Saints January '22 Transfer Activity

Melbourne Saint

24 minutes ago, Johnny B said:

Strikers Çiftçi, Kane, Vertainen and May (O;Halloran???) cannot see us bringing in another striker

Attacking midfielder yes 

Winger we do not play with wingers that is now the job of wing backs that's why MOH and Middleton do not fit into the system unless they play as attacking midfielder behind front 2

I don't get this. We regularly play with two wide forwards on either side of a lone striker. It's probably the formation we've used most often since Davidson's arrival. If anything it's a central attacking midfielder like Crawford who has struggled to fit into the system.

3 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

I don't get this. We regularly play with two wide forwards on either side of a lone striker. It's probably the formation we've used most often since Davidson's arrival. If anything it's a central attacking midfielder like Crawford who has struggled to fit into the system.

The system doesn't suit Middleton or O'Halloran, who both want to get white paint on their boots and face up a full back. Hence why Davidson ends up playing them as strikers, something that has to stop if we we are to improve. 

It was a poor decision to bring them both back this season, rather than try and find players that are better suited to the systems we use.

15 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

I don't get this. We regularly play with two wide forwards on either side of a lone striker. It's probably the formation we've used most often since Davidson's arrival.

That's why when they play O'Halloran and Rooney they keep running into each other both wanting to play wide on the wing.

1 hour ago, Radford 72 said:

The system doesn't suit Middleton or O'Halloran, who both want to get white paint on their boots and face up a full back. Hence why Davidson ends up playing them as strikers, something that has to stop if we we are to improve. 

It was a poor decision to bring them both back this season, rather than try and find players that are better suited to the systems we use.

56 minutes ago, Johnny B said:

That's why when they play O'Halloran and Rooney they keep running into each other both wanting to play wide on the wing.

But regardless of whether or not our current players have performed well in the system, the fact surely still remains that Davidson's preferred system has involved two wide forwards on either side of a lone central striker, and no central attacking midfielder. That's why I find it odd to say we don't play with wingers and are more in need of an attacking midfielder. A central attacking midfielder will only fit in if Davidson starts including one in his system, which he's been pretty reluctant to do so far. We've already signed one central attacking midfielder (Crawford) who doesn't fit into our system.

I thought Middleton did really well for us last season so wouldn't agree that it was a poor decision to bring him back. I can't remember there being many complaints at the time. His performances since coming back have been poor, however.

The recent comments from the manager about how good Ballantyne and Gilmour are would be good news under any normal circumstances. However, the situation we currently find ourselves, it makes me think that we've missed out on our midfielder targets and so are complimenting these players in the press to soften the blow. Expect comments soon about having these two players back being like 'signing two new players'.

I'm quite happy for these two to be back ups for the rest of the season, and think that would be a good thing for our ageing midfield, but we need to get someone to play alongside Butterfield. It's sad to say goodbye to heroes, but I think Davidson, Craig & Bryson are all past it at this level. The fact that MacPherson's loan hasn't been cut short makes me anxious.

11 minutes ago, Linky said:

The recent comments from the manager about how good Ballantyne and Gilmour are would be good news under any normal circumstances. However, the situation we currently find ourselves, it makes me think that we've missed out on our midfielder targets and so are complimenting these players in the press to soften the blow. Expect comments soon about having these two players back being like 'signing two new players'.

I'm quite happy for these two to be back ups for the rest of the season, and think that would be a good thing for our ageing midfield, but we need to get someone to play alongside Butterfield. It's sad to say goodbye to heroes, but I think Davidson, Craig & Bryson are all past it at this level. The fact that MacPherson's loan hasn't been cut short makes me anxious.

I think you are a bit past it (sorry) missed it but Ballantyne is back at Montrose for the rest of the season. 

3 hours ago, blueheaven said:

Yes selecting Crawford only makes sense when we play 5-3-2 with him being an advanced midfielder pushing onto support the strikers.

He’s nowhere near strong enough defensively to be part of a two man midfield.

