St.Johnstone V Dundee - Saturday 2nd October

SaintJet

Dundoncker started nervously in first 10 mins with poor control & short passed but he came on to a decent game & looked comfortable.

If Rooney & McCart go in January then I think we are covered.

Kane & May who looks fitter & stronger linked well.

Strolling & playing nice passing football ,then  Middleton should have made it 4 until Dundee scorrrd with a badly defended corner . We then looked a bit nervous & stopped passing & started just punting up the park.

They threw everything at it after they scored but we held them.

I think Callum has brought in a decent squad. Crawford & McPherson look good in midfield.

4 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

I'll read into it that its a lot of shite, tbh.

The club didn't just randomly select him at random, nor did they chuck money at the deal as a punt.

He'll be getting eased into the Scottish game in the same way as Melamed, and will be given time to adapt before getting chucked in. If they did play him before he was ready, and he struggled, youd get folk like yourself on hear calling him a shite hopeless imposter who'll never make it, and I'm not sure who that helps.

Give him time. Hes just turned 22 and is living, and playing, in a foreign country for the first time.

Like you did with Darnell Fisher?For your information,I’ve never called a Saints player shite,since Gordon McGregor,but since heard that one of our coaches lost the plot at him this week,but maybe you know better than him?.

Edited by dave mc

1 hour ago, dave mc said:

Like you did with Darnell Fisher?For your information,I’ve never called a Saints player shite,since Gordon McGregor,but since heard that one of our coaches lost the plot at him this week,but maybe you know better than him?.

Take it that was McLean? Anyway, if what you say has substance, then it sounds like "this is the st.johnstone way. If you don't fit, forget it". 

Fair enough. Let's just hope he takes whatever advice was given, knuckles down and pushes on in training. Callum has instilled a very strict ethos in the group which is the reason we can cover for injuries/ players leaving.

16 minutes ago, Cagey said:

Lost his man at their goal but otherwise a rock. Wonder why Livi kept him on as youth coach & didn't register him as s player ,even for backup.

Watched it a few times. He out jumps Rooney (not Ambrose) to score and seconds before that Sheridan out jumps Rooney for a header on target. One of the reasons I do not like Rooney as  centre back.

Once everyone is fit I expect to see Ambrose Gordon and McCart as our back 3. Now the big question where do you play MOH arguably one of our best players this season in numerous positions. As Wright and Davidson say he is a confidence player and that confidence is shinning through so you cannot bench him on this vein of form.

Edited by Johnny B

6 hours ago, dave mc said:

Yeah I was a complete fanny back then and have tried to be more sensible and give players time since.

Coaches ranting at players isn't new, that doesn't mental they've decided he's shite or that he's going to flop. I wouldn't even be surprised if it's just a daft initiation that every player goes through once they think they've settled in and gotten comfortable.

10 minutes ago, Johnny B said:

Watched it a few times. He out jumps Rooney (not Ambrose) to score and seconds before that Sheridan out jumps Rooney for a header on target. One of the reasons I do not like Rooney as  centre back.

Once everyone is fit I expect to see Ambrose Gordon and McCart as our back 3. Now the big question where do you play MOH arguably one of our best players this season in numerous positions. As Wright and Davidson say he is a confidence player and that confidence is shinning through so you cannot bench him on this vein of form.

Iin Dundee cup game Callum brought on MoH to replace Brown & played him at rwb and he changed the game. I was hoping he would keep playing him there. Through nicesiity y he had to play him there yesterday.. I hope he keeps him at rwb.

3 hours ago, Cagey said:

Iin Dundee cup game Callum brought on MoH to replace Brown & played him at rwb and he changed the game. I was hoping he would keep playing him there. Through nicesiity y he had to play him there yesterday.. I hope he keeps him at rwb.

I am not disagreeing or agreeing with you  so where does Rooney play when Ambrose Gordon and McCart are available to fill the back 3

10 hours ago, dave mc said:

I thought  Gordon mcgregor was Tom tit as well.nought wrong with your memory ,your going back someways there.

11 minutes ago, Johnny B said:

I am not disagreeing or agreeing with you  so where does Rooney play when Ambrose Gordon and McCart are available to fill the back 3

Up front he’s a nutter .other teams will shit it whilst may and Kane just tap the ball in the net.

36 minutes ago, Johnny B said:

A problem for Callum but a good one. We have options all over the park.

Remember last season when we had to play the same players (almost,)every week. We were very lucky with injuries.

1 hour ago, Johnny B said:

Think you drop Ambrose out and put Gordon is as CB.

Against stronger teams when we play on sitting in you take Rooney out the back 3 and bring in Ambrose.

Think that's my thoughts on it.

1 minute ago, RandomGuy said:

Against stronger teams when we play on sitting in you take Rooney out the back 3 and bring in Ambrose.

My thoughts Rooney not a centre back He should only fill in  on an emergency. Ambrose a natural center back, My opinion MOH or Rooney at RWB

15 minutes ago, Ginger Bakers rebel army said:

5,097 at the game, must be close to 4,000 saints fans yesterday, great to see the East Stand so busy.

Quality throughout the squad and it looks like the support is starting to believe there’s more to come from this team.

Braw

2 hours ago, Ginger Bakers rebel army said:

5,097 at the game, must be close to 4,000 saints fans yesterday, great to see the East Stand so busy.

Quality throughout the squad and it looks like the support is starting to believe there’s more to come from this team.

We MUST keep hold of McCart, he is real quality. Rooney’s cult status suggests that it would be a good idea to keep hold of him aswell.

I thought that was a really clever team selection from Callum on Saturday. Normally I've been wary of Rooney at RCB but I think he's really grown into the position and Dundee found it impossible to cope with having both him and MOH rampaging up that right-hand side. And with two strikers on the pitch the guys out wide had more to aim for than they sometimes do. I think we really saw how much more effective it is to get the ball to the byeline and cut it back low across the box for our strikers to take with their feet, instead of humping it in high from the wings like we were doing in the early stages of Callum's reign.

Pity the Sportscene highlights didn't show either of my two favourite moments from the game - Ambrose skinning a couple of their strikers without breaking out of walking pace, and Rooney's dribble through their half and into their box.

Haven't seen anyone else mention but I thought MacPherson looked really good when he came on. Lively and positive on the ball with a nice touch and eager to get involved. I think our midfield options are looking really strong with Crawford also in there now and Bryson and Davidson on the way back.

Trying not to get too carried away with that result though, as I have to say I think this Dundee team is as poor as any opponent I can remember seeing us play against at Premier League level. I worry we'd struggle if we played that line-up against the better teams in the league - but in a game like Saturday's where we knew we'd get plenty of opportunities to attack, it really paid off.

20 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

My feeling is it'll have to be one or the other of them. Gordon and Ambrose are both naturals in the middle of the three, but I struggle to see either of them at RCB or LCB. Interesting dilemma for the manager once CD comes back. I just hope it doesn't lead to too much tinkering.

On 10/3/2021 at 12:52 AM, dave mc said:

I don't think it's helpful to spread this kind of stuff. This probably happens to players in training all the time. I'm sure he'll get his chance.