Saints v Saint Mirren - Sunday, 29 August

NaeAFakeSaint

I hope you don't mind me creating your match thread for you. I can imagine you're all focused on your game on Thursday, but this is my first game since 11 March 2020, when Obika scored our winner against Hearts, so I'm really looking forward to this.

As I said in the other thread, I hope you win on penalties on Thursday! It's always good to see Scottish sides do well in Europe, that includes the Old Firm. :)

I think your performance on Sunday will be heavily influenced by the result on Thursday, and whether it goes into extra-time or not. So I will reserve my predictions for now.

Come on the real Saints (the ones from Paisley!)!

18 minutes ago, slf said:

Wow a guest match thread starter .

cheers dude ye must be keen.

your new ground is pish the old one was Braw.Tanser is a knob .

spoons next choo choo station is Braw but there’s nae trains fae Perth on a Sunday.

stick tae being a buddy we are the proper saints ya bass.

I'm like a wean waiting for Christmas, pal. I like the new ground now, created enough new memories and it needed modernising, anyway..

We desperately need a win. 

32 minutes ago, SaintJet said:

I don't think guests of away fans should be starting our match threads; I have a pretty succesful track record for starting match threads so will start one for this game and the mods can merge it if they see fit.

Jealousy will get ye nowhere chief.

a nice wee innovation fae yer buddy saint.

I say let it run on a trial if ye like.

3 hours ago, NaeAFakeSaint said:

I hope you don't mind me creating your match thread for you. I can imagine you're all focused on your game on Thursday, but this is my first game since 11 March 2020, when Obika scored our winner against Hearts, so I'm really looking forward to this.

As I said in the other thread, I hope you win on penalties on Thursday! It's always good to see Scottish sides do well in Europe, that includes the Old Firm. :)

I think your performance on Sunday will be heavily influenced by the result on Thursday, and whether it goes into extra-time or not. So I will reserve my predictions for now.

Come on the real Saints (the ones from Paisley!)!

WTF

34 minutes ago, ejksjfc said:

There is only one "real Saints" and we don't feel the need to clarify who that is.

1) We were founded in 1877, seven years before you.

2) There is no saint called Johnstone. Aye, I know the history - Perth was called St. John's Town or something - but there's no saint by that name. There is a Saint Mirren (also spelled Mirin).

So we're the originals and you're the fakes. :)

2 hours ago, SaintJet said:

I don't think guests of away fans should be starting our match threads; I have a pretty succesful track record for starting match threads so will start one for this game and the mods can merge it if they see fit.

To be fair, I did rub my hands together with glee as I considered the title! However I thought it would be a bit wide to come on your forum and take the piss, so I followed the established format. :)

Edited by NaeAFakeSaint

No away support at this game apparently. Red zone or something and cant accomodate our massive support now.

Before Im told to wash my mouth it, maybe we should drop the St from our name if we are going to be playing all of these European games, they all seem to want to just call us Johnstone, even the abbreviation on the telly last week.

Edited by Rob

38 minutes ago, Rob said:

No away support at this game apparently. Red zone or something and cant accomodate our massive support now.

Before Im told to wash my mouth it, maybe we should drop the St from our name if we are going to be playing all of these European games, they all seem to want to just call us Johnstone, even the abbreviation on the telly last week.

That red zone must be huge if there isn't room in the rest of the stadium for a few hundred Saints fans.

They must think no away fans gives them an advantage.

1 hour ago, Rob said:

Aye, it's a shambles from us. I think this is a terrible decision - away fans help create an atmosphere, plus we could easily accommodate you. 

Plus it's understandable why some Perth Saints might have bought tickets:

stsawayfans.thumb.jpg.2b3ccd000263f3eefd0102e79f3de36b.jpg

The above was part of a statement which was later edited, apparently. Plus our site was, and probably still is, labelling the North Stand as being for away fans. 

1822757089_Screenshot2021-08-2418_29_47.png.ea15f8692bf943524ac55fe20ee868b8.png

Aye, just checked - it still is: https://www.stmirren.com/matchtickets

I think its a game where we have to give it a real good go. Both teams should fancy the points. The more efforts on goal the better. Id rather see Saints put balls past the post, deflected for corners or even force their keeper to make saves rather than skirt round the box waiting for the perfect moment to never come. I think this team are a little guilty of getting the ball at the D and playing it out wide again.

1 hour ago, Rob said:

I think its a game where we have to give it a real good go. Both teams should fancy the points. The more efforts on goal the better. Id rather see Saints put balls past the post, deflected for corners or even force their keeper to make saves rather than skirt round the box waiting for the perfect moment to never come. I think this team are a little guilty of getting the ball at the D and playing it out wide again.

We're guilty of that, too. I'd prefer us to run at defenders and also be willing to shoot from outside the box, but like you we tend to faff about with the ball.

We've lost at home to Hearts and got hammered at Celtic Park. Our solitary point came away at Dundee, who haven't looked great themselves. I really hope you have a hangover from Thursday. 

6 minutes ago, NaeAFakeSaint said:

It's a disgrace that you can't be, IMHO. Many Paisley Saints feel this way, including Div - the owner of our forum and Pie and Bovril. 

Having away fans there, bit banter, creates an atmosphere, players feed off that. Not having away fans is not necessarily an advantage.