Saints January '22 Transfer Activity

Melbourne Saint

Jacob Butterfield - Derby County 2015 - 19
Gary Rowett - Derby County 2017 - 18 although Butterfield was out on loan at Sheffield Wednesday. 

300+ games in the English Championship, no career changing injury, been keeping himself fit and could be available quickly enough. Not that shabby for a free agent.

The season was ****ed in the summer.  I couldn't care less who we now sign and for how long as long as we stay up and have a reasonable go at defending the Scottish Cup. This season is simply damage limitation time.

18 minutes ago, Sergei said:

Wow. You're really trying to turn a generalist comment, one of the many derogatory posts in your campaign against Callum and his supposed signings. into a prediction to prove you're not a renowned fantasist. 

Yes. It's just a coincidence that I said we'd be signing a 30+yo who hasn't played for 6 months 3 days before it comes out publicly that we're signing a 30+yo who hasn't played for 6 months.

And I'm the fantastist...

Edited by RandomGuy

17 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

Yes. It's just a coincidence that I said we'd be signing a 30+yo who hasn't played for 6 months 3 days before it comes out publicly that we're signing a 30+yo who hasn't played for 6 months.

And I'm the fantastist...

You actually said 'We'll likely sign a 30+yo who's not played in 6 months, instead of a 23yo on a longer deal, in the next few weeks,' while bleating about Callum's 'abysmal' signings in response to the media stuff about that had come out that day. It was a blatantly obvious throwaway derogatory comment, not a cryptic hint. I know you'd keep going keep round and round in circles all day given the chance. You've said your piece, I've said mine. 

16 minutes ago, Sergei said:

You actually said 'We'll likely sign a 30+yo who's not played in 6 months, instead of a 23yo on a longer deal, in the next few weeks,' while bleating about Callum's 'abysmal' signings in response to the media stuff about that had come out that day. It was a blatantly obvious throwaway derogatory comment, not a cryptic hint. I know you'd keep going keep round and round in circles all day given the chance. You've said your piece, I've said mine. 

Well I couldn't exactly say "we'll likely sign Jacob Butterfield for 6 months instead of redacted for 2 years", could I?

12 minutes ago, THE LARK SAINT said:

Butterfield signed for 6 months initially CD was hoping to have him in squad today but still waiting on clearance from Australian FA

Hopefully OK for Wednesday 

That baffles me as he left Australian football back in July and has been playing with Doncaster u23s (for fitness)

So I take it he's still a registered player in Aussie land then ? 

In the relegation mire and now giving out 6 month deals, excuse will be if we go down etc don't want to over commit deals  doesn't fill me with confidence, it's all looking a bit meh, big etu did more in 30 minutes than crawford has in last 3 games, wee ally no what we need in our current predicament wages would be better spent elsewhere 

5 hours ago, THE LARK SAINT said:

Butterfield signed for 6 months initially CD was hoping to have him in squad today but still waiting on clearance from Australian FA

Hopefully OK for Wednesday 

I've seen him a few times over here. He's actually quality. 

Saints should raid the Australian market. Bargains & technically gifted.

Big thumbs up for Butterfield. Has dig in him, box- box.

Would it be worthwhile to have a word with Jody Morris (I know he is no longer at Chelsea) to see if he knows any players who can pass a ball to a player who plays for his own team.  Chelsea produced a large number of talented players and he has been involved with a few teams.  We could be greedy and ask for some who can tackle, speed to spare between the boxes and hold their head up so see players making runs. Fanciful I know, who does that.   Even more fanciful is one who knows that the rectangular thing defined by metal and net is where the balls should be stored at least once or twice a game.  

At the games I have seen this season, a holding midfielder to protect the defence, a (2) creative midfield players, a striker are the minimum required.  
Crawford, McPherson, Middleton are not a part of any solution.  Etu is raw but showed fight, not backing down to Brown unlike Crawford who didn’t put a foot in.  

Davidson and his back room staff must explain ”what trained well” meant as we didn’t look capable of passing to another Saint, didn’t make runs, no sign of joint up play, no set pieces of any guile.  

4 minutes ago, rik2304 said:

Imagine.....if we'd invested before Europe we might have beaten Lask and then earned money. 

And now we have to invest anyway in January to try and stay in the league and will likely finish bottom 6 and probably lose the new season ticket buyers next year.

I think we'll regret the approach to this Summers window for a long time, regardless of how the season ends up.

11 minutes ago, rik2304 said:

Imagine.....if we'd invested before Europe we might have beaten Lask and then earned money. 

And now we have to invest anyway in January to try and stay in the league and will likely finish bottom 6 and probably lose the new season ticket buyers next year.

It's one of football's basics that you buy when you're on top. 

1 hour ago, Linky said:

On paper this looks like a decent signing. Come January, I'd be happy with a new look centre midfield of Butterfield & Gilmour, with Davidson, Craig & Bryson as back-up.

So you would be happy with two players you have never seen and leave out Bryson who has been our only creative MF in recent games. 

16 minutes ago, Stumpy1966 said:

So you would be happy with two players you have never seen and leave out Bryson who has been our only creative MF in recent games. 

I think Bryson has been the best from the players we have. I don't think he's regular first-team material. We often play we 3 centre midfielders, so there would still be space for him

Leftfield, but worth considering.

A Chinese winger/striker. 

Massive sponsorship, even if on bench.

Look at the dude in F1, Feng, tennis, Peng (has gone missing, bhc,) snooker Shueue, even sign Xi. Or xyeu.

Just formalised a deal for a player in Australian basketball. Nothing paid, he brings $5m.

Hello China..

2 hours ago, Saintdunc said:

Amended that for you………..even at his age he could do it in Scotland.

Butterfield is just fine. Not got the legs now, but quality. Interesting if CD plays him & Bryson, as they're similar players. We'd need McPherson doing the yards.

Edited by Melbourne Saint

On 12/12/2021 at 1:53 AM, chips said:

That baffles me as he left Australian football back in July and has been playing with Doncaster u23s (for fitness)

So I take it he's still a registered player in Aussie land then ? 

He isn't registered in Aus anymore. The league structure allows for 1 "marquee" player- no limit on salary, then a squad allocation. League starts November over here.

Daniel Sturridge signed a 1 yr deal with Perth Glory in September. His salary must be ridiculous. 

To date, he's posted an Instagram job vacancy for his personal barber- wtf? And didn't realise it's a minimum 4-5 hour flight for away games. 

Oh, and made it pretty clear he's up for a shag. At 32, he should be playing for the real Saints. But we haven't got $1m to pay.

Thankfully.

He is a good player, but epic tool. Makes our rottweiler player look sane.

Edited by Melbourne Saint