were dead on their feet from about 50mins onwards…where did the goal come from!!!

2 minutes ago, R.B.B:- Adz said:

60 mins leaving Middleton and Booth on the pitch was criminal from Callum. Everyone in the stadium could see that both were dead on their feet from about 50mins onwards…where did the goal come from!!!

Yeah, thought Middleton could have got a tackle in & at least put it out for a throw in but he just let the guy make the pass.

O'Halloran seemed to be on his heels all the time & kept mistiming the bouncing ball. Rarely took a man on & when he did he just kicked it into the player.

5 minutes ago, Cagey said:

Yeah, thought Middleton could have got a tackle in & at least put it out for a throw in but he just let the guy make the pass.

O'Halloran seemed to be on his heels all the time & kept mistiming the bouncing ball. Rarely took a man on & when he did he just kicked it into the player.

Yup, Middleton should have done more for their first goal, we should press everything from the front.

As for O’Halloran, none of our creative players got going at all tonight and just looked a bit jaded.

Middleton tried but they just pinched the ball back from him. Rooney looked a bit clueless going forward and O’Halloran was too easily dispossessed and didn’t get the break of the ball.

Murray and Zander only pass marks really.

Fun while it lasted, thats what they say. I think we did okay for large parts of the game, we struggled to string passes at times but nearly caught them out several times. Lask didnt look great at the back, they were there for the taking. We lacked a bit of creativity and one goal would probably have won it for us had we got there first. Last 20 mins was hard to comprehend in the ground without being able to rewind. Probably the right decisions but we've all seen players get away with worse. Some other dubious decisions by the ref and linesman so they were never going to go our way.

What a time to be a fan though, memories for a lifetime. A massive positive was that the fans were fantastic again, a wonderful sight and noise to see at McDiarmid.

Celtic & Rangers pumped out of Champions League & squeezed throughlsy offs in Europa League.

Hibs , Aberdeen & St Johnstone can't even progress in the newly formed Micky mouse Conference cup.

Just confirms the level of Scottish football.

At least Saints didn't disgrace themselves apart from the red cards of

Ain't gonna be too critical on my team.

However, some observations.

Game might have taken on a different perspective if, the Ref. who booked a guy in the 8th or 9th minute, (which I thought was soft), yet failed to issue a yellow card to 2 further fouls which merited cards.

The Lask players played the first 70 mins. making sure they had plenty guys behind the ball.

Spoony should have been on at 60mins., not after we go a goal down. (But, I'm not the Manager)

Murray and McCann were brilliant,  though Ali nearly put us in trouble with 1 bad pass. (We're lucky to have him)

Lask identified the threat, by swiftly closing down our wide players.

Kane had to battle in the air for every forward ball, which meant any he won were gobbled up by the Lask defenders. 

When we won possession and looked likely to break forward, we lost momentum,  surrendering possession with a poor pass.

Thought we were better against Galatasaray.

Onwards and upwards.

Let's focus on our league position.

Haste ye back Liam Gordon.

P.s. Hope the Fin gets his work permit soon.

20 minutes ago, Strawman said:

I was just about to say same thing, empty seats in every stand, 6 empty seats beside where I was on East and 2 behind us, loads of empty seats dotted about. Brief look back on tv after game confirmed lots of empty seats. Main stand probably only half filled.

Supposedly quite a few pinged by the covid app as well.

When asked on radio Scotland what he has learned as a young manager what he has learned from these matches he said one way is not always the right way. He has stuck with his wing back system (which I like) but maybe , especially with Gordon missing it is time to try a back 4.

Very proud of the team and what they have achieved over the last 10 years but went to bed not long after the final whistle.
So disappointed we did not go through to the group stages, so disappointed Wotherspoon and Rooney got sent off, so disappointed Middleton never put away one of his chances and so disappointed that I feel this way after the team gave their all.
What did we learn? We still struggle to score especially at home and Rooney is not a centre back. 
I was talking to my brother on the phone at the end of the match. We laughed when the Arabs signed the over the hill Mulgrew and concluded that last night with him in the centre between Kerr and McCart (in Gordon’s absence) we may not have lost 2 goals also the Gordon is the man that holds the back 3 together. We heard that in action when the stadium was empty.
Still disappoint this morning and I can only imagine how the players and staff feel but a long season ahead and it starts on Sunday. I feel honoured to support this team and will be ready to cheer them on always. 
Well done staff, players and those behind the scenes you have made me feel very privileged to be a St Johnstone supporter.

Surprised that anyone is questioning the tactics or the manager.

The game was finely balanced at half time and it was always going to be one goal that seperated two evenley matched teams; there was no fluidity in midfield and Lask had done their homework keeping McCann queit, they actually reminded me of Saints.

Small margins change these games and if we had scored in the first half maybe Lask would have lost their shape and we could have gone on to win.

I don't think we anyone bar Muzz had a great game but it was a battle; Kane had two players on him all game and MOH and MIddleton were dissapointing.

Zander was outstanding again and you can see the confidence coursing through him.

The reds were correct decisons and just a a bit unfortunate.

Proud to see the majority of the big crowd stay until the final curtain and applaud the team for a great effort.

Disappointing as it was its been a hellova ride  !

I was getting annoyed at how we kept losing possession so easily and howfing the ball into the air when there were passing options. I thought some players were looking tired (unsurprisingly) after the hour mark and I was screaming out for Spoony to add a bit of composure in midfield and the potential for quality passes to our attackers...didnae expect that kind of chop though  :D

Muzz for me was outstanding and big beardie in goal showed why he's had a call up.

Although I never saw it I did hear about the linesman getting coins/lighter thrown at him which could result in another fine. Sad really considering the effort fans put in to cover the last on (€3000 for pyro) 

A game mixed with positives and negatives though, we've obviously played better and our squad size showed due to our lack of options, more so in final 3rd. Players will get a well earned rest after Sunday, just who'll still be there begs the question or will we be seeing new faces  ? 

One last thing...to the guy shouting over to the board members more so Brown .. "aye look at them f*****g smiling and laughing now, bet you b******s are glad we're oot, no have tae put yer hands in yer f*****g pockets ya rat b******s"......if yer reading this lad, give yer head a wobble, we've just lost out on a potential £3m ya dobber  :D

After sleeping on it, I'm less angry and just proud of what we've seen.  We went toe to toe with two big big European teams, and with a bit of luck or ref decision here or there the outcomes could have been different.

Considering some of the St Johnstobe matches I've been to in my lifetime, the last few months has been the stuff of utter fantasy.  

I hope the players put an arm around spoony and it doesn't affect him too badly.  An adrenaline fueled mistake, move on.