Dundee V St.Johnstone - League Cup quarter final

SaintJet

Griffiths is a sad sad person who seems to have issues and who, so far as I can tell, does absolutely nothing to help himself.  He knew exactly what he was doing when he walked over to kick that flare towards the stand, a view shared by a number of Dundee fans  who now want to see the back of him.  He is on a slippery slope and it is not going to be pleasant to watch his demise, 

The guy who threw the flare just did something daft in the heat of the moment but to me it was very unpleasant to hear a group of Saints' fans hurling vile abuse at Griffiths which had nothing to do with football.  We should leave that sort of thing to the fans of clubs who are often mocked on here for just that sort of behaviour.

2 hours ago, south inch said:

The guy who threw the flare just did something daft in the heat of the moment 

Let's not make excuses here. Whoever threw that flare had obviously pre-planned it as they brought one to the ground.

If its the FCU again then it's just yet another example of them acting up at away games, and this will be yet another fine they've managed to get sent the clubs way.

2 hours ago, south inch said:

Griffiths is a sad sad person who seems to have issues and who, so far as I can tell, does absolutely nothing to help himself.  He knew exactly what he was doing when he walked over to kick that flare towards the stand, a view shared by a number of Dundee fans  who now want to see the back of him.  He is on a slippery slope and it is not going to be pleasant to watch his demise, 

The guy who threw the flare just did something daft in the heat of the moment but to me it was very unpleasant to hear a group of Saints' fans hurling vile abuse at Griffiths which had nothing to do with football.  We should leave that sort of thing to the fans of clubs who are often mocked on here for just that sort of behaviour.

I think the abuse is justified. He's a public figure, and the abuse is based on his abhorrent behaviour.

Very different from abusing someone based on race/gender/sexuality/...

3 hours ago, south inch said:

You were doin well until you said in the heat o the moment. No it was premeditated.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy said:

Let's not make excuses here. Whoever threw that flare had obviously pre-planned it as they brought one to the ground.

If its the FCU again then it's just yet another example of them acting up at away games, and this will be yet another fine they've managed to get sent the clubs way.

Surely any fine here would fall on Dundee? 

Unless we bring our own Stewards, it’s the job of the home stewards to make sure that no one is bringing anything into the ground that they shouldn’t? 

1 hour ago, california_saintee said:

I think the abuse is justified. He's a public figure, and the abuse is based on his abhorrent behaviour.

Very different from abusing someone based on race/gender/sexuality/...

He was being accused of being a paedophile, did I miss the court case where he was found guilty of such a charge?

3 hours ago, south inch said:

He was being accused of being a paedophile, did I miss the court case where he was found guilty of such a charge?

Whether you like it or not, football fans do not pay attention to a conviction (or not) in a court of law. (Many rapists get off on technicalities for example). I'm not condoning it, but fans will always go for that sort of stuff. The worst I've heard is chanting to a player who's father was terminally ill with cancer. That to me is a no go area.

4 hours ago, Pat McGroin said:

Surely any fine here would fall on Dundee? 

Unless we bring our own Stewards, it’s the job of the home stewards to make sure that no one is bringing anything into the ground that they shouldn’t? 

It doesn't work that way. Away teams still bear some responsibility for the actions of their fans. We regularly bill the Uglies for seat replacement. We'll get a fine, especially as Griffiths' looks like he'll cop some form of punishment.

19 minutes ago, sleepless said:

In the heat of the moment he threw a flare he just happened to have premeditatedly brought to the stadium with him?

Not defending the guy, he broke the law the minute he brought the flare into the ground, you would have difficulty in law proving he intended to throw it but he must have at least intended to set it off.

1 hour ago, south inch said:

Not defending the guy, he broke the law the minute he brought the flare into the ground, you would have difficulty in law proving he intended to throw it but he must have at least intended to set it off.

Perry Mason would struggle to get him off, young anes won't understand.

21 hours ago, Melbourne Saint said:

It doesn't work that way. Away teams still bear some responsibility for the actions of their fans. We regularly bill the Uglies for seat replacement. We'll get a fine, especially as Griffiths' looks like he'll cop some form of punishment.

There is a material cost to seat damage. There isn’t to a smoke bomb on the touch line. 

if someone threw a flare and burned the pitch, I’d expect us to be billed for repair costs. 

The fines are a UEFA thing, I don’t think the SPFL are switched on enough to bother about those. 

This is a governing body that is HAPPY that it’s member clubs have went over their heads to try and secure additional revenue. 

Turkeys. 

On 9/24/2021 at 3:03 PM, south inch said:

you make an Important point about the incessant abuse towards LG, for several consecutive matches now there appears to be people in the stands who will not be happy till the guy tops himself. We all enjoy a bit of witty banter but IMO this is now becoming something else.

