Saints January '22 Transfer Activity

Melbourne Saint

16 hours ago, Sergei said:

I know we fans have to be sports psychologists now alongside being managers, scouts, tacticians and accountants but I don't get this. Why would having one perfectly good goal wrongly knocked off derail someone's career?

I don't think these guys are the precious little flowers they're made out to be and they must have one heck of a self-believe to get to this level. Is the suggestion he's gone 'l'll never get another goal that counts again. Poor me. What's the point.' rather than 'Sod that. It was a good goal. Still got it.'?

Just my opinion but I really can't see one incident where he was blameless sapping a player's self belief like this.

I agree that it is unlikely (but possible) that one isolated incident would have a catastrophic impact on a player's self-confidence, but by the same token it is an incorrect assumption to make that players at the top level don't have problems with self-belief. There have been quite a few elite athletes in recent years who have (now that the stigma regarding mental health has diminished somewhat) recounted horrendous battles with low self-confidence, even when performing well.

On 10/28/2021 at 8:40 AM, blueheaven said:

Don't think anyone has said it "derailed his career". Just that it made a difference. Getting off the mark is important for a striker, and that incident meant he still had zero goals, five or six games into the season. Think he lost his place in the team soon after that and never really won it back. Had he been credited with that goal, things might have gone differently. But of course he's had plenty of chances since then and it was up to him to take those chances.

Not those actual words but given this incident is being blamed for his resultant goal drought that saw him put out on loan, missed out on a double cup win and is now playing a lower league then kind of has. If it had been something like a Cummins v Trakai miss then I could understand a confidence slump but Callum'll know he scored a good goal and, to me anyway, that's crucial.

Think we need to agree to disagree. :)

On 10/28/2021 at 9:09 AM, Dooj said:

I agree that it is unlikely (but possible) that one isolated incident would have a catastrophic impact on a player's self-confidence, but by the same token it is an incorrect assumption to make that players at the top level don't have problems with self-belief. There have been quite a few elite athletes in recent years who have (now that the stigma regarding mental health has diminished somewhat) recounted horrendous battles with low self-confidence, even when performing well.

I appreciate that 

5 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

It's honestly kind of fascinating how his record coming off the bench is incredible, yet he rarely scores when starting.

It's a strange one. To have a player on the bench that can get goals is valuable. It could be a combination of defenders getting tired, or he finds it difficult maintaining concentration for 90, but he is focussed in 30minute spells. There's been a few high profile players in the past that have this trait.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy said:

I'd be reluctant to commit to Crawford permanently just now.

Extend his loan until the Summer and make a decision then I think.

I think the club will do this, as it will save money (I imagine we're not paying as much in wages now as we would be if we signed him on a full time basis. But, why do you not thing we should sign him now? I think he's done enough to show his quality and will get better as he goes on.

7 minutes ago, Linky said:

I think the club will do this, as it will save money (I imagine we're not paying as much in wages now as we would be if we signed him on a full time basis. But, why do you not thing we should sign him now? I think he's done enough to show his quality and will get better as he goes on.

Folk will complain if we offer him a contract and folk will complain if we don’t. 

I think he’s a fairly safe signing given he knows the league and is a decent age. A midfielder who chips in with a few goals is never a bad thing.

Hopefully the best is yet to come when he’s played a few more games in a settled team.

1 hour ago, Linky said:

But, why do you not thing we should sign him now? I think he's done enough to show his quality and will get better as he goes on.

I think he's competing with Wotherspoon for a spot, and I think Wotherspoon is better.

I'd rather see us sign someone under 26 who can replace/improve on Wotherspoon and keep that spot for years, rather than spend money on a 30yo squad player.

43 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

I think he's competing with Wotherspoon for a spot, and I think Wotherspoon is better.

I'd rather see us sign someone under 26 who can replace/improve on Wotherspoon and keep that spot for years, rather than spend money on a 30yo squad player.

Crawford is a central midfielder. Spoony does his best work on the left, linking with the left wingback.

They are not competing for the same position.

3 hours ago, THE LARK SAINT said:

Cheers I'm sure Callum will be reading with interest and consulting you!

You seem to have confused this fans forum with Callum Davidson’s advisory committee.

Last time I checked, a fans forum was absolutely they best place to express views like the one expressed by @RandomGuy regarding what we should do with Crawford.

Would be a pretty boring forum if the only people who posted were the people who were paid to advise Callum Davidson on key decisions.

Edited by R.B.B:- Adz

11 hours ago, Sergei said:

Do we know for definite whose idea it was to sign Eetu?

Don't know whose idea it was, but presumably Callum has to give all signings the nod.

On Crawford - I'd be really pleased to see him offered a permanent deal. Agree that he needs to work on his fitness/sharpness, but that'll come. For me he's brought us something we've really lacked - an attacking/goalscoring central midfielder who provides a link between midfield and attack.

If all we do is extend his loan and he carries on doing well for us, I can easily see one of our rivals coming in with a contract offer after Christmas and taking him from under our noses. He's got a good reputation in Scotland and there will no doubt be plenty of clubs who would be happy to take him (and probably offer him more money than Saints will).

11 hours ago, Sergei said:

Do we know for definite whose idea it was to sign Eetu?

Calum Davidson.

"Davidson added: “Eetu can also play out wide, which is what I was looking for – so he will fit into our system and give us flexibility.

“We looked a lot at that, how will he fit into our system? And we liked his athleticism and drive, so he’s someone we wanted to get on board.”"

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/st-johnstone/2500136/callum-davidson-st-johnstone-can-help-make-eetu-vertainen-a-finland-international/