Saints January '22 Transfer Activity

Melbourne Saint

And it's now rolling around, with clubs setting their stall up for activity.

After what I can only say what was a very poor summer window, I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised in this window. Don't know how, but faith eternal. 

The potential "outs" are pretty clear cut, seem resigned to losing McCart to Hibs. Rooney unknown. Zander also unkown. It would've been good to get contract extensions for one, if not both, so we'll see.

Now there's a rumour Eetu is off back to Finland on loan/ freed. Not much point in going into that one. CD rated him, then it appears he doesn't fit in.

Hendry appears not to be coming back. 

Apart from those mentioned, I don't believe we have any players that would interest other clubs or we would allow to leave (Gordon).

Which is a bit depressing.

As for ins, Tomer Altman could be signed anytime the immigration department get their arse in gear. 

January is a bit of a wierd window- short and availability of players may not be known until the last minute.

I'm not sure, have we used up our allocation of loans? Whether we have or not, we need to permanently sign some quality players to develop, as opposed to having players on loan developing here & then going back to parent club.

So... potential signing requirements:-

- GK (if Clark goes)

- Defenders x2

- Forward?

That's about it.

I'm happy if we were to cut short loans for either Dendoncker or Muller if it meant space & wages freed for a permanent defender to cover McCart+ hopefully another. 

Midfield is stacked with players. Not necessarily a good thing, as I think it needs an overhaul, but that is likely to wait until summer & contracts expire. Altman will arrive at some point,  Crawford & McPherson may play their way to being offered contracts either in January, or more likely Summer. 

Assuming we've waived goodbye to Hendry & Eetu, there is still a spot for a forward (striker).

Edited by blueheaven
Corrected year in title

11 hours ago, Melbourne Saint said:

Now there's a rumour Eetu is off back to Finland on loan/ freed. Not much point in going into that one. CD rated him, then it appears he doesn't fit in.

Assuming we've waived goodbye to Hendry & Eetu, there is still a spot for a forward (striker).

Where is this Eetu rumour?

11 hours ago, THE LARK SAINT said:

Neither Clarke  Rooney or McCart will leave in January in my opinion 

I agree. They might sign pre-contracts elsewhere but unless Saints are going to get a good fee for their early release, I don't think they'll be going anywhere until the summer.

Personally think we have a strong squad now and I don't see there being many incomings, unless there's an opportunity to sign someone of real quality that we can't turn down. Main thing I'd like to see us do is extend Ali Crawford's loan beyond January (or make the move permanent if that's a possibility).

I find deep joy in a such a negative OP being rubbished within 12 hours as its confirmed Altman won't be getting a contract.

Vertainen won't be loaned out and I don't know what people think they're achieving by making it up, it helps literally nobody.

I'd be surprised if players weren't already signed in preparation of the window opening.

31 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

I find deep joy in a such a negative OP being rubbished within 12 hours as its confirmed Altman won't be getting a contract.

Vertainen won't be loaned out and I don't know what people think they're achieving by making it up, it helps literally nobody.

I'd be surprised if players weren't already signed in preparation of the window opening.

Best Post I've read from you 

I don't think anyone is likely to leave. Some (McCart most likely) might sign pre-contracts but they'd then leave in the summer. I think Rooney and Clark will stay.

I'm not sure we're likely to bring anyone in either. I think it will be about looking towards making some of those loans permanent in the summer. Perhaps Gilmour will be recalled and play a bigger part in the second half of the season. Decisions will be being made about how long Craig, Ambrose and Bryson will continue for too.

4 hours ago, rik2304 said:

No more loans please.

Fully expect McCart to get an offer from Hibs and he'll be away in the summer unless they pay a fee. 

Won't be disappointed if we don't offer any of our current loans a contract tbh as all have shown nothing special. 

Oh yeah just as he is getting up to speed with Scottish football.

Translated from https://www.iltalehti.fi/jalkapallo/a/76901ea5-d56c-43f1-b1a3-98baec95904c on 11 October 
Eetu Peer has a painful start in Scotland - the head coach talked about the difficulties: “It takes time to get used to”

The young Finnish footballer Eetu Vertainen is gaining experience from abroad, but it has been noticed that the start is usually not easy.
Advantage Peer is trying to make a breakthrough in Scotland.Advantage Peer is trying to make a breakthrough in Scotland.
Advantage Peer is trying to make a breakthrough in Scotland. JOONAS KÄMÄRÄINEN / AOP
Author's image
vinski.virtanen@iltalehti.fi
10/11/2021 at 1:54 PM

The 22-year-old striker Eetu Vertainen, who represented Finnish junior national teams, left Finland at the end of August and left for Scotland.

