Saints January '22 Transfer Activity

Melbourne Saint

9 minutes ago, cristo said:

Maybe CD has plans for a whole new midfield which involves Crawford as far away from defensive duty as possible. He couldn't win a ball in a raffle if he bought all the tickets!!

However he's our player now and CD is going nowhere so let's see who else comes in and where Crawford fits in.

Defensive duties are all over the pitch and giving the ball away in his own half & not getting the criticism Vertainan got shows he can do no wrong in Davidson's eyes. Also in the Celtic game , just standing and watching Rodic waltz through midfield.

I am speechless tha Davidson can offer s guy a 2.5 year contract after watching that. He even subbed him at half time.

1 minute ago, Cagey said:

Defensive duties are all over the pitch and giving the ball away in his own half & not getting the criticism Vertainan got shows he can do no wrong in Davidson's eyes. Also in the Celtic game , just standing and watching Rodic waltz through midfield.

I am speechless tha Davidson can offer s guy a 2.5 year contract after watching that. He even subbed him at half time.

That was so him and his agent could get the contract signed.

4 minutes ago, Abernethy Saint said:

Narrators voice:

This was a bare 5 months before Ally Crawford scored a hat-trick in the Scottish Cup Final, and became a Saints legend forever.

I'd love this and personally send him a big bunch of flowers to say sorry. But I think my bank balance is safe enough.

37 minutes ago, Cagey said:

We have gone from offering likes of Craig ,Kane and Booth 6 months contracts to giving has been 2.5 years.

Give long contracts to players with potential but not to someone who is past it and unlikely to get any better.

Window less than exciting with those signed or mentioned so far.

They gave them a contract for 6 months to purely see how they would get on under a new manager, 

22 minutes ago, Saintdunc said:

Slightly concerned that this is not a case of getting all the “good news signings” delivered early before those of lesser quality arriving, if at all

Hopefully not too much of the Chairman’s pot of spondoolies has gone yet.

I'm hoping it's a case of confirming the ones we pretty much knew were going to happen (Cleary, Crawford) and that very soon we're about to break the transfer record on someone who's 12 - 15 goals between now and May can keep us up. Or someone who can provide the ammunition for one of our current strikers.

2 hours ago, Shibbydoo said:

And he's SHITE!

I actually don’t think Ali Crawford is terrible. I don’t think he is, at all, suited to Scottish football at this stage in his career. I also don’t think he is suited to the system that Callum Davidson plays.

He’s a good ball carrier, has a shot in him and is a good option from dead ball situations. He’s willing to go past a man and has a very tidy first touch.

His lack of willingness to tackle, track back or take on a leadership role are massive issues though.

Edited by R.B.B:- Adz

4 minutes ago, R.B.B:- Adz said:

I actually don’t think Ali Crawford is terrible. I don’t think he is at all suited to Scottish football at this stage in his career. I also don’t think he is suited to the system that Callum Davidson plays.

He’s a good ball carrier, has a shot in him and is a good option from dead ball situations. He’s willing to go past a man and has a very tidy first touch.

His lack of willingness to tackle, track back or take on a leadership role are massive issues though.

He's also not able to play a full 90  (has he done so since he came here) - doesnt have the legs any more. So if he does play chances are hes off the bench or else going to need subbed around 60-70 min mark. I want the guy to do well and hope he does but he's done nothing to prove it and God knows why we gave him a deal just now when another 6 months loan would have allowed us to firm up an opinion a bit more before gambling a hefty chunk of cash on another 2 years.

I can't even understand the thinking behind it. If Davidson thinks he's good, or has some plan to get the best out of him, surely the Chairman would have said 'fine, give him a 6 month deal'. You give long deals to players like Gordon who other teams might actually make an offer for, otherwise all you need is 1 year or 6 months.

The funniest thing is seeing Bolton fans on twitter say things like: 'you think he was bad when he was with you for 6 months trying to earn a deal, see what he's like with the cushion of a 2 and half year deal and nothing to prove'.

23 minutes ago, Linky said:

The funniest thing is seeing Bolton fans on twitter say things like: 'you think he was bad when he was with you for 6 months trying to earn a deal, see what he's like with the cushion of a 2 and half year deal and nothing to prove'.

i would not read too much into what fans are saying on twitter when you read some of the shite that our own fans put on,

Crawford is not near as bad as half of the comments.  

38 minutes ago, templeofsaints said:

He's also not able to play a full 90  (has he done so since he came here) - doesnt have the legs any more. So if he does play chances are hes off the bench or else going to need subbed around 60-70 min mark. I want the guy to do well and hope he does but he's done nothing to prove it and God knows why we gave him a deal just now when another 6 months loan would have allowed us to firm up an opinion a bit more before gambling a hefty chunk of cash on another 2 years.

None of it makes sense.

Wasn't getting a game for Bolton. Farmed out to Tranmere where he only got 4 starts. Comes to Saints and shows nothing. Gets a 2.5 year contract. Nuts.

16 minutes ago, mainstand said:

i would not read too much into what fans are saying on twitter when you read some of the shite that our own fans put on,

Crawford is not near as bad as half of the comments.  

I always like your balanced posts and tendency to defend the club, but this is terrible business both on and off the pitch.

I hate players being made the pantomime villan, but Crawford is everything I don't want to see on the pitch in a relegation battle or in fact at any time.

I've never been so against us signing a player in a very long time.