Any Recreational Ice Hockey in Perth?

spaceman3113

Hey guys, I have been playing ball hockey quite alot recently and have always wanted to try playing ice hockey, I know Dundee have a recreational "hockey for all" one. But I was wondering if there was anything similar in Perth? I know the ice is back for public skating this month, but not even sure if they do ice hockey sessions there. I know they have done in the past.

Any help is greatly appreciated! 

Cheers

On 10/7/2021 at 2:20 PM, spaceman3113 said:

Hey guys, I have been playing ball hockey quite alot recently and have always wanted to try playing ice hockey, I know Dundee have a recreational "hockey for all" one. But I was wondering if there was anything similar in Perth? I know the ice is back for public skating this month, but not even sure if they do ice hockey sessions there. I know they have done in the past.

Any help is greatly appreciated! 

Cheers

I believe the nearest you can play ice hockey is Dundee. My daughters play curling and die to the way the ice rink is run in Perth it is very much curling oriented. Yes they have public skating maybe most weekends if no curling on and then closed Monday to prepare ice for the weeks curling again. I have friends in Perth who play ice hockey so will check with them.

• 2 months later...

I go quite regularly to see the Flyers . Unfortunately all the Scottish teams are languishing at the bottom of the uk league although the Stars have went on a run . 
  Used to be Ice Hockey in Perth and the Panthers were popular . Sure I read on here that there was a North American still living in the area from playing in the 60s/70s . Maybe it was APB on Facebook though . 

Edited by Evansabove

1 hour ago, HOODLUM65 said:

1952-55 Mike Mazur Perth Panthers from Saskatchewen.

Also Dundee Tigers 1954-55 in the British National League.

On 10/9/2021 at 11:15 AM, Cagey said:

Jags being done at Dewers rinks. Are they not using the ice rink part now ?.

It's back open to the public but the timetable is very limited - its basically just Saturday and Sunday afternoons. https://www.liveactive.co.uk/Perth/ice-skating

Always thought it was a shame that the place wasn't really designed with the possibility of live ice hockey in mind. I can't skate at all but would definitely go to watch a local team if Perth had one. 

A few years back I went to an NHL match and absolutely loved it.

1 hour ago, blueheaven said:

It's back open to the public but the timetable is very limited - its basically just Saturday and Sunday afternoons. https://www.liveactive.co.uk/Perth/ice-skating

Always thought it was a shame that the place wasn't really designed with the possibility of live ice hockey in mind. I can't skate at all but would definitely go to watch a local team if Perth had one. 

A few years back I went to an NHL match and absolutely loved it.

When I came up a few years back I went to watch Dundee take on Nottingham Panthers. Never understood much of it but it was exciting and full of skulduggery which fans of both teams loved.

My dad used to rave about the Panthers.

Went to see the Vegas Golden Knights in November 2019 last time me and JB were in Vegas . My first and only ever live Ice Hockey match.

One of the best sporting experiences I have ever been to, 20,000 in the T Mobile arena, $125 per ticket and that was the cheapest available. 

Won $1000 dollars on Buffalo Gold after the game,

The Knights were on Freesport on Hogmanay , brilliant game, can’t wait to get back to see them again, worth every penny.

1 hour ago, Ginger Bakers rebel army said:

My dad used to rave about the Panthers.

Went to see the Vegas Golden Knights in November 2019 last time me and JB were in Vegas . My first and only ever live Ice Hockey match.

One of the best sporting experiences I have ever been to, 20,000 in the T Mobile arena, $125 per ticket and that was the cheapest available. 

Won $1000 dollars on Buffalo Gold after the game,

The Knights were on Freesport on Hogmanay , brilliant game, can’t wait to get back to see them again, worth every penny.

My old man as well Gus :(

20 minutes ago, TheMarkChristie said:

Does anyone know where Perth Panthers played in the 1998-2001 period?

I am doing some research for https://perthpanthersihc.com

I am a season ticket holder and sponsor for Glasgow Clan - The atmosphere at the games is awesome

I’ll have to pop through for the next flyers game , with fans :cool:

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Not quite ice hockey but similarities, a new floorball club has started in Perth, and plan to join the national league in September.  

Very similar to ice hockey in terms of rules, but less contact, no ice, trainers instead of skates and a lighter ball.  

Great fun and a great workout to boot. 

Check out Tayside Panthers on Facebook or instagram.   Training is Wednesday nights 7-9pm at Bertha Park.  First session is free and equipment can be provided.   Most of the team are completely new to the sport and we’ve had some very promising results already.  

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/6/2022 at 2:41 PM, Setting Son said:

Would love the Ice Hockey to come back to Perth but don’t think it would be sustainable:sad:

JB and I took in another Vegas Golden Knights game on 2nd March.

$200 a ticket  6 rows from the front on the equivalent of the 18 yard line.

Up there with the best atmosphere at any sporting event I have ever been to.

JB got a big St Andrews Cross flag made up with the Vegas Knights emblem in the middle , pure brilliant, might get hom to post it on here!

Saints could learn a thing or two from Vegas Knights marketing. 

The flag in question. Vegas moving on to Western final last night - brilliant stuff! 😎

I go watch Edinburgh Capitals regularly - we play in the SHL now. The games are great and we’re getting crowds of over 1000 every home game. 

Don’t think there is much desire at the moment to return to EIHL as its probably not financially viable just now, but would love to see us build towards it for the future. 

Hoping to get GBRA along to a Caps game in the new season!

IMG_4088.jpeg

Edited by John Bonham