The man of St. Johnstone, who has been playing in the main series of Scotland for more than a month, has now been equal after leaving Ilves in Tampere.

So far, the Finn has played on the field in two games. Team head coach Callum Davidson told Scottish magazine The Courier how Peer has adapted to the club.

"Entering the new environment has been challenging for Eetus," Davidson said.

Davidson saw in the Peer situation much the same as Guy Melamed . Melamed also had some initial difficulties last season.

- He has to catch up with the rhythm of the game. He has good qualities, but football is more hectic in Scotland than in Finland, and it takes time to get used to it, Davidson analyzes.

Work

According to Davidson, the Equalist trains hard, so the Finnish adaptation does not stick to it.

The coach added that the team has a lot of competition in the attack. An equal must take a model from St. Johnstone’s other attackers.

Chris Kane , Stevie May and Glenn Middleton are just as thirsty for playing time. Davidson said he was excited that the Finn would offer a large and powerful alternative to the attack.

- I have talked to him a lot, because moving from Finland to a new culture for the first time is difficult, Davidson reminded.

The start of the peer has not been easy, but the St. Johnstone coach estimates that the situation will soon be different.

- He develops every day. He has the necessary skills, and I think when he gets off the ground, he’s really developing a lot in a month.

The Finnish striker has a contract with the Scottish club until the summer of 2023.

1 hour ago, blueheaven said:

Sorry, but which post? Are you talking about a post on here? I've seen people giving their own thoughts, but nothing at all that could even be classed as a rumour.

Indeed…if it was my post I was merely speculating, trying to spark a debate.

I wouldn’t hang about if I was away from family and friends with a manager who never gives me a decent chance in a team that is struggling to score week after week (but hey that’s just my opinion!) 

58 minutes ago, Tricky6 said:

Indeed…if it was my post I was merely speculating, trying to spark a debate.

I wouldn’t hang about if I was away from family and friends with a manager who never gives me a decent chance in a team that is struggling to score week after week (but hey that’s just my opinion!) 

I doubt if the Club are just keeping him hinging on without any discussions about what he has to do or to improve. 

16 hours ago, Tricky6 said:

If we were at the end of the season and he still hadn't had a fair chance, I could see your point (and I imagine that's probably why Melamed decided he wasn't interested in sticking around) - but he's only a couple of months into a two year contract.

Just now, blueheaven said:

If we were at the end of the season and he still hadn't had a fair chance, I could see your point (and I imagine that's probably why Melamed decided he wasn't interested in sticking around) - but he's only a couple of months into a two year contract.

Without going into too much detail, heard from a usually reliable source that he isn’t quite the player that he looked on video. Tactically his awareness is miles off. 

Macca reportedly had a big bust up with him at training because he wasn’t pulling his weight. 

Melamed’s situation was a bit different. He had been out of football for a significant period of time thanks to Covid lockdowns so was miles off the pace. 

Vertainen came here match fit. 

Would not be surprised to see him leave in January. I guess it all depends on his application. 

2 hours ago, Pat McGroin said:

Without going into too much detail, heard from a usually reliable source that he isn’t quite the player that he looked on video. Tactically his awareness is miles off. 

Macca reportedly had a big bust up with him at training because he wasn’t pulling his weight. 

Melamed’s situation was a bit different. He had been out of football for a significant period of time thanks to Covid lockdowns so was miles off the pace. 

Vertainen came here match fit. 

Would not be surprised to see him leave in January. I guess it all depends on his application. 

Rumours aside, I would certainly trust CD’s judgment here, if he’s not playing on a Saturday, he has simply not done enough to merit a shirt. 

6 hours ago, Pat McGroin said:

Why then let Calum Hendry go out on loan?

The whole situation really is baffling….

17 minutes ago, Tricky6 said:

Why then let Calum Hendry go out on loan?

The whole situation really is baffling….

Well, that’s another story. I asked the same. 

Allegedly, Callum didn’t want him to go out on loan but Tommy came in offering to pay 100% of his wages. 

Steve Brown accepted that offer basically saying “we backed you and paid cash for Eetu”. 

Also heard we broke our pay scale and are paying Gordon £3500 per week with a £1.2m release clause for a Championship level team. 

Edited by Pat McGroin

2 hours ago, Pat McGroin said:

Allegedly, Callum didn’t want him to go out on loan but Tommy came in offering to pay 100% of his wages. 

Tommy Wright said they'd agreed to loan Hendry for around a month before he actually joined them, and it was only being held up as we wouldn't let him leave until Vertainen was signed and registered.