Dundee V St.Johnstone - League Cup quarter final

SaintJet

They through everything at us, and once or twice Clark kept us in it. In general we looked quite solid, although McCart's passing was sometimes a bit wayward. Brown did well before he came off, but MOH slotted in there too, I sometimes think he's better in that position. Rooney sometimes looks more of a natural striker than our actual strikers. Booth and Wotherspoon are so key on that left-hand side, if either one isn't there then our attacking intent is severely diminished. 

The only disappointment was Middleton, who never really got going. May looks a bit more purposeful and confident since his goal. 

24 minutes ago, Linky said:

They through everything at us, and once or twice Clark kept us in it. In general we looked quite solid, although McCart's passing was sometimes a bit wayward. Brown did well before he came off, but MOH slotted in there too, I sometimes think he's better in that position. Rooney sometimes looks more of a natural striker than our actual strikers. Booth and Wotherspoon are so key on that left-hand side, if either one isn't there then our attacking intent is severely diminished. 

The only disappointment was Middleton, who never really got going. May looks a bit more purposeful and confident since his goal. 

In the first half McCart was poor,just laughing the ball,usually out for a throw or by kick. Second half he was more like himself ,taking the ball down & passing out of defence. Agree that Booth & Spoony have to work together. I feel in the first half Spoony was too close to the other midfielder.

May does look to be back to near his old self and did more in the time was on than Kano did the whole game ,although the ref never gave him anything either.

25 minutes ago, Cagey said:

May does look to be back to near his old self and did more in the time was on than Kano did the whole game ,although the ref never gave him anything either.

I wonder if we might see a May-Vertainen partnership tried out within the next couple of fixtures. Possibly not at Easter Road where I'd imagine we'll be quite cautious, but potentially in the game after that which is Dundee at home. Just starting to feel that Kane and Middleton could perhaps do with a break, and we have plenty of alternative options now.

39 minutes ago, Cagey said:

In the first half McCart was poor,just laughing the ball,usually out for a throw or by kick. Second half he was more like himself ,taking the ball down & passing out of defence. Agree that Booth & Spoony have to work together. I feel in the first half Spoony was too close to the other midfielder.

Don't agree with this at all. Kano as usual run himself in to the ground chasing down everything and being a complete pest to the Dundee rearguard. I think he looks the fittest I've ever seen him. People overlook, understandably, the amount of work he puts in.

2 hours ago, SaintJet said:

Don't agree with this at all. Kano as usual run himself in to the ground chasing down everything and being a complete pest to the Dundee rearguard. I think he looks the fittest I've ever seen him. People overlook, understandably, the amount of work he puts in.

I am one of Kane's biggest fans but last night he never got past a defender once kicking the ball against their legs & he & Middleton didn't gel . More pointing out the difference  May made who I have slagged off a few times this season.

2 hours ago, blueheaven said:

I wonder if we might see a May-Vertainen partnership tried out within the next couple of fixtures. Possibly not at Easter Road where I'd imagine we'll be quite cautious, but potentially in the game after that which is Dundee at home. Just starting to feel that Kane and Middleton could perhaps do with a break, and we have plenty of alternative options now.

Kane and O’Halloran vs hibs 

8 hours ago, Cagey said:

I am one of Kane's biggest fans but last night he never got past a defender once kicking the ball against their legs & he & Middleton didn't gel . More pointing out the difference  May made who I have slagged off a few times this season.

That's a bit rough on kane. I thought he had a decent enough game. As for May, you would hope a substitute at 67mins (or whatever it was), with fresh legs- against a tiring defence would offer something new- that's in part what subs are for. 

The injuries aren't welcome, but that's life. As a squad, Saints have so far proven that we can lose a few and it's given CD a chance to put players such as Brown and Crawford right in it. To think that for the Scum game we were missing Muzz, McPhee, Bryson - and I'll add Gilmour as he can't be match fit, is quite impressive for Saints. Then there's Ballantyne to hopefully get a 30 minute run soon.

