Saints January '22 Transfer Activity

Melbourne Saint

43 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

Don't know whose idea it was, but presumably Callum has to give all signings the nod.

24 minutes ago, garydavidson said:

Calum Davidson.

"Davidson added: “Eetu can also play out wide, which is what I was looking for – so he will fit into our system and give us flexibility.

“We looked a lot at that, how will he fit into our system? And we liked his athleticism and drive, so he’s someone we wanted to get on board.”"

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/st-johnstone/2500136/callum-davidson-st-johnstone-can-help-make-eetu-vertainen-a-finland-international/

No doubt there. Thanks.

The article's a good reminder of why we got excited then baffled. The implication was he'd been scouted, would fit in straight away and add that missing something. He basically started training with us on 4 September after the red tape stuff yet here we are 2 months later. Maybe the telling line is “There are still things he needs to work on but hopefully coming here will help him improve'' but I'm still surprised he's considered not ready for more than a few token minutes. 

15 minutes ago, Sergei said:

The article's a good reminder of why we got excited then baffled. The implication was he'd been scouted, would fit in straight away and add that missing something. He basically started training with us on 4 September after the red tape stuff yet here we are 2 months later. Maybe the telling line is “There are still things he needs to work on but hopefully coming here will help him improve'' but I'm still surprised he's considered not ready for more than a few token minutes. 

I know he didn't get long against Rangers but my impression of him in that game was that he was settling in quickly, was up for a battle, had a lot of energy and was capable of making an immediate impact. Does feel like things have changed a bit since then, though.

I do wonder if we'd managed to get his paperwork sorted out in time for the European games, if we'd have been more willing to take a chance on him and throw him in, or if we'd still have ended up waiting for months to play him.

17 hours ago, R.B.B:- Adz said:

You seem to have confused this fans forum with Callum Davidson’s advisory committee.

Last time I checked, a fans forum was absolutely they best place to express views like the one expressed by @RandomGuy regarding what we should do with Crawford.

Would be a pretty boring forum if the only people who posted were the people who were paid to advise Callum Davidson on key decisions.

I was attempting to wind RG up however  it looks very obvious that CD likes Crawford and one of 2 things happen shortly 

He either signs till end of season with option to sign permanently  or he signs permanent  deal in January 

It's as clear as the nose on your face CD likes him and wants him,thus the way rib at RG

2 hours ago, THE LARK SAINT said:

I was attempting to wind RG up however  it looks very obvious that CD likes Crawford and one of 2 things happen shortly 

He either signs till end of season with option to sign permanently  or he signs permanent  deal in January 

It's as clear as the nose on your face CD likes him and wants him,thus the way rib at RG

Are you the committee chairman ? 

7 hours ago, blueheaven said:

I know he didn't get long against Rangers but my impression of him in that game was that he was settling in quickly, was up for a battle, had a lot of energy and was capable of making an immediate impact. Does feel like things have changed a bit since then, though.

I do wonder if we'd managed to get his paperwork sorted out in time for the European games, if we'd have been more willing to take a chance on him and throw him in, or if we'd still have ended up waiting for months to play him.

I agree but doubt Callum would have been ready to' trust' him that early. 

2 hours ago, Shipa said:

No-one gets near Steve Broon's biscuit tin!

Not even Steve Brown unfortunately.

I don't mind Crawford tbh. He's certainly something different to what we have. I would imagine that should he want a contract from Saints, he'd want 2years. Which could be a problem. He's a class player, but we have 2 (good) problems- Max & Ballantyne.

They want that position too. They're contracted for a while and will definitely be wanting to be challenging for a jersey next season. 

Financially, we can't carry too many attacking midfielders in the summer. In defense midfield, if we move for McPherson, there's Gilmour as well doing that. So that's potentially sorted. Do we offer deals for Bryson/Muzz/Craig? I think unlikely, do to their age, but maybe 1 kept on. I think we would need an extra central midfielder- a younger Liam.

22 hours ago, blueheaven said:

Don't know whose idea it was, but presumably Callum has to give all signings the nod.

"Presumably"??? Make that definitely. CD has to "sell" any signing to SB to get sign-off. I'd imagine Boyd may well have been looking at him prior, but that's speculation. 

What is fact, is there's a problem. It's not uncommon for certain personalities to believe they're "superior".

That doesn't work in CD's work ethos. If Eetu doesn't shake it soon, then it's "termination by mutual consent". Forget a loan out,  it's syonnara. I'd like any player we sign to be up for the challenge, but no prima-donnas.

He can talk about goals, but he's being taught a lesson right now by being restricted to 5 minute forays. The line from training is "lacks positional sense". Oops, that's "lacks digging for the team."

Up to you, Eetu...

Edited by Melbourne Saint

1 hour ago, Melbourne Saint said:

What is fact, is there's a problem. It's not uncommon for certain personalities to believe they're "superior".

That doesn't work in CD's work ethos. If Eetu doesn't shake it soon, then it's "termination by mutual consent". Forget a loan out,  it's syonnara. I'd like any player we sign to be up for the challenge, but no prima-donnas.

He can talk about goals, but he's being taught a lesson right now by being restricted to 5 minute forays. The line from training is "lacks positional sense". Oops, that's "lacks digging for the team."

That's not fact at all - everything you've just said is you speculating.

Don't have any specific  name for signings, but would hope we don't take any 19 year old English Premier league academy players or "about to be released" U23 English Championship players

kinda expect the Finn to head home, released.

