Saints v Livi , Saturday 16/10/21

Melbourne Saint

1 hour ago, RandomGuy said:

Let us hope by the seasons end we've forgotten about this game.

Maybe a wake up call that we need a settled back 3, yesterday was the 4th different combination in 4 games, although injuries/suspensions obviously not helped.

Need the defence to be a solid unit next week against an improving Celtic side, otherwise we will be in for a tough gig.

16 minutes ago, Saintdunc said:

Need the defence to be a solid unit next week against an improving Celtic side, otherwise we will be in for a tough gig.

We need Gordon back to control the defence. A game against Celtic after being out so long might be a big ask. We need to at the least drop Ambrose. He was all over the place. At the first goal he was out near the left corner flag & at second ,out wide right. A central defender in a back 3 shouldn't venture far from 18 yard box.

2 hours ago, Cagey said:

We need Gordon back to control the defence. A game against Celtic after being out so long might be a big ask. We need to at the least drop Ambrose. He was all over the place. At the first goal he was out near the left corner flag & at second ,out wide right. A central defender in a back 3 shouldn't venture far from 18 yard box.

Let’s be fair Ambrose had a terrible game as did most others but to involve him in the second goal is just ridiculous. Take your pick from Zander or Jamie. 

We were awful and it was particularly painful to lose to that bunch of timewasting barstewards who clearly like to get under the opposition's skin.  What was that 1st goal celebration about?  Looked like they were going to stay in that corner for 5 minutes and the ref more or less let them off with it.  Later in the 2nd half he finally spoke to the keeper about the time he was taking on goal kicks.  The guy just nodded and proceeded to ignore him.

Whisky stocks will need replenished next week.

signed

Bad loser                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     East Lothian

3 hours ago, Stumpy1966 said:

Let’s be fair Ambrose had a terrible game as did most others but to involve him in the second goal is just ridiculous. Take your pick from Zander or Jamie. 

The point I was making was that your central defender should dominate the box to allow the other 2 to break or cover the wingbacks. Ambrose was posted missing at first 2 goals.

40 minutes ago, Cagey said:

The point I was making was that your central defender should dominate the box to allow the other 2 to break or cover the wingbacks. Ambrose was posted missing at first 2 goals.

Why would Ambrose be defending on our own box when we have a throw in?

That's where the 2nd goal came from.

1 hour ago, Cagey said:

1 hour ago, Cagey said:

You are actually making two points the first I agree with but I still can’t understand what/where you expected Ambrose to do/be for the second goal. 

Unless there's an obvious other candidate I've forgotten about, I'd say that was our worst performance under Davidson. Very, very unusual for us to take a hammering like that, especially from a side at Livingston's level in the league.

To be honest it might not be the worst thing in the world that we've had that happen to us. I think we've possibly needed a bit of a boot up the arse to get us back to basics and I imagine we'll return to a more conservative system for quite some time now. Hopefully the defence will also start to look more settled from here on in. Up until Livi we'd coped incredibly well with all the enforced changes at the back, but a settled backline has probably been the single most important factor in our success under Davidson and clearly we need that back. Gordon and Brown both seem to be fine now and I can see us going with Brown-Gordon-McCart for the foreseeable future.

Share everyone else's frustration about Eetu's lack of game time. It's fair enough giving him time to settle in but we're surely beyond that point now. For me Kane has been off the boil of late (albeit he played well against Dundee) and I really like Middleton but he hasn't done much for a while now. Surely it's time to give our new forward a fair chance? 

56 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

Unless there's an obvious other candidate I've forgotten about, I'd say that was our worst performance under Davidson. Very, very unusual for us to take a hammering like that, especially from a side at Livingston's level in the league.

To be honest it might not be the worst thing in the world that we've had that happen to us. I think we've possibly needed a bit of a boot up the arse to get us back to basics and I imagine we'll return to a more conservative system for quite some time now. Hopefully the defence will also start to look more settled from here on in. Up until Livi we'd coped incredibly well with all the enforced changes at the back, but a settled backline has probably been the single most important factor in our success under Davidson and clearly we need that back. Gordon and Brown both seem to be fine now and I can see us going with Brown-Gordon-McCart for the foreseeable future.

