Sign in to follow this  
SaintJet

St.Johnstone V Rangers - Saturday 11th September

Recommended Posts

Rangers visit us on Saturday for the early game.

I assume there will be a lot of interest in this game from Rangers point of view still smarting from us dumping them out of the Scottish cup!

We of course start a new era with a new captain and a midfield grafter after Jason's and Ali's departure.

We'll get an idea of how we are going to fair this season playing against a very strong Rangers side.

Time for Saints to show their teeth and get our season off the ground.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SaintJet said:

Rangers visit us on Saturday for the early game.

I assume there will be a lot of interest in this game from Rangers point of view still smarting from us dumping them out of the Scottish cup!

We of course start a new era with a new captain and a midfield grafter after Jason's and Ali's departure.

We'll get an idea of how we are going to fair this season playing against a very strong Rangers side.

Time for Saints to show their teeth and get our season off the ground.

 

New Captain will not be playing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Templar Saint said:

New Captain will not be playing

Someone that's playing will be captain, maybe he'll be the new captain,  maybe he'll be standing in until a new captain is announced.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Am I right in saying we are 4 days away from this game and club still don't have home tickets on sale?

I'm a ST holder, so doesn't directly affect me, but that's really poor from Saints.

I doubt there will be many home fans that don't already have a ST that want to go, but still.....

Anyway, on the game, it's maybe not a bad game to have as our first without probably 2 of our most influential players now. Hopefully with Rangers players being away on international duty and returning from Covid, we can be a bit fresher.

How we set up defensively here will probably not be much of a guide as to how Davidson will set up going forward. I think he will go with a back 4 and have Mazz and Liam starting in midfield.

Feeling it will be Kane on his own up top and Eetu on bench.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, TheYellowBox said:

Am I right in saying we are 4 days away from this game and club still don't have home tickets on sale?

I'm a ST holder, so doesn't directly affect me, but that's really poor from Saints.

I doubt there will be many home fans that don't already have a ST that want to go, but still.....

Anyway, on the game, it's maybe not a bad game to have as our first without probably 2 of our most influential players now. Hopefully with Rangers players being away on international duty and returning from Covid, we can be a bit fresher.

How we set up defensively here will probably not be much of a guide as to how Davidson will set up going forward. I think he will go with a back 4 and have Mazz and Liam starting in midfield.

Feeling it will be Kane on his own up top and Eetu on bench.

I don’t think we’re doing a public sale on account of the CB’s having sold out their allocation. It’s like Galatasaray. Buy through a ST holder. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Pat McGroin said:

I don’t think we’re doing a public sale on account of the CB’s having sold out their allocation. It’s like Galatasaray. Buy through a ST holder. 

Yeah, I totally get that and it's the right way to go, but the club hasn't told the season ticket holders how to go about buying the extra tickets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TheYellowBox said:

Am I right in saying we are 4 days away from this game and club still don't have home tickets on sale?

Not quite sure what the issue is with ticketing but clearly there are still problems. I don't really get why the club doesn't have tickets for the next three or four home games all on sale at the same time.

On this match - I reckon we'll probably see both Crawford and Eetu on the bench. MacPherson seems most likely to replace McCann. Not sure what the back three will be if Gordon is still out (has that been confirmed anywhere?). Wouldn't be surprised to see Rooney again played at RCB and Brown at RWB. I reckon Kane will play through the middle on his own, with Spoony and MOH on the flanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

Not quite sure what the issue is with ticketing but clearly there are still problems. I don't really get why the club doesn't have tickets for the next three or four home games all on sale at the same time.

On this match - I reckon we'll probably see both Crawford and Eetu on the bench. MacPherson seems most likely to replace McCann. Not sure what the back three will be if Gordon is still out (has that been confirmed anywhere?). Wouldn't be surprised to see Rooney again played at RCB and Brown at RWB. I reckon Kane will play through the middle on his own, with Spoony and MOH on the flanks.

Spoony probably wont be back until Friday (canada playing early hours of Thurs morning our time) so would be surprised to see him start given travel etc. I suspect Crawford starts in there for this one. 

Edited by John Bonham
Typo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Could we see eetu and kane up top together and moh or crawford in behind? With no middleton, and spoony likely to not be back in uk until Friday I’m struggling to see how we put together a front 3 so that could work instead? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sure I read something about Spoony not landing in Scotland in the early hours of Friday morning 

not so sure he will play ne very mind start

my early thoughts 

Clark

Rooney Muller Mcart 

Brown Davidson McPherson Craig Booth

MOH  Kane Crawford 

ps

 

Possibly E2 instead of Crawford or MOH but unsure if he will be throwing 3 players in at once for debut

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, THE LARK SAINT said:

I'm sure I read something about Spoony not landing in Scotland in the early hours of Friday morning 

not so sure he will play ne very mind start

my early thoughts 

Clark

Rooney Muller Mcart 

Brown Davidson McPherson Craig Booth

MOH  Kane Crawford 

ps

 

Possibly E2 instead of Crawford or MOH but unsure if he will be throwing 3 players in at once for debut

 

The old hit-them-with-12-players approach. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Apparently Sevcos Swedish defender doubtful. Patterson out. Normally, this would be a good time to play them, but we've got worse problems than them. I would've thought 5 midfield, but MacPherson out stuffs that. Spoony bench. Crawford starts.

Could Booth play CB? Otherwise it most likely will be Rooney there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Melbourne Saint said:

Could Booth play CB? Otherwise it most likely will be Rooney there. 

Booth could play but that would mean bringing McCart into the middle. Might be worth it to keep Rooney at RWB though - Devine has looked ok on the left side. Plus if we're missing Spoony/Middleton there's no worry about Devine having to link up the way Booth does. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, garydavidson said:

Indeed, he is not a defender. Hopefully Callum doesn't need to see him there again to realise that.

Agree with this in the long-term, but under the current injury circumstances I think we might see him used there. I'm now thinking we might see something like this on Saturday:

______________Clark

_____Rooney _ Muller _ McCart

Brown __Gilmour __Craig ____Booth

___MOH _____Crawford/Vertainen

______________Kane

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this