Muzz and Craig joint Testimonial committee to sign themselves up :)

The club paid a fee for Vertainen and gave him a 2yr deal.

In January he won't be released or loaned back to Finland. I'd expect him to start a game in the next 2 months.

I'll double check but in terms of league appearances he's still further ahead of Melamed was after the same amount of time at the club.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy said:

The club paid a fee for Vertainen and gave him a 2yr deal.

In January he won't be released or loaned back to Finland. I'd expect him to start a game in the next 2 months.

I'll double check but in terms of league appearances he's still further ahead of Melamed was after the same amount of time at the club.

Melamed hadn’t kicked a ball in 8 months due to the first Covid Lockdown. 

Vertainen landed match fit. 

52 minutes ago, Pat McGroin said:

Melamed hadn’t kicked a ball in 8 months due to the first Covid Lockdown. 

Vertainen landed match fit. 

I've absolutely no idea why you're claiming Melamed went "8 months" without kicking a ball, he played 30 games in 2019/20, and was playing regularly throughout July and even featured in August before joining us...

Vertainen last played in Finland on July 5th, then signed on September 1st, 59 days after his last game.

Melamed played for his Israeli side in the Cup on August 8th, then signed for us on October 5th, 59 days after his last game.

Vertainen didn't play in the league until 11th September, 10 days after signing. In his first 64 days he has 0 starts and 41 mins.

Melamed didn't play in the league until 12th December, 69 days after signing. In his first 64 days he had 0 starts and 0 mins.

Honestly, I've absolutely no idea why folk are so desperate for Vertainen to fail. Hes 22, already ahead of where Melamed was, and the club believed in him enough to spend a fee, yet the absolute weirdos on here spend all their time pretending to be ITK and claiming he's about to be released. Give him time FFS.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy said:

I've absolutely no idea why you're claiming Melamed went "8 months" without kicking a ball, he played 30 games in 2019/20, and was playing regularly throughout July and even featured in August before joining us...

Vertainen last played in Finland on July 5th, then signed on September 1st, 59 days after his last game.

Melamed played for his Israeli side in the Cup on August 8th, then signed for us on October 5th, 59 days after his last game.

Vertainen didn't play in the league until 11th September, 10 days after signing. In his first 64 days he has 0 starts and 41 mins.

Melamed didn't play in the league until 12th December, 69 days after signing. In his first 64 days he had 0 starts and 0 mins.

Honestly, I've absolutely no idea why folk are so desperate for Vertainen to fail. Hes 22, already ahead of where Melamed was, and the club believed in him enough to spend a fee, yet the absolute weirdos on here spend all their time pretending to be ITK and claiming he's about to be released. Give him time FFS.

If the cap fits ?.

5 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

Can't speak for others, but I'd love Vertainen to be a good player for us. Melamed was different in the sense he endured the Covid lockdown and that would knock a lot of people about.

I think it's only fair to query why a player, which we apparently paid a fee for, has had absolutely minimal participation. And let's face it, he isn't being challenged on the goals front by anyone.

Or have you adopted a Chinese totalitarian attitude of "zero discussion"? I think it's well worthy.

Better than some of the arbitrary flotsam posted.

4 hours ago, Melbourne Saint said:

Can't speak for others, but I'd love Vertainen to be a good player for us. Melamed was different in the sense he endured the Covid lockdown and that would knock a lot of people about.

Aye, and Vertainen had to deal with sitting about for weeks while his work permit situation was sorted.

The manager clearly wants to take his time introducing foreign strikers to his team. Maybe we wait until after Christmas and see what Vertainens situation is, seeing as that puts him on a similar timeframe to Melamed in terms of breaking into the side?

It's quite obvious folk have already decided how they want to portray this, the blatant lies about the respective situations of Melamed and Vertainen hammer that point home. Poor guy won't stand a chance as when he does play and maybe takes a couple of games to settle, the same folk will be calling him shite and a waste of money.

Our support baffles me.

10 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

I think folk are just speculating and are curious dont think anyone wants him to fail. 

9 hours ago, Cagey said:

If the cap fits ?.

Remember Covid stop sharing caps!!:laugh:

Have you gone to mammy to greet?

Fact is he's getting next to zero game time. He's fit. Or do you just hide behind aimless pc posts?

The FACT is that when folk say FACT and you know it is not and they are speculating it is annoying and that is a FACT.

Or have you adopted a Chinese totalitarian attitude of "zero discussion"? I think it's well worthy.

Better than some of the arbitrary flotsam posted.

I will float something in that I think you are in a grump this morning as the posts you have put up all seem grumpy :laugh:

6 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

Aye, and Vertainen had to deal with sitting about for weeks while his work permit situation was sorted.

The manager clearly wants to take his time introducing foreign strikers to his team. Maybe we wait until after Christmas and see what Vertainens situation is, seeing as that puts him on a similar timeframe to Melamed in terms of breaking into the side?

It's quite obvious folk have already decided how they want to portray this, the blatant lies about the respective situations of Melamed and Vertainen hammer that point home. Poor guy won't stand a chance as when he does play and maybe takes a couple of games to settle, the same folk will be calling him shite and a waste of money.

Our support baffles me.

Random folk are speculating and are not basing things on fact, in exactly the same way as you are speculating and not based on fact. 

Comparing Etu and Melamed is not really the same guy was in Scotland away form family during the worst part of COVID where as now things are a bit more open, including borders. I think like most clubs saints ahve a squad and players just ahve to bide their time until they make that breakthrough. An injury to Kane or a suspension might be the break that will catapult him into the squad, just need to wait and see..