I’m aware he’s been very poor so far before everyone comes back with selecting him never makes sense!  Just hoping if we can be far better on the ball and play in the opposition half a lot more, we can see some of his attacking qualities that Callum obviously sees in training each day.

3 hours ago, blueheaven said:

I thought Middleton did really well for us last season so wouldn't agree that it was a poor decision to bring him back. I can't remember there being many complaints at the time. His performances since coming back have been poor, however.

I must've blinked in those instances where he was doing really well. 

He had some huge moments, which in itself can be a useful trait in a footballer and could be the only justification for bringing him back. He only started four games and two of them were when we played much-changed teams. 

You can call them wingers but you need far more in your locker than Middleton or O'Halloran offer to play in Davidson's 5-2-3 system. 

19 minutes ago, Radford 72 said:

I must've blinked in those instances where he was doing really well. 

He had some huge moments, which in itself can be a useful trait in a footballer and could be the only justification for bringing him back. He only started four games and two of them were when we played much-changed teams. 

For me, he added energy to our attacks, gave us a great option from the bench and defences found him difficult to handle. Completely appreciate that most of his appearances were as a sub, but I think he showed enough for there to be a hope that he could kick on this season and establish himself as a starter. Clearly that hasn't happened but again, I think most people were in agreement that getting him back seemed like a good move at the time. He's far from the only player who hasn't met last season's standards.

20 minutes ago, Radford 72 said:

You can call them wingers but you need far more in your locker than Middleton or O'Halloran offer to play in Davidson's 5-2-3 system. 

This actually backs up my point, which is that we do need wingers/wide forwards (whatever you want to call them), if we're going to stick with Davidson's system. To go full circle back to the start of this discussion, my original point was that it makes no sense to say we don't use wingers and that our only wide players are the full-backs.

6 hours ago, Evansabove said:

You have to laugh at saints fans . Moan if it’s a loan , moan we’re giving players contracts , moan that it’s a defender , moan that they don’t keep it quiet , moan that the club don’t tell them anything , moan that we don’t have enough midfielders , moan that we don’t have enough attackers , moan that we never preempt a player leaving, moan when do preempt a player leaving . 
 Some motley crue 

I wont disagree that I like to moan. But this season some of the signing decisions have been questionable to say the least. We should have been going into this season on a high with more bargaining power than ever before, players should have been wanting to come here but what a different picture now.

3 hours ago, mainstand said:

Dont know why everyone is worried the Daily Ranger says we have signed ALI McCANN form Bolton on a long term deal  :roll:

The DR also thinks Motherwell can sign Rudden on a pre contract.  I hope we haven't given up on the lad, we need a striker who can score goals and he seems to be the best available prospect.  I suppose if Motherwell get a fee to allow Watt to join Dundee Utd now they will be well able to outbid us but surely we should have at least one more try with what is left in the transfer kitty which does not appear to have been put under any great strain so far.

7 hours ago, Evansabove said:

You have to laugh at saints fans . Moan if it’s a loan , moan we’re giving players contracts , moan that it’s a defender , moan that they don’t keep it quiet , moan that the club don’t tell them anything , moan that we don’t have enough midfielders , moan that we don’t have enough attackers , moan that we never preempt a player leaving, moan when do preempt a player leaving . 
 Some motley crue 

I've got out perfect new owner!

michelle-mone-for-my-part-beneficial-ppe-company-arrange-through-her-husbands-worker.jpg

We’re doomed aren’t we….all the talk of clearing out the dead wood, spending money to solve the creativity and goal scoring…and we’ve basically only swapped Cleary for Dendonker…..will be the same team that starts back next week….thoroughly depressing! 

I'm feeling optimistic. We're less than halfway through the window. I can see that we've lost out on a few targets, but more will be coming in. Sometimes new players bring more confidence, or they just click and become more than the sum of their parts.

My worry is that the knowledge of McCart and Clark leaving is a big problems in terms of the morale of the squad. After the sales in the summer, it will be another blow to know that 2 of your best players are off, and the other is out with injury until the end of the season.