Saints January '22 Transfer Activity

Melbourne Saint

13 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

Hes earned it, so has MacPherson.

1-0 away to Dundee in a must win match, and both just completely gave up.

Here you see Crawford just stand and watch Craig struggle to find a pass, never move towards the ball, then stand still as 2 Dundee players charge past him. He doesn't reappear as he doesn't bother trying to get back to help and just does his wee job back about 20 yards away.

MacPherson goes back, but isn't actually doing anything to stop Dundee, then just stands still to watch while everyone else chucks their bodies about.

They aren't being "singled out" for no reason. 

Excellent work.

15 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

Here you see Crawford just stand and watch Craig struggle to find a pass, never move towards the ball, then stand still as 2 Dundee players charge past him. He doesn't reappear as he doesn't bother trying to get back to help and just does his wee job back about 20 yards away.

MacPherson goes back, but isn't actually doing anything to stop Dundee, then just stands still to watch while everyone else chucks their bodies about.

That's a terrible pass from Liam Craig in that clip. It's not just Crawford and MacPherson who played poorly in that game. I do agree with what you're saying about after we lose the ball, though.

15 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

I mean, it’s not Ali Crawford’s fault that we are where we are. If it wasn’t for his goals/assists then we’d be in an even worse position.

You can literally pick any player and find a video clip showing them not tracking back ect… 

Screenshot_20211210-160835_Chrome.jpg

I'm rarely correct but I'm thinking if he was going to take Saints offer he would have by now, obviously I don't know the terms etc offered and considering where we sit in the league at the moment I just think he'll go on to sign a pca come January. Seeing a couple of his team mates moving on (and probably earning major money compared to Saints) must surely be on his mind.

International call ups and positive press over last few months must have put him on a few teams radar 

Edited by chips

40 minutes ago, chips said:

Screenshot_20211210-160835_Chrome.jpg

I'm rarely correct but I'm thinking if he was going to take Saints offer he would have by now, obviously I don't know the terms etc offered and considering where we sit in the league at the moment I just think he'll go on to sign a pca come January. Seeing a couple of his team mates moving on (and probably earning major money compared to Saints) must surely be on his mind.

International call ups and positive press over last few months must have put him on a few teams radar 

100% keeping his options open to see if any offers come in January. Especially as his stock is high just now.

7 minutes ago, Abernethy Saint said:

There was talk of Sevco at one point. Presumably as number two to McCluaghlan (I can’t spell that) if they lose McGregor.

Think that rumour disappeared quickly once Gerrard was set to leave, I really think Zander will end up down south in league 1 or thereabouts just not another Scottish club 

1 hour ago, Brian Potter said:

I mean, it’s not Ali Crawford’s fault that we are where we are. If it wasn’t for his goals/assists then we’d be in an even worse position.

You can literally pick any player and find a video clip showing them not tracking back ect… 

You could aye, but it's recurring with MacPherson and Crawford. 

I honestly think both would be fine as back up players who you barely see, and come in/on when the starters need rested. But they're not, they're being played as a regular starters so get judged by those standards.

Crawford must be going easy so he doesnt get injured before his big contract with saints. Once signed, he will surely explode into action on the pitch? ;)

Must say, he has tapered off a bit, hope Callum brings this team around like he did last year after the sluggish start and we bring in some strong supporting crew.

Im sure someone on here knows this, but whats it roughly cost an SPL club financially/year when you drop a level?

1 hour ago, chips said:

Seeing a couple of his team mates moving on (and probably earning major money compared to Saints) must surely be on his mind.

I've wondered if this is one reason for Rooney's dip in form. Saint's turning down at least one offer from Rotherham as it didn't meet the club's valuation then seeing the other two main cup stars sold at the last minute, one for a debatable fee, could've been a bit of a kick in the teeth. As we struggle, Rotherham being top of League One, above Jason's Wigan albeit with a game extra played, might not help either. 

52 minutes ago, chips said:

Think that rumour disappeared quickly once Gerrard was set to leave, I really think Zander will end up down south in league 1 or thereabouts just not another Scottish club 

Oh, right. I imagine he has two concerns - more money, and at a club credible enough to keep him in the Scotland squad. That probably means if he isn’t offered a no. 1 slot in the championship, which he won’t be,  then it’s either on the bench for the OF, or first choice for any of 4 or 5 other SPFL clubs. Where are the vacancies? I think, with a decent pay rise, he might well stay at Saints.

