St.Johnstone V Dundee - Saturday 2nd October

SaintJet

27 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

I don't think it's helpful to spread this kind of stuff. This probably happens to players in training all the time. I'm sure he'll get his chance.

The adjective used by a fellow player about his ability doesn’t happen with every player, I’m hoping it’s a settling in problem, but not confident 

Good performance. I think MOH is the best right wing-back we have, and Rooney is growing into the centre back role. My sense is that, when all are fit, from left to right McCart, Gordon, Rooney may be our first pick centre backs with Dendoncker, Ambrose and Muller their replacements.

MOH was excellent, and has added to his game this season picking out good passes. Kane and May played well, MacPherson was good when he came on. Still disappointed not to see Eetu for at least the last few minutes as Kane looked really tired towards the end. Do we know how much say Davidson had in his signing? It seems to be a strange one, just like Melamed last year.

1 hour ago, Linky said:

Good performance. I think MOH is the best right wing-back we have, and Rooney is growing into the centre back role. My sense is that, when all are fit, from left to right McCart, Gordon, Rooney may be our first pick centre backs with Dendoncker, Ambrose and Muller their replacements.

MOH was excellent, and has added to his game this season picking out good passes. Kane and May played well, MacPherson was good when he came on. Still disappointed not to see Eetu for at least the last few minutes as Kane looked really tired towards the end. Do we know how much say Davidson had in his signing? It seems to be a strange one, just like Melamed last year.

There's Brown competing for a place in that defence too, of course. Terrific options at the back for us at the moment.

On Eetu - I reckon he would probably have come on if we'd still been cruising, but with Dundee starting to come into the game a little more we opted for a more defensive change to see out the match. I wouldn't be worried about him not being Davidson's signing. I think CD's just very, very cautious about introducing players who don't know the league.

2 hours ago, blueheaven said:

There's Brown competing for a place in that defence too, of course. Terrific options at the back for us at the moment.

On Eetu - I reckon he would probably have come on if we'd still been cruising, but with Dundee starting to come into the game a little more we opted for a more defensive change to see out the match. I wouldn't be worried about him not being Davidson's signing. I think CD's just very, very cautious about introducing players who don't know the league.

He wasn't cautious at introducing Dendonker when Muller had played a few games and only mistake was  tackle against Kent who will always go down on the box.

35 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

He seems to not like playing Muller on the left, as far as I can tell.

Yes, there seems to be a clear sense that Muller is on the right, Ambrose centre, Dendonker left. That's why I think, despite him playing so well, Ambrose may be dropped when Gordon comes back rather than being moved to the right or left.

12 hours ago, Linky said:

Yes, there seems to be a clear sense that Muller is on the right, Ambrose centre, Dendonker left. That's why I think, despite him playing so well, Ambrose may be dropped when Gordon comes back rather than being moved to the right or left.

I believ our back 3 when all available to play will be Ambrose Gordon McCart 3 natural central defenders.

When a manager tries to fit his best players into a team when they are not in their natural positions you are asking for trouble. Old motto pick the best player for the position. 

44 minutes ago, Johnny B said:

I believ our back 3 when all available to play will be Ambrose Gordon McCart 3 natural central defenders.

When a manager tries to fit his best players into a team when they are not in their natural positions you are asking for trouble. Old motto pick the best player for the position. 

... but isn't that taking Ambrose out of his best position?

41 minutes ago, Johnny B said:

No he plays equally well in Right Centre Back and Central Centre Back Kerr is another example as a player who played equally well in centre or right of centre.

I think we’ll keep Ambrose central and use the younger legs to do the running. That was how I envisaged us utilising him from the moment he signed. 

1 hour ago, Johnny B said:

No he plays equally well in Right Centre Back and Central Centre Back Kerr is another example as a player who played equally well in centre or right of centre.

Not sure about that. He basically plays the game at walking pace - I can't see him making the charging runs forward that Rooney/Muller/Brown (and previously Kerr) are able to make from that position.

