Zander

SaintJet

16 minutes ago, Cagey said:

Will be surprised if Zander, Rooney & McCart are still here in January. If they are they will probably sign PCA's with other clubs. Either that or we will accept up to max £100 k to go in January rather than lose them in summer for nothing.

With our money from  top 6, winning 2 cups & Europa money we can afford not to let them go for peanuts.

Presume this means, we can't afford to let them go for peanuts.

Who was the last club to deal in peanuts "in the transfer market"?

13 minutes ago, HOODLUM65 said:

Presume this means, we can't afford to let them go for peanuts.

Who was the last club to deal in peanuts "in the transfer market"?

Is it what they call a double negative.

Not sure what ICT allowed McCart to go for but I think it was peanuts.

I think at your your age Hoodlum you would be familiar with the term:laugh:.

38 minutes ago, Cagey said:

Is it what they call a double negative.

Not sure what ICT allowed McCart to go for but I think it was peanuts.

I think at your your age Hoodlum you would be familiar with the term:laugh:.

39 minutes ago, R.B.B:- Adz said:

Preston and Wigan I believe.

Are you suggesting they didn't Shell out? :laugh:

Edited by HOODLUM65

Transformation in Clark's form since the spring has been remarkable. Everything about his game as well, positioning is great, handling is solid, kicking is better and, the true value of any keeper, he's making big saves that influence games. And obviously he's cut out the mistakes, that were all too frequent. Huge credit to him for turning it around. 

Short career etc... etc... but he would do very well to remember the loyalty that the last two managers showed him when he wasn't playing well and ask himself if he'd be afforded the same luxury elsewhere. Being a reserve goalkeeper is very different to being a reserve full back or striker, the opportunities to actually play are far more limited. But then a few (or a lot) extra quid week maybe make that palatable. 

He certainly didn't give off desperate to stay vibes though when we was asked about his situation a few weeks ago. Wants to play at the highest level etc... 

Every player should be allowed to go and play at a higher level. However, I would hope all 3 of those that might be looking to move onwards (Rooney, McCart & Clark) have the honour and respect for the club to sign a new contract with a minimum fee release clause so that the club gets some money from their exit rather than nothing.

Depending on how long McGregor continues for, I could see Clark going to Rangers before long.

2 hours ago, Radford 72 said:

Transformation in Clark's form since the spring has been remarkable. Everything about his game as well, positioning is great, handling is solid, kicking is better and, the true value of any keeper, he's making big saves that influence games. And obviously he's cut out the mistakes, that were all to frequent. Huge credit to him for turning it around. 

Short career etc... etc... but he would do very well to remember the loyalty that the last two managers showed him when he wasn't playing well and ask himself if he'd be afforded the same luxury elsewhere. Being a reserve goalkeeper is very different to being a reserve full back or striker, the opportunities to actually play are far more limited. But then a few (or a lot) extra quid week maybe make that palatable. 

He certainly didn't give off desperate to stay vibes though when we was asked about his situation a few weeks ago. Wants to play at the highest level etc... 

Really good post and you beat me to it. The standard Zander is playing at just now is bound to attract attention.

I think we should throw serious money at him to sign a new contract; the chances are he'll be gone anyway but at least we'd get some decent money.

On 9/27/2021 at 10:19 AM, SaintJet said:

Really good post and you beat me to it. The standard Zander is playing at just now is bound to attract attention.

I think we should throw serious money at him to sign a new contract; the chances are he'll be gone anyway but at least we'd get some decent money.

Steve Clarke disagrees - that's Zander snubbed from the Scotland squad again

1 minute ago, templeofsaints said:

Steve Clarke disagrees - that's Zander snubbed from the Scotland squad again

Absolutely mad. The in form keeper in scotland. Still the right side of 30(just). Could have years ahead of him as a Scotland keeper, and yet they go for a mediocre rangers second/third choice. What a disgrace. 

19 minutes ago, Shibbydoo said:

What a fukin joke. 

Can't tell you how angry I am about this!

Zander has been recognised as man of the match several times this season and to snub him just when he is getting a foothold on the international scene is pathetic! This needs to be callled out. Hope Callum lets Clark know how he feels. TW would have went mental!

How do any of us know that Zander wasn't a complete shambles at the last Scotland squad. For all we know, he made howler after howler in training and Kelly played to a higher standard. I get the disappointment, but realistically it's not worth getting upset at a coin flip squad position for third choice goalkeeper!

Scotland squad: Goalkeepers: Craig Gordon (Hearts), Jon McLaughlin (Rangers), Liam Kelly (Motherwell).

No Zander what a disgrace. Easily the best keeper in Scotland but He picks his favourite Gordon He selects McLaughlin just to have Rangers players in the squad, he does not even play regularly, he did the same with their full back last season. He choses Kelly not a patch on Zander.

Zander should tell him where to go if he comes crawling back. It almost put you off supporting Scotland

1 hour ago, Widge said:

How do any of us know that Zander wasn't a complete shambles at the last Scotland squad. For all we know, he made howler after howler in training and Kelly played to a higher standard. I get the disappointment, but realistically it's not worth getting upset at a coin flip squad position for third choice goalkeeper!

Cheers Stevie! Say hi to Walter Smith for me ;-)

It looks weird from the outside, but yeah, we don't know how Zander did in training. Maybe Liam Kelly aced it and Zander just did okay. But from the outside it looks strange to have McLaughlin and Kelly in the squad ahead of Zander (who plays behind a similar defensive system and has played really well in big games since the Scottish Cup Semi).

And obviously it's not Steve Clarke's job to care about this, but because Jason Kerr's moved away in part because he doesn't think he'll break into the Scotland squad at Saints, it's incredibly frustrating to see Zander out of this squad especially when he's out of contact. It actively harms our chances of keeping players if the impression they get is of Saints harming their chances of a Scotland call up.

(On another note, you'd have thought Ralston and Watt would be in with a shout for this squad)

On current form, Zander should be an automatic second choice - Gordon is rightfully number 1. That would normally get you a few cap over time. The idea that he is, at best, 4th choice is ridiculous and bizarre. And, as someone said, if Marshall got a loan gig with Rotherwednesday Rovers or whoever, he would probably drop to 5th. 

If Clarke was going to pick or play Zander he would have done so before now.

He was only in the squad the last time due to others not being available.

No St Johnstone player will get a game for Scotland as we are still seem as s diddy team & can't have players of Scotland class.

1 hour ago, Cagey said:

If Clarke was going to pick or play Zander he would have done so before now.

He was only in the squad the last time due to others not being available.

No St Johnstone player will get a game for Scotland as we are still seem as s diddy team & can't have players of Scotland class.

We can however be a breeding ground for Canada, Malta, NI and any other forward thinking nation that can genetically tie a player from Saints to their nation!

**Edit** Zander of course is Greek, tying back to Alexander the Great, and literally means defender of men. He'd have to oust Odysseas Vlachodimos though, but a solid number 2.

Edited by Cleveland-Saint