Saints January '22 Transfer Activity

Melbourne Saint

All to do now?? Crawford is like watching a wee boy with no fight or no effort to put bin any tackles as player after player walks past him. A deal no chance should be goodbye. MacPherson not good enough. Devine and Mullar will both return to there clubs. Ambrose will go as not playing in a poor poor team, whatever happened? May sadly offers nothing as a striker plays more as a centre mid. Etta will he disappear in January? Lack o forward thinking has hurt us badly. The face o the club is Bev and what a job she does. 

My main worry just now is that we all know that changes / new faces are needed but I've not really seen any names being mentioned (a few in the press such as Walker but nothing on the forum). So who do we want to see?  Its easy to say a striker that can score goals but we need to identify candidates. 

FWIW  I think we need 1 or 2 defenders in - Cleary is one and assuming Muller and Ambrose are away that might be enough although McCart should be dropped 

Midfield - dump Crawford and Bryson - both are too much like passengers. Muzz isnt worth a starting jersey just now. McPherson looked ok initially but has gone back and if he's recovering from injury isnt what we need - so at least 2 central midfielders with the ability to hold up the ball and (God forbid) some pace and hunger to push forward.  Might be worth looking at Gilmour/Ballantyne/Ferguson as cover options for the squad - all 3 should be nearer pushing for at least a squad jersey 

Up front - Viv hasn't done enough for me - was decent today but doesnt come across as willing to dig in and fight. Middleton doesn't do enough over 90 minutes although unlikely to see Rangers recalling him. Not sure what the story is with Hendry either. Kane is a decent option up front but needs a partner - Eetu seems more of a runner but if he's not going to cut it that's at least 1 and possibly 2 needed up front.

As for names - sorry don't have a clue - especially when it comes to strikers. What we don't need are more 30+ journeymen on short-term deals till the end of the season. Anyone we do sign should be in it for the long-haul and if that includes a drop to the Championship so be it. We need to build a team thats here longer-term so we're not looking at another rebuild in the summer / next Jan.

1 hour ago, Shibbydoo said:

If we sign Crawford I won't be watching any more of this team until Callum is gone.

That would be the ultimate boot in the fanny - arguably our worst player this season.

Calum if he reads or is kept up to date of comments like this cannot possibly extend his stay here.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy said:

Shankland who's first choice for a Belgian top flight side who paid £1m for him, and gave him a 3yr deal, less than 6 months ago?

We're signing that Shankland?

Yeah, the Shankland at Beerschot, who are  cut adrift by a country mile, in their top flight, and almost certainly going to be relegated. Not been a regular starter until recently and not completed many games for 90 minutes. 

He says he is happy and he would say that in his first year, would he not? Players get homesick especially if they are not regularly doing the business.

I would think if Callum is being given the funds in January he is exactly the type of player that should be on his radar.

23 minutes ago, Saintdunc said:

Koreans seem popular at the moment.

This guy is a free agent who has been on his travels, unusually for a North Korean.

Pak Kwang Ryong age 29

Being used to an oppressive dictator, austere conditions and subsistence level wages he wouldn't need a settling in period if he joined Saints. 

1 hour ago, Saintdunc said:

Yeah, the Shankland at Beerschot, who are  cut adrift by a country mile, in their top flight, and almost certainly going to be relegated. Not been a regular starter until recently and not completed many games for 90 minutes. 

He says he is happy and he would say that in his first year, would he not? Players get homesick especially if they are not regularly doing the business.

I would think if Callum is being given the funds in January he is exactly the type of player that should be on his radar.

Would it be a loan or permanent?

40 minutes ago, rik2304 said:

Where's James Dunne these days?

Erm? Southend, admittedly playing regularly at that level, whilst Abeid seems to be doing ok in the Middle East and 24 year old Matt Butcher is highly regarded by Accrington Stanley. All 3 totalled about 20 games for Saints. Of those 3 I would have Butcher back.