Sign in to follow this  
Melbourne Saint

Saints January '22 Transfer Activity

Recommended Posts

Alrighty, we've rolled into October and the next 12 weeks will potentially see a bit more action.

If previous interest in Rooney & McCart is continued, then we'll face the likelihood of a PCA situation. They could also sign a contract extension, but we'll see. 

Of the loanees I expect CD to want permanent contracts for Devine, McPherson, Crawford ... maybe Ambrose? He stated as much in the aftermath of the last window that offering contracts was a priority & move away from loans.

Should Rooney & McCart go (and I would expect a fairly early offer from Hibs/whomever). Our dude assigned to identifying players will have had enough time to identify defenders. Ambrose may be offered another year at season's end, but we'll need a left sided CD. I wouldn't be surprised if the shortbread tin is opened for an experienced player there.

So, I expect movement in defence. Midfield is quite reasonable. If McPherson & Crawford sign up, Bryson leaves (will Craig too?) in the summer. We have Muzz, Gilmour, Ballantyne & Max. 

I would expect Ballantyne, Gilmour & Max to aim to challenge for a jersey. Next season is very important for them if they have a future with Saints. I think we will need a strong defensive midfielder and wouldn't be surprised if that is on our list either in January, or summer window.

Edited by blueheaven
Title edited

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Melbourne Saint said:

Alrighty, we've rolled into October and the next 12 weeks will potentially see a bit more action.

If previous interest in Rooney & McCart is continued, then we'll face the likelihood of a PCA situation. They could also sign a contract extension, but we'll see. 

Of the loanees I expect CD to want permanent contracts for Devine, McPherson, Crawford ... maybe Ambrose? He stated as much in the aftermath of the last window that offering contracts was a priority & move away from loans.

Should Rooney & McCart go (and I would expect a fairly early offer from Hibs/whomever). Our dude assigned to identifying players will have had enough time to identify defenders. Ambrose may be offered another year at season's end, but we'll need a left sided CD. I wouldn't be surprised if the shortbread tin is opened for an experienced player there.

So, I expect movement in defence. Midfield is quite reasonable. If McPherson & Crawford sign up, Bryson leaves (will Craig too?) in the summer. We have Muzz, Gilmour, Ballantyne & Max. 

I would expect Ballantyne, Gilmour & Max to aim to challenge for a jersey. Next season is very important for them if they have a future with Saints. I think we will need a strong defensive midfielder and wouldn't be surprised if that is on our list either in January, or summer window.

Fair summary but Craig will still be here next season as youth coach/player. Very little game time but backup.

Saints need him around the club.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Melbourne Saint said:

Yes he's not a loan, but if he keeps up his form, I've no doubt we'd be looking for an extension.

 

I doubt it, tbh. It'll be a Conway situation, Ambrose is here for a season to help out and buy us time between Kerr leaving and targets contracts expiring. 

If he plays well then great, we wave him off as a cult hero who done exactly what we wanted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nicked this from Pie & Bovril - our current squad situation:

Goalkeepers

Zander Clark - 2022

Elliot Parish - 2022

Ross Sinclair - 2024

Jack Wills - 2022 - on loan at Brechin City

Craig Hepburn - 2023

 

Defenders 

Shaun Rooney - 2022

James Brown - 2023

Max Kucheriavyi - 2024 - on loan at Brechin City

Hayden Muller - 2022 - on loan from Millwall

Lars Dendoncker - 2022 - on loan from Brighton

Efe Ambrose - 2022 

Liam Gordon - 2022

Jamie McCart - 2022

Sam Denham - 2022

Liam Parker - 2022

Callum Booth - 2022

Reece Devine - 2022 - on loan from Manchester United

 

