The greatest ever St Johnstone moment?

ex-montrosesaintee

While we all discuss tomorrow's game, and next Thursday's potentially momentous occasion for our wee club, YouTube threw this up in my recommended videos.  

Without this moment of utter magic we wouldn't be where we are this week.  We wouldn't have experienced the highs and lows of Galatasaray, or even lifting that famous trophy last season.

Is this the greatest single moment in our club's long history?  

I wonder what the atmosphere would have been like had a full crowd been there to witness it...

Zander was excellent that game, with the penalties as well. Probably one of the strangest if not greatest moments in St Johnstone history, think there has been a lot of great moments this year. Ali's penalty in this game to win it. 2 cup final goals, Hibs semi final, Middeleton's freekick against St Mirren, goal to get us top six,hard to pick. 

Edited by Rob

39 minutes ago, St. Paddy said:

Cool. Cool as a cucumber.

That was the turning point, when the modern era started.

Everything else since then has been in the shadow of treanors penalty against aidrie all those years ago 

It's right up there. Interestingly, maybe it's not the greatest single moment, but one of the most iconic. How may other goals could saints fans know what one it is just by the bit of commentary?

For me, it is either May's 2nd in the 2014 semi vs Aberdeen or Maccas goal in the final. at that point, we all knew we had won the cup. 

Stevie May scoring the winner against the Dons in SC semi final at ibrox will never be topped for me.

Only around 3500 Saints fans there to witness it in the flesh after league cup semi gubbing by Dons at Tynecastle earlier in season.

Never felt emotion like it, tears streaming down my face as realised the impossible dream, we had reached the long sought promised land. And that was as soon as the 2nd goal went in, just knew we were going to be in final, no nervous finish for a change.

local lad who had been getting slagged all game by opposition WTFISM came up with the goods twce when it mattered most and sent us into our first ever SC final, everything else that has happened since stems from this game.

St johnstone had arrived on big stage and have not looked back since,

Club, players, managers, fans no longer dreamers but believers.

Saintee til i die, COYS

6 hours ago, St. Paddy said:

Everything else since then has been in the shadow of treanors penalty against aidrie all those years ago 

I reckon I'd argue that the turning point, when the modern era started, was the opening of McDiarmid Park. If we hadn't moved to McDiarmid Park, I think there's a very good chance that none of what's followed would have happened.

Best on-field moment for me is probably Macca's winner in the 2014 Cup Final - but it's so hard to separate the many, many incredible moments we've had over the years. Zander Clark winning that header in the quarter final against Sevco is also absolutely huge. But then let's not forget Paul Kane's header in 1999 that sent us into Europe for the first time in nearly 30 years.

8 hours ago, lang toon saintie said:

Perhaps not the greatest moment but "The Airdrie game " must surely deserve an honorable mention.

21 hours ago, St. Paddy said:

^^

I missed that goal! Grrr Had to help my daughter do something so went down after Rangers scored. Got a text an hour later from a guy I work with saying Saints on for the cup double then and I’m thinking what you on about so looked up score and obviously I’d missed one of the best parts of the whole season! Got to say I’ve watched it a tone since tho haha

1 hour ago, BrechinSaintee said:

I missed that goal! Grrr Had to help my daughter do something so went down after Rangers scored. Got a text an hour later from a guy I work with saying Saints on for the cup double then and I’m thinking what you on about so looked up score and obviously I’d missed one of the best parts of the whole season! Got to say I’ve watched it a tone since tho haha

My neighbour, a massive h*n, did the same in reverse. Turned over after Rangers scored, then went to bed, woke up to dozens of texts. Naturally, I was very sympathetic.......

On 8/21/2021 at 8:04 AM, TheYellowBox said:

It's right up there. Interestingly, maybe it's not the greatest single moment, but one of the most iconic. How may other goals could saints fans know what one it is just by the bit of commentary?

For me, it is either May's 2nd in the 2014 semi vs Aberdeen or Maccas goal in the final. at that point, we all knew we had won the cup. 

Spot on comments, Zanders was not just iconic, but a Roy of the Rovers moment, something so rare it will be talked about for ever. 

But greatest moment for me was winning the cup, and when macca scored, you knew it was ours.

On 8/21/2021 at 11:58 AM, montrosesaintee said:

I wonder what the atmosphere would have been like had a full crowd been there to witness it..

You forget that Rangers fans don't wait until the end of the game before heading out. I expect there would have been more Saints fans in the ground at the point of that goal going in.

13 minutes ago, pezza70 said:

Kane’s header and Main’s save that put us into third spot and the real champions in my eyes of that season.

Going from winning the challenge Cup to the double is up there with man discovering fire, walking on the moon and Australian winning a gold medal in the Winter Olympics haha

This is probably my favourite moment. I was 13 and in my seat at the back of the Ormond, I remember it clear as day. Folk in tears around about me etc. 

Although 2014 topped it in the grand scheme of things, the magnitude of that day sucked all the enjoyment out of the game for me until the final whistle. 

I was too emotionally drained to enjoy it. But the open top bus tour the next day made up for that. What a joyous occasion. 

Other notable games, 7-2 Against the Dee and strangely always remember scudding Well 5-0 in Perth. What’s the time? 5 past Woods. 

Edited by Pat McGroin