Share everyone else's frustration about Eetu's lack of game time. It's fair enough giving him time to settle in but we're surely beyond that point now. For me Kane has been off the boil of late (albeit he played well against Dundee) and I really like Middleton but he hasn't done much for a while now. Surely it's time for to give our new forward a fair chance? 

I agree regarding Middleton. I think he is a good player at this level and definitely has it in his locker to pop up with big goals at big times or a wee bit of magic… but he hasn’t really done much of that and Eetu deserves the chance to prove that he can.

Agree that Eetu needs to be given a shot, didnt actually think our attacking was that bad on Saturday, we had chances, just not ones that were easy unlike theirs. Problems were elsewhere on the pitch on Saturday. Livi had so many players in and around their own box to clear the danger that we needed something clearcut which never came.

Edited by Rob

On 10/17/2021 at 5:37 PM, tucker said:

McPherson was at fault for both goals Ambrose didn't help, Don't think he's going to much of a player for saints hope I'm wrong,

I've just watched the highlights for the first time and I'm genuinely baffled by how MacPherson is being given the blame.

First goal: Ambrose fails to stop the cross from the right. MacPherson is one of the players in the box who doesn't manage to get a tackle in, but so is Rooney. None of the defenders cover themselves in glory for this one.

Second goal: MacPherson passes a perfectly acceptable ball back to Craig. Craig then passes it back to Clark. The goal then comes from a mix-up between Clark and McCart. How is MacPherson to blame for that?

Third goal: MacPherson is tracking his man back into the box as the goal is scored. His man isn't the one who scores.

Personally think MacPherson has looked pretty promising in both of his performances so far. He rarely seems to lose the ball, and his corners are looking like an upgrade on what we've had previously. We actually created a couple of goalscoring opportunities from MacPherson's corners (Craig's lob that hit the bar and Ambrose's header that went just over), which is a nice change from what we usually do!

I didn't watch the game, and haven't yet seen the highlights. However, I do think it's funny that the players people were raving about after the last game are the same ones we're now being told shouldn't be in the first team/cover only/not the answer.

I do think the Eetu thing is really weird. We did the same thing with Melamed last season, and he turned out to be very good. I wonder if he might've stayed if he'd had more games from the start. Has anyone got any explanation as to why Eetu would be signed on a 2 year contract and then not be played at all? We did see him for a few minutes (I forget who it was against) and he looked quite lively. Does Davidson not have any say over signings and he just doesn't rate him? I'm sure someone a while posted with inside knowledge that one of the coaches said Eetu was terrible (or am I dreaming this?). 

As the weeks go on, it looks like an increasingly bizarre decision for one reason or another. But even more bizarre since it happened last season too...with a striker...brought from abroad with much fanfare.

6 hours ago, Linky said:

I didn't watch the game, and haven't yet seen the highlights. However, I do think it's funny that the players people were raving about after the last game are the same ones we're now being told shouldn't be in the first team/cover only/not the answer.

I do think the Eetu thing is really weird. We did the same thing with Melamed last season, and he turned out to be very good. I wonder if he might've stayed if he'd had more games from the start. Has anyone got any explanation as to why Eetu would be signed on a 2 year contract and then not be played at all? We did see him for a few minutes (I forget who it was against) and he looked quite lively. Does Davidson not have any say over signings and he just doesn't rate him? I'm sure someone a while posted with inside knowledge that one of the coaches said Eetu was terrible (or am I dreaming this?). 

As the weeks go on, it looks like an increasingly bizarre decision for one reason or another. But even more bizarre since it happened last season too...with a striker...brought from abroad with much fanfare.

Vertainen is 22 and just moved to a new country, and league, for the first ever time.

He should be given more than 2 months to settle and adjust before writing him off. The club don't spend fees and 2yr deals on players they don't rate. He'll be fine.