Midfielders/wingers

David Wotherspoon - 2023

Murray Davidson - 2022

Craig Bryson - 2022

Charlie Gilmour -2023

Cammy McPherson - 2022 - on loan from St Mirren

Ali Crawford - 2022 - on loan from Bolton Wanderers

Liam Craig - 2022

Cammy Ballantyne - 2022 - on loan at Montrose

Alex Ferguson - 2023  - on loan at Edinburgh City

Bailey Pert - 2023

Spencer Moreland - 2022

Jordan Northcott - 2022

Michael O’Halloran- 2023

Glenn Middleton - 2022 - on loan from Rangers 

 

Attackers

Stevie May - 2023

Chris Kane - 2023

Callum Hendry - 2022 - on loan at Kilmarnock

Taylor Steven - 2022

Eetu Vertainen -2023

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, blueheaven said:

Nicked this from Pie & Bovril - our current squad situation:

Goalkeepers

Zander Clark - 2022

Elliot Parish - 2022

Ross Sinclair - 2024

Jack Wills - 2022 - on loan at Brechin City

Craig Hepburn - 2023

 

Defenders 

Shaun Rooney - 2022

James Brown - 2023

Max Kucheriavyi - 2024 - on loan at Brechin City

Hayden Muller - 2022 - on loan from Millwall

Lars Dendoncker - 2022 - on loan from Brighton

Efe Ambrose - 2022 

Liam Gordon - 2022

Jamie McCart - 2022

Sam Denham - 2022

Liam Parker - 2022

Callum Booth - 2022

Reece Devine - 2022 - on loan from Manchester United

 

Midfielders/wingers

David Wotherspoon - 2023

Murray Davidson - 2022

Craig Bryson - 2022

Charlie Gilmour -2023

Cammy McPherson - 2022 - on loan from St Mirren

Ali Crawford - 2022 - on loan from Bolton Wanderers

Liam Craig - 2022

Cammy Ballantyne - 2022 - on loan at Montrose

Alex Ferguson - 2023  - on loan at Edinburgh City

Bailey Pert - 2023

Spencer Moreland - 2022

Jordan Northcott - 2022

Michael O’Halloran- 2023

Glenn Middleton - 2022 - on loan from Rangers 

 

Attackers

Stevie May - 2023

Chris Kane - 2023

Callum Hendry - 2022 - on loan at Kilmarnock

Taylor Steven - 2022

Eetu Vertainen -2023

That's a tsunami of contracts to be worked on. CD will want things tied up pretty quickly.

But then there's the agent factor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I get the feeling McCart will be away to Hibs, but Rooney may sign a new contract.

I imagine we'll be looking closely at Dendoncker to see if they might be able to step in for McCart on a more long-term basis, although everything would depend on Brighton's plans for him. It costs nothing for them to keep him on for a bit longer in the hope he'll turn out good enough for him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Linky said:

I get the feeling McCart will be away to Hibs, but Rooney may sign a new contract.

I imagine we'll be looking closely at Dendoncker to see if they might be able to step in for McCart on a more long-term basis, although everything would depend on Brighton's plans for him. It costs nothing for them to keep him on for a bit longer in the hope he'll turn out good enough for him.

I can't see EPL players signing for Saints. Would think they would probably go to championship or Div 1 team down south.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Cagey said:

I can't see EPL players signing for Saints. Would think they would probably go to championship or Div 1 team down south.

 

Hearts signed a very good midfielder, 22yr old Baningime from Everton. It can be done. It just takes a lot of cash, which Hearts seem to think they have. 

Baningime is a shoe in to be signed by one of the Uglies in the next 12 months.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Cagey said:

I can't see EPL players signing for Saints. Would think they would probably go to championship or Div 1 team down south.

 

Do we even know that Dendoncker is out of contract at the end of the season? I've seen hardly anything said about his Brighton situation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

Do we even know that Dendoncker is out of contract at the end of the season? I've seen hardly anything said about his Brighton situation.

It was announced he signed a 2 year deal with them in 2020.

https://www.brightonandhovealbion.com/news/1749876/albion-sign-lars-dendoncker

No idea if there's a clause to trigger an extra year or not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this