Saints January '22 Transfer Activity

Melbourne Saint

15 minutes ago, saintee in exile said:

A lot of those issues came about because he'd built a squad with multiple players earning a fortune and doing **** all.

Wright, May, O'Halloran, Swanson, McMillan were all around, or over, 6 figure salaries and still on our books for the full season.

45 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

A lot of those issues came about because he'd built a squad with multiple players earning a fortune and doing **** all.

Wright, May, O'Halloran, Swanson, McMillan were all around, or over, 6 figure salaries and still on our books for the full season.

We finished in the top 6 in that season (again) so he can't have built that bad a squad. Pretty much every squad has a few signings within it that haven't worked out.

If you offered me that Saints squad now I'd bite your hand off.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy said:

He's as obvious a back up player at this level as you're likely to get. Offers nothing in attack.

He's also been comfortably our most consistent performer in the RCB position since Kerr left.

1 hour ago, blueheaven said:

We finished in the top 6 in that season (again) so he can't have built that bad a squad. Pretty much every squad has a few signings within it that haven't worked out.

If you offered me that Saints squad now I'd bite your hand off.

He's also been comfortably our most consistent performer in the RCB position since Kerr left.

I'm not saying it was a bad squad. Just that moaning you're getting outbid for players is a bit daft when you've already got a handful of massive earners at the club.

Brown has been our best option at RCB, but he's not good enough to play there every week as he doesn't contribute anything going forward. The system doesn't suit him at all.

11 hours ago, templeofsaints said:

Not the worst name I've heard. He's not an out and out striker though which is what we badly need. 

Provided there was no fee then probably a decent addition to the squad. Problem is we have too many squad players for that position. We need a proven goal scorer but can't see Saints finding one going by the past couple of windows.

6 minutes ago, garydavidson said:

Is this approach going to work? All the agents know how desperate we are - from a position of strength in summer to this. Will only make it worse if we spend a fortune and still get relegated.

What are the stats from being bottom at Christmas and surviving? 

Thats the worry and a distinct possibility.

10 hours ago, Cagey said:

Provided there was no fee then probably a decent addition to the squad. Problem is we have too many squad players for that position. We need a proven goal scorer but can't see Saints finding one going by the past couple of windows.

Agreed but its interesting that nobody on WAP has been able to come up with any names.

I can’t quite decide whether the fact that there haven’t really been any rumours about these new players we’re going to sign is a good thing, because they are not the usual suspects and we’re pushing the boat out for some quality, or a bad thing because the club doesn’t have any idea who to sign and will just leave it until the last 24 hours of the window to see who is desperate.

Saints get another £250,000 UEFA solidarity payment to spend on youth system along with 9 others. Must be spent on youth system but I am sure it will free off money they would have spent on youths.

Saints haven't got the transfer market to themselves. I am sure Dundee,StMirren,Killie & others will be fishing in the same pool.

I see Drey Wright is back in Hibs plans.

20 hours ago, Cagey said:

Board (is that Roddy & Brooner) saying they are releasing significant sums o sign players in the mid season window.

Is that saying if it goes tits up its Callums fault.

I wonder what they call considerable funds. £100 grand ???.

Previous year 2.8 million cash in bank, last accounts 3.9 million cash according to newspaper reports.

Add to that 1.7 m for transfers and 1.5 m for Europe and then increased tickets sales.

Squad needs significant change , Brown must trust the structure in place as he has sanctioned it.

The cost of going down is horrendous so suspect very significant funds to CD to put this right.

Certain to be some players sold and some sent back .

Going to be a very interesting few weeks ahead.

44 minutes ago, Ginger Bakers rebel army said:

Previous year 2.8 million cash in bank, last accounts 3.9 million cash according to newspaper reports.

Add to that 1.7 m for transfers and 1.5 m for Europe and then increased tickets sales.

Squad needs significant change , Brown must trust the structure in place as he has sanctioned it.

The cost of going down is horrendous so suspect very significant funds to CD to put this right.

Certain to be some players sold and some sent back .

Going to be a very interesting few weeks ahead.

John Terry gone back to Chelski, so it won’t be him following the footsteps of Jody Morris!