Saints January '22 Transfer Activity

Melbourne Saint

7 hours ago, Cagey said:

I honestly can only see us only signing more loanees . Is there a limit on loans as if there is we must be near ours.

Not sure what the title is of the guy that is meant identify new signings & don't think he was on board early enough to make any difference in the summer but in January we will see if he is 30 or 40 grand well spent.

Stevie Grieve. Apparently a Saints fan (that shouldn't really matter tbh, I don't care who anyone supports as long as they're doing a job).

This is what I found from SPFL site re loans. 6 in total, with a couple of slight limits:-

MAXIMUM NUMBER OF LOAN PLAYERS AT ANY CLUB AT ANY ONE TIME INCREASED TO SIX...

Following a recommendation from the Coronavirus Joint Response Regulation Sub-Group, the SPFL Board has approved new regulations regarding loans between SPFL clubs for the 2020/21 season.

In summary, in relation to domestic loans an SPFL club is now permitted to have registered to it:

(i) a maximum of 6 players on loan at any one time plus any approved emergency goalkeeper (increased from 4);  

(ii) a maximum of 2 players on loan at any one time from another club in the same SPFL division (increased from 1); and    

(iii) a maximum of 4 players on loan at any one time from another club in a different SPFL division (increased from 2).  

As it stands, unless we send players back in January, we've already hit our allocation. Dendoncker, Muller, Devine, Crawford, McPherson, Middleton.

Interestingly, the limit on loans is "at any one time", so not a season cap of 6. We could, for example send a couple of loans back, and get another couple in.

Which may be looked at if any of the 3 leave (Rooney, McCart, Clark), and/or the Irish guy signs. 

Edited by Melbourne Saint

7 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

Wouldn't be all that surprised to see one of the defenders sent back.

Muller seems the obvious one really. Seems to have dropped behind Dendoncker and if Cleary signs then its hard to see where he fits.

Of course Ambroses contract might expire in January too, not sure it was ever confirmed when he was here until.

20 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

Of course Ambroses contract might expire in January too, not sure it was ever confirmed when he was here until.

Knowing how Scrooge like we are, wouldn’t be surprised to learn that he is on a pay per game contract, hence the reason we haven’t seen him on the field of late. The fact that he can be a bit of a bombscare at times probably makes it easy for Davidson to leave him on the bench.

14 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

You want us to have one player getting paid 5/6 times as much as the rest of the squad while trying to get some of them to renew.

Spending over a quarter of a million, as he'd want a signing on fee for him and his agent, on wages for one player, who hasn't played for 5 months and seemingly is all but retired as he's focussing on his business, is crazy.

Theres smarter ways to spend that money when our midfield is a complete mess and we desperately need players who can contribute over the next 2/3 years.

Split it into 2 and get in a couple of studs at $5k a week if you think that gaps too egregious, my points the same, insurance to stay up as we rebuild. We are unlikely to sign/find these types of players you refer to in January.

Im not worried about other players reactions, Im sure they'd be happy to stay in the top flight. Look at the stud that came on for last 10 mins yesterday, say we can get him at $5k a week when his stopover ends in Jan for an extended loan.

And as another poster mentioned, maybe these guys would come in for less, who knows. Just think bigger and use the war chest as an SPL protection fund. 

35 minutes ago, Cleveland-Saint said:

Split it into 2 and get in a couple of studs at $5k a week if you think that gaps too egregious, my points the same, insurance to stay up as we rebuild. We are unlikely to sign/find these types of players you refer to in January.

Im not worried about other players reactions, Im sure they'd be happy to stay in the top flight. Look at the stud that came on for last 10 mins yesterday, say we can get him at $5k a week when his stopover ends in Jan for an extended loan.

And as another poster mentioned, maybe these guys would come in for less, who knows. Just think bigger and use the war chest as an SPL protection fund. 

How long you been a Saints fan?I know the answer roughly, so you should know better!We will never ever ever pay 5 grand a week to Any players 

1 minute ago, THE LARK SAINT said:

How long you been a Saints fan?I know the answer roughly, so you should know better!We will never ever ever pay 5 grand a week to Any players 

Its a forum....doing some what if's!

Frugal Broon hedge to keep SPL profits in his vault with a piece of his McCann pie.

1 hour ago, Cleveland-Saint said:

And what happens after we have 5/6 players on £5/6k a week and still get relegated?

50 minutes ago, HOODLUM65 said:

Haven't seen anything so far in Ali Crawford that Iwould suggest making him a permanent fixture.

Loan to Hamilton might suit him.

The crazy thing is he’s literally one of our most dangerous players in terms of goals and assists. He’s lightweight and doesn’t really track back.

He and McPherson will unfairly be compared to McCann when the truth is they are nowhere near his level.

Another example of our throwing mud at the wall transfer policy hoping some will stick.

5 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

Muller seems the obvious one really. Seems to have dropped behind Dendoncker and if Cleary signs then its hard to see where he fits.

Efe told me he was here for the year,I took it he meant the  season 

Someone posted that the January window is one of our biggest. 

Yes, we'd like it to be, but I think it will be about a short-term survival strategy to see us through to summer, still in the Premier, as opposed to building the team. Re-jigging loans will probably be crucial.

The January window is very short and the usual chain of transfer activity (player X gets sold, so team y go hunting for a replacement) doesn't occur as easily as the summer window, where the longer transfer window more easily allows for the transfer chain to occur. 

And clubs have often spanked their budget in the summer.

One exception recently was Hearts. In their relegation season a couple of years ago, they bought Boyce (£150k)? To try and keep them up in January. Then Covid hit soon after. 

January is clearly very important, but it's a shit window to try and sort it. Now with Spoony & what looks like a serious injury, Saints have it all to do.

To say it will be interesting, is putting it mildly.

I had nothing better to do so I watched Livingston v Rangers and thought I would just do some research on a few of their player, Aribo et al.

A number of them were plucked from obscurity and had relatively modest careers but find it a doddle in Scotland of course.

Surely we should be targeting the 3rd, 4th and 5th tiers in England because there has to be some decent guys willing to ply their trade for us…………….

5 hours ago, Saintdunc said:

I had nothing better to do so I watched Livingston v Rangers and thought I would just do some research on a few of their player, Aribo et al.

A number of them were plucked from obscurity and had relatively modest careers but find it a doddle in Scotland of course.

Surely we should be targeting the 3rd, 4th and 5th tiers in England because there has to be some decent guys willing to ply their trade for us…………….

I think the issue with that for Saints is how much money they earn down there, even in the third and fourth tiers. Go down lower than that and there are still some good players but there's also a lot of competition to sign them. I watched a lot of non-league football when I lived in England and there were definitely some players who would be worth Saints looking at, but it's identifying them, tempting them to uproot to Scotland and batting off competition from other English clubs - probably not easy.

57 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

I think the issue with that for Saints is how much money they earn down there, even in the third and fourth tiers. Go down lower than that and there are still some good players but there's also a lot of competition to sign them. I watched a lot of non-league football when I lived in England and there were definitely some players who would be worth Saints looking at, but it's identifying them, tempting them to uproot to Scotland and batting off competition from other English clubs - probably not easy.

Depends on the player I guess.

More exposure up here, more chance of trophies, more chance of playing in Europe. A good season in the Scottish top flight can get you a very decent move. Long term it can be worth it for some in comparison to earning more in League One/Two, if you avoid the big hitters.