Saints January '22 Transfer Activity

Melbourne Saint

2 hours ago, Saintdunc said:

Koreans seem popular at the moment.

This guy is a free agent who has been on his travels, unusually for a North Korean.

Pak Kwang Ryong age 29

Anyone we sign who hasn't played in the UK before will sit in the stand for three months while Davidson tries to talk himself into trusting him to play, so I wouldn't expect to see any sort of left-field signing like this.

Can I add that we also need a left-sided centre-half, because McCart should not be anywhere near our starting line-up at the moment.

What worries me about the expected raft of incoming new arrivals is that we're completely ripping apart the continuity that the success of our club was built on. How many summers on here have we looked at other clubs' numerous new signings and praised Saints for not doing things that way? For years now we've kept a consistent core to the team and just made small changes each season, and it's worked. Now, because of such bad planning, we're about to chuck in a bunch of (probably) free agents on (probably) short-term deals and hope that they somehow gel immediately into a winning team who have the heart to pull us out of this mess. I'm not saying we should stick with what we have, because clearly that's turned to shit ... but I'm just not convinced that a panicky recruitment drive halfway through a season is actually going to work. :sad:

19 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

Anyone we sign who hasn't played in the UK before will sit in the stand for three months while Davidson tries to talk himself into trusting him to play, so I wouldn't expect to see any sort of left-field signing like this.

Can I add that we also need a left-sided centre-half, because McCart should not be anywhere near our starting line-up at the moment.

What worries me about the expected raft of incoming new arrivals is that we're completely ripping apart the continuity that the success of our club was built on. How many summers on here have we looked at other clubs' numerous new signings and praised Saints for not doing things that way? For years now we've kept a consistent core to the team and just made small changes each season, and it's worked. Now, because of such bad planning, we're about to chuck in a bunch of (probably) free agents on (probably) short-term deals and hope that they somehow gel immediately into a winning team who have the heart to pull us out of this mess. I'm not saying we should stick with what we have, because clearly that's turned to shit ... but I'm just not convinced that a panicky recruitment drive halfway through a season is actually going to work. :sad:

The key thing is the quality of the signings. That for me means probably not free and, if they're that good, longer term deals to go beyond this summer

45 minutes ago, THE LARK SAINT said:

I have it on very good authority that he recently signed a 2 and half year contract. to be announced when window opens

I wouldn't be surprised. I am sure there was talk about that a month or so ago with Saints wanting Bolton to release him. Saints wouldn't sign a player without letting the fans know especially as we needed a boost :laugh:.

52 minutes ago, sideline said:

A two and half year deal after the Celtic performance and the decision to substitute him at half time would take some explaining.  We need some midfielders who can actually run at the opposition. 

Perhaps he wasn’t fully fit but bravely took the decision to encourage his teammates from the middle of the park so they could follow his undoubted leadership qualities!!!!!!!!!

I hope our issue is simply quality of the players and maybe tactics, which both at least can in theory be corrected. If CDs lost the dressing room, then quality may come in and lose momentum.... i feel like viv was a live wire when he arrived and then faded a bit.

I still believe in CD and that he has the qualities though to lead this, but just needs better players more cash....simple stuff really. Shame it took us a crisis to get there.

9 hours ago, blueheaven said:

I'm actually confused as to what you are saying. Our squad has been shown up this season, injuries or not. Our tactics are debatable at best- maybe CD can justify some of it by not having a consistent XI.

As I see it, we don't have a choice but to sign 3-4 players. Whether they're panic deals or not remains to be seen. But I'd certainly expect Grieve to have been focussing on a McCann type replacement + striker.

The fact is, is that unless players come in, we're definitely doomed in my eyes. Even journeymen signings can offer a glimmer of hope and maybe raisemorale. Which must be attrocious right now.

10 hours ago, Saintdunc said:

Hardly inspiring if true.

Welcome to the Callum Davidson January bonanza.

Looking forward to folk watching him spend 6 figures on MacPherson, Crawford and Wighton, and still trying to claim he's just a poor wee soul who gets no support from his chairman.

He got support and time to replace Kerr, who was always leaving after the qualifiers, and picked James Brown and Hayden Muller. His choice.

7 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

Looking forward to folk watching him spend 6 figures on MacPherson, Crawford and Wighton, and still trying to claim he's just a poor wee soul who gets no support from his chairman.

He got support and time to replace Kerr, who was always leaving after the qualifiers, and picked James Brown and Hayden Muller. His choice.

Tbf Browns been one of our better players this season. Even when playing wing back he just gets on with it. 

8 minutes ago, Brian Potter said:

I mean, he’s clearly a right back who’s being asked to play wing back/centre half. Not really his fault. All things considering I think he’s doing ok.

Fully agree with this.

Makes you wonder why a manager who's never played a system with full backs gave him a 2 year deal though doesn't it?

Steve Brown probably forced him to do it.

43 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

Support and time but no money. I bet Callum wishes he could have you as his adviser rather than the present occupiers of these roles.