Saints January '22 Transfer Activity

Melbourne Saint

13 hours ago, poang said:

anyone else heard the rumour of Cameron Jerome being lined up? my source is a mate who claims to be "in the know"...

I saw his name mentioned last week but thought it was just someone jokingly picking a random, past his sell by date player from England. 

Ironic thing is, in a bid to save or unwillingness spend to money in the summer. To get the players we need we are almost certainly going to have to pay over the odds. Which then eats into future budgets. Right royalty shot ourselves in the foot here

It's an old chestnut for the site but have we really ever replaced midgie miller? 

The forward planning seems non existent.

Maybe Gilmour is part of that and is back in Jan but is 22 now so is a bit make or break at this level and no idea how he has been doing on div1

7 hours ago, Sergei said:

I saw his name mentioned last week but thought it was just someone jokingly picking a random, past his sell by date player from England. 

Malky McKay seems to have picked up a few lower league players and got them playing well.

I may be wrong but I don't think many of them are loans but I am sure Random will correct me.

Davidson saying 3, 4, 5 or 6 are coming in.

I guess Cleary & Ali Crawford are two. That leaves 1, 2, 3 or 4 to come.

I'd suggest he's looking for a striker (Cameron Jerome is the rumour), a winger to replace Solomon-Otabor more permanently, another centre midfielder (assuming MacPherson is sent back rather than signed). Perhaps someone playing in the MOH role?

If we're signing up to 6 players, who is out?

Ambrose's contract might be cancelled. I can see Muller & MacPherson going home. Solomon-Otabor will head off presumably. Would Vertainen head out (on loan)? Surely we wouldn't move Craig on. We've recently given new contracts to May, MOH & Kane so can't see them going. Everyone else is a regular under Davidson, or on loan as a cheap back-up that we'd probably need to keep.

4 minutes ago, Saintdunc said:

Craig, from what I have read on here, is showing his age, and too much is expected of him. Perhaps a midfield coaching role would suit him. 

Hope we can persuade Butterfield and Cleary to sign.

Clearly has signed 2 and half years 

Butterfield 18 months I think 

2 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

Butterfield was only until the Summer.

But hes over 30 and played under Gary Rowett before, so the manager will be chucking a 2yr deal at him soon.

Oh random give it a rest. It might have funny once (debatable) but after 600 times it gets a bit boring. 

7 hours ago, John Bonham said:

Tbf he looks absolute class and with games under his belt could be a real asset

Thought after his goal v County he really stepped up. Improvement in performance from the whole team seemed to come from him demanding the ball and playing it from tight spaces. Kind of vanished after half time.

I'm just not convinced he's a good fit for the CMs we already have. The midfield v County played well enough but a lack of energy and running in there caused issues as the game went on. Maybe some of the returning loan players resolves that, but just now I'd he holding off on extending Butterfields deal tbh. He'll be expensive and we need to see how he plays beside the next version of our midfield.

3 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

Thought after his goal v County he really stepped up. Improvement in performance from the whole team seemed to come from him demanding the ball and playing it from tight spaces. Kind of vanished after half time.

I'm just not convinced he's a good fit for the CMs we already have. The midfield v County played well enough but a lack of energy and running in there caused issues as the game went on. Maybe some of the returning loan players resolves that, but just now I'd he holding off on extending Butterfields deal tbh. He'll be expensive and we need to see how he plays beside the next version of our midfield.

I think it’s fair to hold off extending, but he’s only started 2 games and I think will continue to improve as he gets more match sharpness. 

I agree though that we need a really athletic CM in there - McCann covered every blade of grass whilst also being able to retain the ball and find great passes. We’re not going to be able to find anothet one but we should be looking for someone who can bring those attributes. 

14 hours ago, Linky said:

If we're signing up to 6 players, who is out?

Ambrose's contract might be cancelled. I can see Muller & MacPherson going home. Solomon-Otabor will head off presumably. Would Vertainen head out (on loan)? Surely we wouldn't move Craig on. We've recently given new contracts to May, MOH & Kane so can't see them going. Everyone else is a regular under Davidson, or on loan as a cheap back-up that we'd probably need to keep.

Did we ever actually get told how long Ambrose's deal was for? I've been wondering if he's already gone. Seems likely Muller will go too which I think is a bit of a shame - I think he's looked pretty good when he's been used, as has Devine. I suspect Callum will still want to keep MacPherson but guess his injury might put paid to that. I'd like to see Viv kept on but if he's going to spend most of his time on the bench there's probably not much point. For me Butterfield has looked by far the best of the recent additions and I'd be very happy to see him stay. We're going to end up with a completely new midfield and I think he could be a part of that.

If Eetu isn't going to get a regular run in the team it might not be the worst idea to put him out on loan to the Championship in the second half of the season. Get him playing some regular games in Scottish football and see what he can do. I'd rather see him used here, though.