I think you are being very generous to the individual who threw the flare though, never understand why a fan would put their own club in trouble, for what?

23 minutes ago, Smarmy Arab said:

you make an Important point about the incessant abuse towards LG, for several consecutive matches now there appears to be people in the stands who will not be happy till the guy tops himself. We all enjoy a bit of witty banter but IMO this is now becoming something else.

I think you are being very generous to the individual who threw the flare though, never understand why a fan would put their own club in trouble, for what?

Few years ago at Hampden they were aw on there feet cheering him tae the rafters.

3 hours ago, Smarmy Arab said:

Is this the guy who plays for the same team where almost an entire stand of their supporters used to bellow “Alan Main, alki dad!!” on loop for 45 minutes every single time the teams met for his entire career. Now that is “incessant”.

Leigh Griffiths has strutted around Scottish football for the last 10 years acting like Bertie Big Potatoes and loves to give a bit back to fans.

Leigh Griffiths, married with children, was also allegedly texting a young girl asking her to send him pictures.

Leigh Griffiths was also allegedly filmed a few years ago singing about a player in the same league from the Czech Republic being a f****** rufugee.

Leigh Griffiths was also allegedly pictured standing above the crowd waving a tri-coloured Republic of Ireland flag at a football match. (Still no idea why Scottish football tolerates Union Jacks, Ulster and Republic of Ireland flags at a football match never mind a professional in that league waving it).

Leigh Griffiths also, on numerous occasions, ran the length of the pitch to tie a Celtic scarf to goalposts at Ibrox in order to antagonise the opposition.

Leigh Griffiths was also filmed running half the length of a pitch, before booting a smoke bomb into a crowded stand of supporters.

Forgive me if I don’t have a lot of sympathy for people singing songs taking the pi** out of the guy.

If that abuse were to become “incessant” and a sinister agenda against the guy were to emerge, I would not condone that whatsoever, however, at the moment it appears it’s football fans being football fans and involving a guy who is more than capable of stoking the fire when it suits him.

Edited by R.B.B:- Adz

16 minutes ago, Smarmy Arab said:

The treatment Alan Main received from the Derry was cruel, unnecessary and pretty outrageous…..and LG allegedly did stuff…..so it’s all fine!:roll:

There's nothing alleged about it, it's a stone cold fact Leigh Griffiths messaged a 15yo girl to call her hot.

1 hour ago, R.B.B:- Adz said:

Is this the guy who plays for the same team where almost an entire stand of their supporters used to bellow “Alan Main, alki dad!!” on loop for 45 minutes every single time the teams met for his entire career. Now that is “incessant”.

Yep, and if you go back and watch the Saints v Dundee game from 1999 you'll hear that there was racial abuse aimed at Miguel Simao every time he touched the ball.

However - with apologies for the cliche - two wrongs don't make a right. I don't want to hear footballers being subjected to personal abuse at matches. We can't say "the other team's fans have done it (or done it worse), so it's OK for us to do it". And we can't say "that's just the way football fans are." We are the fans. If we want to change these things, it's up to all of us collectively to change them.

For me, the stuff being aimed at Leigh Griffiths during that match was unacceptable. And it's not the only unacceptable thing I've heard from Saints fans at matches. I'd like for us to be much better than this.

7 hours ago, blueheaven said:

Yep, and if you go back and watch the Saints v Dundee game from 1999 you'll hear that there was racial abuse aimed at Miguel Simao every time he touched the ball.

However - with apologies for the cliche - two wrongs don't make a right. I don't want to hear footballers being subjected to personal abuse at matches. We can't say "the other team's fans have done it (or done it worse), so it's OK for us to do it". And we can't say "that's just the way football fans are." We are the fans. If we want to change these things, it's up to all of us collectively to change them.

For me, the stuff being aimed at Leigh Griffiths during that match was unacceptable. And it's not the only unacceptable thing I've heard from Saints fans at matches. I'd like for us to be much better than this.

I was disgusted at Pittodrie some seasons back when a small number of our fans were singing about Jamie Langfield's wife. That was vile.

As for abuse directed towards Alan Main or Leigh Griffiths, that's out of order, whether 1999 or 2021. We take one aspect of a person's character, magnify it out of all proportion and write them off accordingly. It's hardly civilised and can't be written off as banter or merited.

48 years you've won *%€$ all. Double cup winners, you'll never sing that. That's good stuff. The personal abuse isn't. I'd also like us to be much better than this.

13 hours ago, Smarmy Arab said:

Leigh Epstein.