Saints January '22 Transfer Activity

Melbourne Saint

Understand how this post will go down with a lot of folk on here, but a recruitment company made this to show the, general, difference players face between these divisions and League One in England. We'll be similar. Green means little difference between leages, then it scales through yellow/orange to red, which means a big difference.

FBk_5uJWQAItJjy.thumb.png.f7485b881709c03c2d729806e2fc513a.png

Can see the Finnish league is the biggest difference. We know Scottish football so we can tell which way the differences are. So we know Vertainen is having to learn a game which is a lot more direct, involves a lot more pressing from the front, has a lot more counter attacks and crossing, and is more structured.

Considering we rely on pressing from the front, and counters, and also cross a lot, this might explain why he's taking time to adjust. This doesn't necessarily mean he's "shite" or "hopeless", it's something players have to do. Combine having to adjust to all that, plus moving to a new country, and you can hopefully see why the club is potentially taking it slow.

The man most qualified to judge, the manager, has decided its both worthwhile spending a fee on him, and giving him a 2yr deal. My guess is he's also decided he'll allow him a settling in period without the pressure of having to adjust while playing and likely struggling, as long term it'll benefit us to not play him until he's ready to go, in which case he'd hopefully hit the ground running. If he'd just chucked starts at him before he'd adapted then he'd probably be getting called shite and lazy on here.

Melamed got around 3.5 months to settle before he started regularly starting games. Using that timescale, which you'd maybe guess Davidson will be, Vertainen should start being judged from around Christmas time.

7 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

Understand how this post will go down with a lot of folk on here, but a recruitment company made this to show the, general, difference players face between these divisions and League One in England. We'll be similar. Green means little difference between leages, then it scales through yellow/orange to red, which means a big difference.

FBk_5uJWQAItJjy.thumb.png.f7485b881709c03c2d729806e2fc513a.png

Can see the Finnish league is the biggest difference. We know Scottish football so we can tell which way the differences are. So we know Vertainen is having to learn a game which is a lot more direct, involves a lot more pressing from the front, has a lot more counter attacks and crossing, and is more structured.

Considering we rely on pressing from the front, and counters, and also cross a lot, this might explain why he's taking time to adjust. This doesn't necessarily mean he's "shite" or "hopeless", it's something players have to do. Combine having to adjust to all that, plus moving to a new country, and you can hopefully see why the club is potentially taking it slow.

The man most qualified to judge, the manager, has decided its both worthwhile spending a fee on him, and giving him a 2yr deal. My guess is he's also decided he'll allow him a settling in period without the pressure of having to adjust while playing and likely struggling, as long term it'll benefit us to not play him until he's ready to go, in which case he'd hopefully hit the ground running. If he'd just chucked starts at him before he'd adapted then he'd probably be getting called shite and lazy on here.

Melamed got around 3.5 months to settle before he started regularly starting games. Using that timescale, which you'd maybe guess Davidson will be, Vertainen should start being judged from around Christmas time.

Apparently he was due to play a decent chunk against Dundee United but I’m guessing the old cliche of “a game of two halves” prevented that. Dundee United were battering us 2nd half. Even your idol Bryson couldn’t  stem the onslaught.

If things go well enough today, I’d expect to see him get 10-15 minutes.

Edited by R.B.B:- Adz

19 minutes ago, Abernethy Saint said:

A fine Finn finale - fintastic!

I remember when Mixu played for us and was also Assistanr Manager.  This led to a suspicion that he sometimes escaped being subbed when not playing well.  On one occasion when he was not at his best a foghorn voice from the East, breaking countless laws in the process, roared "get off you fat Finnish fraud".  He did not say fraud but the phrase was an alliteration.

Unconcerned Mixu cocked an ear with a smile and was rewarded with "aye you, you're the only fat Finnish fraud on the park".

54 minutes ago, south inch said:

I remember when Mixu played for us and was also Assistanr Manager.  This led to a suspicion that he sometimes escaped being subbed when not playing well.  On one occasion when he was not at his best a foghorn voice from the East, breaking countless laws in the process, roared "get off you fat Finnish fraud".  He did not say fraud but the phrase was an alliteration.

Unconcerned Mixu cocked an ear with a smile and was rewarded with "aye you, you're the only fat Finnish fraud on the park".

He was not the most mobile by the time he arrived in Perth. Some run on him.

9 hours ago, R.B.B:- Adz said:

He was not the most mobile by the time he arrived in Perth. Some run on him.

No, but if I recall correctly, he had the hardest shot in the league. It was a test  done by a magazine (not sure if it was Four Four Two, or Shoot!). Anyway they set up a speed camera and measured players shots from the penalty spot. I think he got over 100 mph (102?). He had a belter shot.

2 hours ago, dave mc said:

Hope we get some more pace and speed of thought into the squad,all too laboured and slow thinking,too easy to defend against 

I thought Middleton had pace he looked slow today & can't believe he couldn't get away from defender in the first minute.

O'Halloran has pace but you wouldn't have thought so today.

1 hour ago, Melbourne Saint said:

No, but if I recall correctly, he had the hardest shot in the league. It was a test  done by a magazine (not sure if it was Four Four Two, or Shoot!). Anyway they set up a speed camera and measured players shots from the penalty spot. I think he got over 100 mph (102?). He had a belter shot.

I may be wrong here was that not Gunni Torfason. I remember a few seats in ormand being broken during warm up, and games due to his power.

43 minutes ago, saintgscot said:

I may be wrong here was that not Gunni Torfason. I remember a few seats in ormand being broken during warm up, and games due to his power.

Yes, Gunni, that's what I thought we were on about, apalogies. He was a solid player, but we signed him 2 years late. In his prime at Midden, could cause problems. He could slam balls

15 hours ago, Cagey said:

I thought Middleton had pace he looked slow today & can't believe he couldn't get away from defender in the first minute.

O'Halloran has pace but you wouldn't have thought so today.

Mikey has  pace but no football brain whatsoever, and that’s an issue that can’t be taught at his age

32 minutes ago, Shaggy Jenkins said:

Probably in the minority here but not a fan

I think in some games he can be completely anonymous for much of the time. But then he can suddenly pop up and score. To be honest, he's looked the most likely player to score in many of our games this season (which isn't saying much).