2 hours ago, Cleveland-Saint said:

Im sure someone on here knows this, but whats it roughly cost an SPL club financially/year when you drop a level?

Prize money was made public after the 19/20 season.

12th place got £1.15m, while 1st in the Championship got £562k. 

Not sure what the amounts are now.

20 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

Prize money was made public after the 19/20 season.

12th place got £1.15m, while 1st in the Championship got £562k. 

Not sure what the amounts are now.

The parachute payment only tells a bit of the story as it's difficult to get promoted back the following season. So the real hit comes in second season +.

Interestingly in England the whole parachute payment there is being challenged by quite a few clubs, on the premise that it gives an unfair financial advantage (especially if relegated clubs are owned by Saudi's etc).

The comment from Clark makes me think he's off. We need to start looking at options, as Parish is not a first-team 'keeper. I've mentioned the Livingston 'keeper before, but didn't realised he is on a long contract. If we're not proactive we'll be left with McCrorie on loan.

38 minutes ago, Linky said:

The comment from Clark makes me think he's off. We need to start looking at options, as Parish is not a first-team 'keeper. I've mentioned the Livingston 'keeper before, but didn't realised he is on a long contract. If we're not proactive we'll be left with McCrorie on loan.

I hope (and hopefully believe) that Saints are more streetwise than to let Clark's contract situation rumble on. He's completely justified in looking for a better deal elsewhere, he owes us nothing. 

I'd have thought there'd be a "line in the sand" date by which he has to either sign, or it is withdrawn. 

I can only imagine that there's some serious effort being put in now to get those free+4-5 ready to go.

41 minutes ago, Melbourne Saint said:

I hope (and hopefully believe) that Saints are more streetwise than to let Clark's contract situation rumble on. He's completely justified in looking for a better deal elsewhere, he owes us nothing. 

I'd have thought there'd be a "line in the sand" date by which he has to either sign, or it is withdrawn. 

I can only imagine that there's some serious effort being put in now to get those free+4-5 ready to go.

I would think/hope there is a line in the sand, preferably by end of December, if another team really want him ASAP then they'll get him for a smallish fee in the January window if he doesn't re-sign. Best case scenario will be a pca ( I think this is the most likely) giving us more time to find a replacement. Be dreadful if he was to leave aka Kerr/McCann situation though, can hope lessons have been learned from that carry on. 

1 minute ago, chips said:

I would think/hope there is a line in the sand, preferably by end of December, if another team really want him ASAP then they'll get him for a smallish fee in the January window if he doesn't re-sign. Best case scenario will be a pca ( I think this is the most likely) giving us more time to find a replacement. Be dreadful if he was to leave aka Kerr/McCann situation though, can hope lessons have been learned from that carry on. 

I know he is probably to old now. But do we not get development fee or is he past age to get that.

On 12/9/2021 at 11:41 PM, RandomGuy said:

Have you got a clip of the only goal that beat us,where Rooney fecked up a header,and Mikey shat out a challenge?

9 hours ago, dave mc said:

Have you got a clip of the only goal that beat us,where Rooney fecked up a header,and Mikey shat out a challenge?

Yeah, but we've seen these players can play at a higher level than that. I've not seen anything from MacPherson or Crawford to suggest they can get away with not working hard.

On 12/8/2021 at 1:42 PM, RandomGuy said:

We'll likely sign a 30+yo who's not played in 6 months, instead of a 23yo on a longer deal, in the next few weeks.

"Close" to signing 31yo Jacob Butterfield, who hasn't playedd since June, according to multiple papers.

I live in a "fantasy world" and "make it all up" though eh, @Sergei

Edited by RandomGuy

1 hour ago, RandomGuy said:

"Close" to signing 31yo Jacob Butterfield, who hasn't playedd since June, according to multiple papers.

I live in a "fantasy world" and "make it all up" though eh, @Sergei

Wow. You're really trying to turn a generalist comment, one of the many derogatory posts in your campaign against Callum and his supposed signings. into a prediction to prove you're not a renowned fantasist. :laugh:  Meanwhile, in some of your many other other outlets, you're saying it looks it a bit short term but a decent enough signing, has a few years left in him and is worth a go. You really should be looking at a career in politics.