Saints v LASK Thursday 26/08/21

Melbourne Saint

I don't think that Lask side are particularly good. One or two players looked good on the ball, but there were plenty of times over the two legs where we made them look very ordinary. I'd be surprised if they make it through the groups...man that will be galling to see who we might have played.

Overall last night, we just didn't have enough quality on the ball to make it count. A few half chances, nearly but not quite.

Gordon is a big miss in that back three and for all the credit Kerr and McCart have been getting its the unit that is impressive more than the individuals.

Those two chances in the first leg when we were 1-0 up are where I think we lost the chance to get through.

Callum has a task now to pull them back up and to go again.

22 minutes ago, MrBored said:

I don't think that Lask side are particularly good. One or two players looked good on the ball, but there were plenty of times over the two legs where we made them look very ordinary. I'd be surprised if they make it through the groups...man that will be galling to see who we might have played.

Overall last night, we just didn't have enough quality on the ball to make it count. A few half chances, nearly but not quite.

Gordon is a big miss in that back three and for all the credit Kerr and McCart have been getting its the unit that is impressive more than the individuals.

Those two chances in the first leg when we were 1-0 up are where I think we lost the chance to get through.

Callum has a task now to pull them back up and to go again.

Still pot 1 seeds though. 

10 minutes ago, Brian Potter said:

Hate to say it but we’re basically back to where we were this time last season regarding the formation and not scoring goals. 

Bringing on May and Hendry as your “impact subs” will have us relegated. They’re not good enough.

I’d get May off the books and I suspect Hendry might go too. May will be on a good wage and he is not justifying it. 

Its very obvious where the weakness in our team is - scoring goals. Our defence has been outstanding, possibly the best in our history but realistically we will loose most if not all of the back three in the not too distant future. Some tough decisions to be made going forward and any replacements will have to be absolutely spot on.

11 minutes ago, Pat McGroin said:

I’d get May off the books and I suspect Hendry might go too. May will be on a good wage and he is not justifying it. 

If only we could get someone to take May,Hendry & possibly Mikey but don't think we will get anyone to take them or they would be willing to move.

2 hours ago, slf said:

Covid red zone.no fans allowed. Did you not know that ?

Strangely after 16 months of watching football during Covid I never noticed that all the subs were sitting in the stand. When you take in the red zone ,the pipers zone ,the main stand was only half full.

12 minutes ago, Cagey said:

Strangely after 16 months of watching football during Covid I never noticed that all the subs were sitting in the stand. When you take in the red zone ,the pipers zone ,the main stand was only half full.

Saw the crowd quoted as 8800 odds but it was nowhere near that busy!!

19 minutes ago, Cagey said:

If only we could get someone to take May,Hendry & possibly Mikey but don't think we will get anyone to take them or they would be willing to move.

I still think MOH has a role to play as a squad player. His pace coming off the bench is a decent option.

Hendry needs to be starting most weeks at his age which ain’t happening with us.

I can’t see May even scoring a penalty right now. His confidence has gone. It’s sad to see. 

Absolutely gutted about that. I think we paid the price for not putting that game to bed in the first leg when we were on top. Callum then pushed those guys through another full game v United and again last night we really needed something fresh from the 60th minute mark.

It is understandable how it then fell to pieces, some nice moves by them and Rooney lost his man twice. Still convinced the penalty was the wrong choice and the ref took a long time to call it.

Can only assume Spoony was frustrated from his time out and then getting a fair hefty shove in the back when he did come on. Just as the mistake McCart made in the first leg it was a very rare lack of judgement from Spoony.

I thought the FCU were absolutely immense last night, exactly what has been said before they create amazing atmosphere and they cut out the idiocy.

Murray Davidson though :shock: some performance! 

Fairly sure that is the last time we will see Ali McCann in a Saints strip, for now. Hope we have a composed midfielder lined up.

12 minutes ago, Cagey said:

Funny how we see things differently. I don't think he went past his man once. Always caught on the back foot & never anticipated Kane's knock downs. He did run about a bit though but never did anything.

Yeah agree with that.His anticipation is very poor and doesn't read the game well

1 hour ago, Cagey said:

May and O'Halloran signed new 2 year deals just a few months ago, there's no chance either leave in this window.

First time I've ever left a game before the final whistle. Angry at the time - right behind the goal and thought the penalty was soft, also though Callum should have been making the changes sooner, guys have played their hearts out twice a week and it was showing. More disappointed than angry now, not so much at the players as for them.

Felt LASK were that little bit quicker than us, that little bit stronger in the challenges, read the game that little bit better, small margins but make a big difference at this level. Really thought we were still in with a shout until the reds started flying.

Ultimately, still very proud of what we have achieved, and now we can concentrate on defending those cups!

2 hours ago, garydavidson said:

Thought MOH put in a superb effort last night.

I have to agree with Cagey I thought MOH tried but was pretty ineffective all night. He'll come again but there was no hitting the bye lines and getting decent crosses in from him or Middleton.

1 hour ago, Cagey said:

I know. Bad judgement from Callum.

Last season Callum could do no wrong. Gave Saints their best season ever,hole in one ,breaking course record.

Don't agree at all. CD sees these guys in training every day and knows the market for a similar type quality player. Both May and MOH have parts to play this season and I still think Callum Hendry will turn the corner.

Having watched the game again, or at least some of it, I have 2 things to say about the referee that can be printed.

1. In a red card fast draw contest he would beat Willie Collum hands down.

2. Should he not have declared that the LASK no.8 was his brother in law?  How else did the guy get to commit carnage all over the pitch and not even be spoken to let alone yellow carded?

1 hour ago, Abernethy Saint said:

Aww that’s nice. I thought they were a typical Germanic team - not outstandingly good, but well-organised, quite honest, persistent, fit and huge. I doubt they will be troubling the knockout stages.

Looking at their group, I’m pretty sure they will reach the knockouts. They’re not outstanding but they are top seeds and it makes their progress significantly easier.