Vertainen must be raring to go...

13 hours ago, Saintdunc said:

Who is responsible here? The throwers of said smoke generator, or the equally moronic numpty who kicked it back?

Could we be penalised for this?

Struggling to see why Saints should be penalised for something that happened at Dens Park. Saints can hardly police what goes on in another club's stadium.

That said, I don't think I'll ever understand what some fans' fascination is with smoke.

36 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

Struggling to see why Saints should be penalised for something that happened at Dens Park. Saints can hardly police what goes on in another club's stadium.

That said, I don't think I'll ever understand what some fans' fascination is with smoke.

I understand what you saying. The reverse side away clubs supporters throw flares at our home games who gets fined. 

6 hours ago, Melbourne Saint said:

That's a bit rough on kane. I thought he had a decent enough game. As for May, you would hope a substitute at 67mins (or whatever it was), with fresh legs- against a tiring defence would offer something new- that's in part what subs are for. 

The injuries aren't welcome, but that's life. As a squad, Saints have so far proven that we can lose a few and it's given CD a chance to put players such as Brown and Crawford right in it. To think that for the Scum game we were missing Muzz, McPhee, Bryson - and I'll add Gilmour as he can't be match fit, is quite impressive for Saints. Then there's Ballantyne to hopefully get a 30 minute run soon.

Vertainen must be raring to go...

We have not had Ian McPhee for a long time & ma no bad.:rolleyes:

58 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

Security was a joke. All the guy did was ask to see my ticket. Wouldn't have got into ground without it. I suppose I might have got frisked if I wasn't a pensioner.

Its not too easy to buy fireworks. Is it easy to buy flares ?.

1 hour ago, blueheaven said:

Griffiths apparently facing a five game ban following his decision to boot the pyro back into the crowd.

The individual idiot who launched the pyro onto the field of play should be banned for considerably longer. Hope Dundee have some sort of video surveillance of the crowd going on so that can happen. 

1 hour ago, Saintdunc said:

Griffiths apparently facing a five game ban following his decision to boot the pyro back into the crowd.

The individual idiot who launched the pyro onto the field of play should be banned for considerably longer. Hope Dundee have some sort of video surveillance of the crowd going on so that can happen. 

Oh come on, it’s was a smoke bomb, hardly like someone‘s launched a firework

47 minutes ago, Pat McGroin said:

Oh come on, it’s was a smoke bomb, hardly like someone‘s launched a firework

Could just as well have been a plastic bottle & knocked someone's eye out.

It was reckless conduct and should probably be charged. If not by police then SFA.

He said it was an accident and he was sorry. If it was then he would have stood and put his hand up to apologized instead of running back to take kick off.

If McLean had booked him like he should have it might have been the end of the matter.

1 hour ago, Cagey said:

It was reckless conduct and should probably be charged. If not by police then SFA.

He said it was an accident and he was sorry. If it was then he would have stood and put his hand up to apologized instead of running back to take kick off.

If McLean had booked him like he should have it might have been the end of the matter.

Griffith's charged by police Scotland for culpable and reckless behavior. They must read my posts :laugh:.

5 minutes ago, andrew said:

Everyone, including the media, seems to fail to point out that Griffiths ran from his own half to kick the flare/smoke bomb. Am I wrong? Where was he on the pitch when we scored?

Yeah it's probably a major reason he's actually been charged. Can see the rest of the players in the park almost back in position for kick off as he's booting the flare.

Only himself to blame.

1 hour ago, Cagey said:

You’ve taken my quote the wrong way. Dunc said that whoever initially threw the smoke bomb should be banned for considerably longer, I was suggesting that might be a bit dramatic! 

They need to stop with the smoke bombs in the stadium. Just embarassing really. Outside the stadiums its a police matter and nothing to do with club but this kind of thing could stop our fans being allowed in to away games etc. just because of one daft person. Honestly they need to pack it in.