2 hours ago, blueheaven said:

Not sure about that. He basically plays the game at walking pace - I can't see him making the charging runs forward that Rooney/Muller/Brown (and previously Kerr) are able to make from that position.

I hear what you are saying. Kerr Muller and Brown are selective on their runs forward Rooney is too gung-ho. He charges forward at every opportunity and leaves a big hole in the defence. He does it at wing back and against the better teams we were exposed, How exposed are we when he does it from centre back,. With Rooney at centre back we will always be vulnerable to the counter attack down our right especially if MOH is wing back,

It is just my opinion I would keep a solid back 3 of Ambrose Gordon and McCart.

23 minutes ago, Johnny B said:

I hear what you are saying. Kerr Muller and Brown are selective on their runs forward Rooney is too gung-ho. He charges forward at every opportunity and leaves a big hole in the defence. He does it at wing back and against the better teams we were exposed, How exposed are we when he does it from centre back,. With Rooney at centre back we will always be vulnerable to the counter attack down our right especially if MOH is wing back,

It is just my opinion I would keep a solid back 3 of Ambrose Gordon and McCart.

The game is all about entertainment.and a gung ho Rooney is what you need to get you off yer seat.With a monster like that bearing down on  opponent’s there’s always the possibility of an opportunity for goal.

make the opponents shit themselves 

Just now, slf said:

The game is all about entertainment.and a gung ho Rooney is what you need to get you off yer seat.With a monster like that bearing down on  opponent’s there’s always the possibility of an opportunity for goal.

Wahey 

5 minutes ago, slf said:

That's the old William Wallace spirt :)

Strange there wasn't much comment in a out the the clash of colours on Saturday. Would have thought that one of the teams could have changed their socks at least.

Surprised Saints didn't object to the clash as Dundee should have known there would be a clash.

24 minutes ago, Cagey said:

Strange there wasn't much comment in a out the the clash of colours on Saturday. Would have thought that one of the teams could have changed their socks at least.

Surprised Saints didn't object to the clash as Dundee should have known there would be a clash.

In the world cup teams must have a  dark kit and a light kit to distinguish on black and white TV. I had difficulty in picking out the teams/ To my old eyes the kits looked the same. 

26 minutes ago, Johnny B said:

In the world cup teams must have a  dark kit and a light kit to distinguish on black and white TV. I had difficulty in picking out the teams/ To my old eyes the kits looked the same. 

During the 2016 Olympics I chanced upon a basketball match between Jamaica and Australia.  The kits being worn were very similar as the national colours of both countries major on greens and yellows.  Heroically avoiding the obvious way to tell the players apart the commentator advised us that the easy way to identify the Jamaican girls was by the yellow stripes on their skirts.

1 hour ago, Cagey said:

For some reason Dundee have been allowed to have a dark blue home kit and light blue away kit this season. Completely misses the point of what an away kit is for as the away kit is useless against the other teams in the league that play in blue (a bit like Saints last season, I suppose). For me, Saints should also have worn our away kit against Hibs at Easter Road the week before.

Anyone else remember the game in the 90s where the same thing happened - both of Dundee's two kits clashed with the Saints home kit, so the ref made Dundee wear the Saints away shirt? 

11 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

Anyone else remember the game in the 90s where the same thing happened - both of Dundee's two kits clashed with the Saints home kit, so the ref made Dundee wear the Saints away shirt? 

I remember a Hibs v Celtic game in Gordon Strachan's time where the referee's outfit was very similar to Celtic's then away strip which was mainly black but with thin green stripes.  After the match wee Gordon said he had been concerned at the number of passes made by his players to the ref. but decided on balance to say nothing as he noticed that at corners Hibs always had at least one player marking the referee.

Edited by south inch

1 hour ago, blueheaven said:

For some reason Dundee have been allowed to have a dark blue home kit and light blue away kit this season. Completely misses the point of what an away kit is for as the away kit is useless against the other teams in the league that play in blue (a bit like Saints last season, I suppose). For me, Saints should also have worn our away kit against Hibs at Easter Road the week before.

Surely light blue would have been better, They could at least have changed shorts or socks.