Saints January '22 Transfer Activity

Melbourne Saint

3 hours ago, saintee in exile said:

Surely bringing 4 or 5 players in doesn't mean holding onto the ones on loan already.If Crawford  and MacPherson were included in those signings I would be very disappointed.

I will believe that when I see it. Someone will have the working exceptionally hard, putting in long hours, trying to persuade players, out of contract or otherwise, to come to Perth rather than, say, Livingston for example. Great if I was proved wrong but also hope loan deals are not all we go for, even if means taking a punt on someone clubless. Livingston took a punt on Christian Montano, who had been released by Port Vale last season, after a career doing nothing anywhere, and apparently he has been a revelation tonight against Hibs. There are some decent players without clubs who would find it a doddle in Scotland. You just need to get out there and look but I will not hold my breath.

10 hours ago, THE LARK SAINT said:

Well that question answers it self really. if they are free agents then they can't be loans can they?

Wtf are you going on about? You really think CD's going to unearth 5-6 free agents???!!! It's been quoted   "Callum hoping for free agent this month,and 4 or 5 in January,according to courier ".

so, based on that, it looks like a free and 4-5 either permanent (highly unlikely we can afford 4-5 permanent signings), or a mix of signing Crawford, McPherson + who knows. So it is likely there will be some re-jigging of current loans to accommodate new loans coming in.

So.. no, the question doesn't answer itself.

Good luck with your free agents. Most likely 1-2 of them.

3 minutes ago, Melbourne Saint said:

Wtf are you going on about? You really think CD's going to unearth 5-6 free agents???!!! It's been quoted   "Callum hoping for free agent this month,and 4 or 5 in January,according to courier ".

so, based on that, it looks like a free and 4-5 either permanent (highly unlikely we can afford 4-5 permanent signings), or a mix of signing Crawford, McPherson + who knows. So it is likely there will be some re-jigging of current loans to accommodate new loans coming in.

So.. no, the question doesn't answer itself.

Good luck with your free agents. Most likely 1-2 of them.

One would be a surprise!

Just now, Saintdunc said:

One would be a surprise!

Don't go there... too depressing! I think it's realistic for 1, we'll probably give a tasty contract to a key target because we're in the shlops. But free agents aren't going to be match fit. Neither are a lot of loans, they're just middling around in reserves.

It's all well CD saying "free +4-5", if we get 3, he'd probably be happy. 

We'll find out soon enough if it's Crawford & McPherson within that number. Given they're consistently in the team, wouldn't surprise me.

Cue internet meltdown!!!

1 hour ago, Sergei said:

Why's that?

Re. permanent signings. Well, as you know, SB runs a very tight ship. 4,5,6 permanent signings is a lot of cash in signing on fees, agents fees and any transfer fee due. But it's not out of the realms of possibility if Clark, McCart and maybe Rooney sign pca's. We'd need bodies.

Now, it looks likely that Crawford & possibly MacPherson will sign. Are they part of the  4-6? Not sure, but we'd probably owe Midden a development fee for MacPherson? The lad Cleary may sign, I suspect he'll want a good wage (and not sure of his contract with Dundalk, but maybe fee payable). If no fee payable to Dundalk, he'll want a good signing on fee etc.

If McCart signs with Hibs (or whomever), then I'd hope the Cleary deal is cushioned if we get a small fee for McCart to move immediately. We also have contracts out on Clark, Rooney. They won't be cheap (if they sign).

SB will likely be looking anxiously at Max, Ballantyne & Gilmour and their wage. I'd expect us to hopefully sign the free that CD has identified, and maybe a loan.

The January window is less than ideal, too. Players & clubs will want more as there's less movement going on.

I don't see through recent history that SB would suddenly change his style dramatically and outlay serious money on 4-6 permanent players.

If they're permanent and quality, I'd be over the moon.

I think 3, tops 4. But I'm not sure how this will be made up...

8 hours ago, saintee in exile said:

Aw Ffs

8 hours ago, tucker said:

Thought Callum wanted first team players, Crawford squad player at best

7 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

We're ****ed, lads.

7 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

He probably sees our midfield going forward as Gilmour, MacPherson and Crawford. Probably see that group get game time after the January window.

Zero idea how anyone can think that's a top flight midfield.

I seem to remember a number of folk on here who liked Crawford in his first few games. Is it a case of Crawford now coming round to be the new scapegoat.  The comments aswell on McPherson again don't think he has done anything that bad, to merit the comments he is receiving. 

As for the midfield going forward how on earth can you comment on that when you have never seen these players play together?

47 minutes ago, mainstand said:

I seem to remember a number of folk on here who liked Crawford in his first few games. Is it a case of Crawford now coming round to be the new scapegoat.  The comments aswell on McPherson again don't think he has done anything that bad, to merit the comments he is receiving. 

As for the midfield going forward how on earth can you comment on that when you have never seen these players play together?

Yeah, if you could find any post where I said Crawford was a good signing then that would be great.

Him and MacPherson are just nothing players who run about a lot but shirk any actual responsibility. Love a wee pass sideways 40 yards from goal though.

We've seen Crawford and MacPherson beside each other plenty this season to know it leaves the other CM completely over run. If you think Charlie Gilmour can cope with that then that's fine, but Craig/Muzz have struggled with it while Gilmour plays for Alloa, so I've got little hope.

2 hours ago, mainstand said:

I do think there's a little bit of that going on. I thought both players showed some signs of promise when they first arrived. I think there have been some occasions on here when they've been singled out for criticism at times when other players in the team have been no better. I'm still confused by MacPherson being blamed by some fans for the goals in the Livingston game.

However, the worse our run of results has got, the more they seem to have disappeared, and that's really not what we need. We need players who will stand up and be counted when things aren't going well, and I'm not sure these two have it in them. I certainly wouldn't be rushing into offering them permanent deals. As things stand we have them until the end of the season anyway, so I don't see much point in tying them down now. If they want to stay here, they should be proving it on the pitch.

2 hours ago, mainstand said:

Don't think that there was much enthusiasm anywhere about a bit part St Mirren player. Perhaps some folk hoped that Callum had seen something in him that the Paisley coaching staff had missed. He has had a bit of praise for set piece delivery but apart from that hasn't offered anything.

I was quite pleased by Crawford because he's a goal threat and we need that. However his overall style doesn't fit our current style.

Whose fault is that though? For a team that operates on a tight budget I'd say it's vital that we have a better scouting/signing policy. We don't have much room for mistakes.

Sounds like we are definitely trying to sign Crawford but not sure about McPherson. I see Jack Ross has been sacked from Hibs. Seems an over reaction. I know they havent got the results recently and want to be top 4 but seems a bit much, they just beat Rangers the other week and got in League Cup Final.

24 minutes ago, Rob said:

Sounds like we are definitely trying to sign Crawford but not sure about McPherson. I see Jack Ross has been sacked from Hibs. Seems an over reaction. I know they havent got the results recently and want to be top 4 but seems a bit much, they just beat Rangers the other week and got in League Cup Final.

American owners. They want results for their investment. Ross had money behind him. They kept off bids for Porteous, Nisbett. Doig was poised to move, but circumstances went against that.

Ross was nothing special from an outsider's POV. He lost a semi & a final to us. If he'd won one, he'd still be in a job. He wasn't a w*nker, unlike Neilson and others. In fact, in the current league, there's not too many managers I abhore. Postie-gog-loo is alright. Neilson is a tool though.

So, I'm glad of Ross's contribution to saints history. 

Edited by Melbourne Saint