St.Johnstone V Rangers - Saturday 11th September

SaintJet

Thought Brown did well. Intact the whole back 5 did well. We also have Ambrose , Dendonker , Gordon & Booth available.

We went through last season with 3 centre backs & had to use them all season & we were lucky not to lose any players. Fast forward to this season & already had to use loads more of the squad so just as well we look like we are well covered.

12 hours ago, saintee in exile said:

Rangers fans losing their sh*t over Liam Craig on twitter going down too easily after the pen.Eh he got straight back up and certainly didn't make a meal of it.What are they like!

He was t down for long. Once he went down didn’t take him long to get up and away to the half way line while it all kicked off LAUGH OUT LOUD

On 9/11/2021 at 10:41 PM, bluesaint said:

It would help if we had a PA system that isn’t 30 years old.... ours is terrible when you hear others, loud PA system with decent music gets the crowd pumped 

For some reason the PA in the North stand is night and day compared to the main stand from my experience of the European games. Far clearer and far louder and looked a lot newer as well.

11 hours ago, rik2304 said:

I continue to be impressed that we've never been hammered under CD. 

Especially from the OF. Even under Tommy we'd get some serious hidings.

Very much so. Other than the Celtic game at the end of last season when we were Covid-ravaged, we have been in every single game under CD.

Actually, the worst performance was probably the one game where he started with a back four, away to Livingston, which is what makes me think he's not likely to rush back to that in a hurry. 

Even the 3-0 defeats to Rangers, we played well but just made bad errors at silly times. 

As said though, you haven't really come away from a single game under CD thinking we've been massively second best there. 

The only really disappointing game this season has been United, where he should have made more changes. Other than that, we are playing well and that's what you are looking for at this stage of the season. That points you far more towards where you'll be in May than spawning a few undeserved wins. 

That's another benefit of being in this league so long, you kind of know how it pans out. First season up we were playing well but not getting results. They came. The first full season under Lonas. Likewise. Then again last season.

So much to be pleased with on Saturday but the way the manager got a new defence gelled is really encouraging. The competition between Muller, Dendoncker, Ambrose and now maybe Brown for that spot beside Gordon and McCart is going to be fierce and should really bring something out of hopefully at least a couple of them.

Three tough games coming up and results might not fall our way yet but if the performances are there again, there will be no need to become concerned. 

Under the circumstances I thought it was a good performance. Muller perhaps showed his inexperience with giving away the penalty, but on the whole I think he's a really impressive young defender and the more he plays, the less likely errors like that will become. Brown also seems to be really growing into the team the more he plays, and I'm glad we put him into the back three to allow Rooney to play in his best position - hopefully we've seen the last of those two playing the other way around. As @Radford 72 says above, we suddenly have a lot of competition for places at the back and that can only be a good thing.

Also think MOH deserves a shout-out for the work he's put in this season, which was rewarded with a terrific goal. Just a pity we couldn't cling onto that lead.

I know Eetu didn't get long on the pitch but I thought he looked potentially very impressive - eager to get stuck in and confident enough to try that outrageous overhead kick with virtually his first touch (and it wasn't all that far away from hitting the net either).

I would like CD to be a bit more pro-active with his subs though. I feel other teams are changing things against us and then we end up having to be reactive. We really went for it at the end of the game on Saturday but it took us a while to make that shift.

On the whole I remain positive about the way things are going this season, despite some fairly baffling negativity on here over the last week or so.

26 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

I would like CD to be a bit more pro-active with his subs though. I feel other teams are changing things against us and then we end up having to be reactive. We really went for it at the end of the game on Saturday but it took us a while to make that shift.

I really feel that has been our undoing this season, so many times it has been obvious that a change has been needed but he seems to wait very late into games to make subs.

Edited by garydavidson

10 minutes ago, garydavidson said:

I really feel that has been our undoing this season, so many times it has been obvious that a change has been needed but he seems to wait very late into games to make subs.

Agree with that. In most games it has been obvious late in the games we needed to freshen things up. On Saturday it was obvious Spoony was struggling and also Crawford who has not played much football recently. In the European games & some league games we have lost the games in the last 20 mins. To my mind that is down to lack of use of squad ,not only subs but if he had used his squad against United we might have had fresher legs against Lask who are not a great team . I think the Saints game is the only one they have won this season.

Yeah we used to see subs at 60-70 mins, but now it seems last 10 mins when its all a bit late. Seems to be the tactic if things are okay we just stick with what we've got whereas we should be aiming for better than that and go for the 2nd goal. Nice not to get humped by the OF. MOH goal was the best finish from a Saints player in a long time.

21 minutes ago, south inch said:

Anyone know what the crowd was?  Not given by the BBC, Hootsmon report or the official site.  Looked around 7,000 to me.

It’s just about impossible to find anywhere that gives the crowd now, certainly during the game, and increasingly even after it. I think because the big stadia in the UK are filled to capacity every single week, it’s no longer considered a thing. But it is if you support a wee club.

5 hours ago, blueheaven said:

Under the circumstances I thought it was a good performance. Muller perhaps showed his inexperience with giving away the penalty, but on the whole I think he's a really impressive young defender and the more he plays, the less likely errors like that will become. Brown also seems to be really growing into the team the more he plays, and I'm glad we put him into the back three to allow Rooney to play in his best position - hopefully we've seen the last of those two playing the other way around. As @Radford 72 says above, we suddenly have a lot of competition for places at the back and that can only be a good thing.

Also think MOH deserves a shout-out for the work he's put in this season, which was rewarded with a terrific goal. Just a pity we couldn't cling onto that lead.

I know Eetu didn't get long on the pitch but I thought he looked potentially very impressive - eager to get stuck in and confident enough to try that outrageous overhead kick with virtually his first touch (and it wasn't all that far away from hitting the net either).

On the whole I remain positive about the way things are going this season, despite some fairly baffling negativity on here over the last week or so.

And in the end, when you play the old firm.............you always come away feeling cheated!

18 hours ago, mainstand said:

The sun stating that Kent got kicked pushed and shoved all over the park. 

The ref needed eyes in the back of his head

And McDiarmid is the worst playing surface by a country mile. 

Obviously someone didn't like his half time pie :rolleyes:

And You read the sun ?

20 hours ago, Abernethy Saint said:

It’s just about impossible to find anywhere that gives the crowd now, certainly during the game, and increasingly even after it. I think because the big stadia in the UK are filled to capacity every single week, it’s no longer considered a thing. But it is if you support a wee club.

Our Prediction section gives an unconfirmed crowd of 7310.  Strange we have become coy, BBC give crowds for all last weekend's games except us Celtic and Albion Rovers!

18 hours ago, rik2304 said:

That's probably the closest. Consider some of our embarrassing ones under TW though.

22 hours ago, sixties saintee said:

Does 4.0 against Tics last season count as a hammering ?

To be fair given the team he had out that night, which was at the peak of the Covid issue, I am sure CD said that coming away with a 4-0 defeat felt like a decent result. 

1 hour ago, mainstand said:

To be fair given the team he had out that night, which was at the peak of the Covid issue, I am sure CD said that coming away with a 4-0 defeat felt like a decent result. 

Ref gave Celtic a freekick for a passback which clearly wasnt a passback which led to the 1st goal and just handed Celtic even more of an advantage. Complete farce.