Saints v LASK Thursday 26/08/21

Melbourne Saint

3 hours ago, The Real Saints said:

Looking at their group, I’m pretty sure they will reach the knockouts. They’re not outstanding but they are top seeds and it makes their progress significantly easier.

Yeh, now I’ve seen the draw, you’re quite right. Not only will they probably go through, but I think we would have stood a decent chance of doing the same.

I think what was frustrating about last night is the saints team of the 2nd half of last season would have won that game. Combination of fatigue, injuries, usual slow start to season and some poor decision making was our undoing.

The players will learn from this though and so with the manager and coaches.

You could tell LASK had the experience at this level, especially when they went ahead.

I think the other factor is that while we have 3-4 good technical players, the european teams seem to have 6-7. Not to say that makes them better, but when they get in front, they can keep the ball much better and zip it about more.

Moving on from this, this will be where Davidson can show just how good a manager he is. If he can get the players fired up on the back of this and use the disappointment positively, then we can go on to have a really successful season. If they players wallow over this and we loose too many players, we could struggle.

Scotland will have 5 european places again next season, so not impossible we can get one of them again. I'd argue better than 50/50, so provided we have the same core squad this time next year, the learning over the last 4 weeks couple prove invaluable. 

8 hours ago, cristo said:

Pulling Rooney into central defence when Gordon called off was a big mistake for two reasons. 

One, Roo is not a great defender and two, we lost his attacking threat down the right wing.

Muller could easily have slotted in to Gordon's position. 

Not sure what convinced Callum it was a good idea. Would be fine if they were just playing high balls.

Was no surprise to see which defender lost their man at both goals.

• 5 weeks later...
2 hours ago, rik2304 said:

Another fine due to objects thrown at the linesman.

Saints midfielder David Wotherspoon has also been handed a three-match ban after he was sent off for throwing an elbow at opponent Florian Flecker seconds after making his way on to the McDiarmid Park turf.

Callum Davidson’s side were beaten by LASK 2-0 in Perth, which saw the Austrian visitors win the Europa League Conference play-off match-up 3-1 on aggregate. Saints have been found guilty for the "throwing of objects" by supporters during the loss and handed down a fine of £1,900 (Scotsman)

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, Saintdunc said:

I see LASK have topped their group so we were beaten by no mugs

They are near the bottom of their league with very few wins. We should have beat them over the 2 legs even without new signings.

The fact they are top of their section makes even more galling.