Saints January '22 Transfer Activity

Melbourne Saint

8 hours ago, Rob said:

Was that the header from about a yard or so out. Sure I was behind the goal for that one. Felt like he was finished at Saints after that. Its probably a bit of shrewd business from Motherwell. They probably realised they werent going to get that out of him for the rest of the season especially with him moving on. Think Motherwell said they werent going to rush to spend the money and replace him. You never know he might get another 10 in the 2nd half of the season for utd but who knows, a bit risky if you ask me. Think after his first few goals for Saints we were thinking high double figures.

Is Chifti still awaiting international clearance? Think we need someone a little unpredictable like him up front, someone able to create a goal out of nothing since there is a chance thats what he might get.

It was indeed that header, should hae been punted after that.

13 hours ago, R.B.B:- Adz said:

Now that is ambition.

Identify a striker that is on red hot form. Make him a target. Offer him a long term deal. Offer him good money. Aim to improve you squad and keep your fans happy. Stay in the Premier league.

It's certainly a big statement (and I'm assuming the Finnish keeper they've just signed won't have come cheap either). Not convinced Watt's a particularly great signing, though. Up until this season he'd never managed a double-figure goal season at any point in his career.

Whenever I see a club like Dundee United chucking money around, my instinctive gut reaction is that this will probably all end up backfiring on them badly.

25 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

It's certainly a big statement (and I'm assuming the Finnish keeper they've just signed won't have come cheap either). Not convinced Watt's a particularly great signing, though. Up until this season he'd never managed a double-figure goal season at any point in his career.

Whenever I see a club like Dundee United chucking money around, my instinctive gut reaction is that this will probably all end up backfiring on them badly.

At the first chance he’ll down tools ……. ( as someone said I’d rather have a hole in the team than an arse-hole ) Ciftci will bring more to saints than Watt will to Dundee Utd . 

1 hour ago, blueheaven said:

I have no interest in Utd or Watt.

Still waiting on some positive news on the transfer front to give us a lift.

40 minutes ago, SaintJet said:

Depending on (1) whether we can gel together tonight and look like team that deserves to be at the top table or (2) totally capitulate and look like a group of players who have never seen each other before, will determine the quality of player we can attract.

I don’t have a great feeling about this at all. It will not be easy tonight and neither will the game against Kelty. 

I hope I am wrong, starting tonight.

4 hours ago, blueheaven said:

We just sold a 17 yo who has played 5 games for 800k (2mil in add-ons) it would be rank bad management not use some of that cash to take the opportunity of the divisions top scorer, when we are among the lowest scoring teams in the league.  Your hapless board sold two of the most effective and successful players of last season for double than that amount and signed no one, before heading to the relegation spot, I’m guessing the backfiring might be at McD!

The doom and gloom on here is breath taking 

Has everyone just thrown the towel in?

I was delighted we got the players we did early in the window, potentially really good players 

I had like others for a few more but we all know the January transfer window is difficult and getting the ones we did early was great 

Clearly Gallagher will be Good signings, does no one else believe that?

Chiffti will score goals 

I also believe more signings will come,we got rid of loan players that unless we got lucky were never going to play regularly and did they really care?were they even ready for Scottish Football 

Calculated risk on the successful half season of McNamara??

We will now replace them with long term contracts 

I still reckon 3 or 4

Right come on Lets believe, starting tonight 

Come on!!!

14 minutes ago, THE LARK SAINT said:

The doom and gloom on here is breath taking 

Has everyone just thrown the towel in?

I was delighted we got the players we did early in the window, potentially really good players 

I had like others for a few more but we all know the January transfer window is difficult and getting the ones we did early was great 

Clearly Gallagher will be Good signings, does no one else believe that?

Chiffti will score goals 

I also believe more signings will come,we got rid of loan players that unless we got lucky were never going to play regularly and did they really care?were they even ready for Scottish Football 

Calculated risk on the successful half season of McNamara??

We will now replace them with long term contracts 

I still reckon 3 or 4

Right come on Lets believe, starting tonight 

Come on!!!

I admire your optimism but hard to get excited with the real lack of quality and experience we are desperate for.

The next few league games are absolutley crucial:  Dundee, Aberdeen, Utd. St.Mirren, Ross.

You often see a couple of players coming in and raising the rest of the club but it's hard to see at the moment. I'm also worried  that we seem to be targeting young players - quality but nonetheless little experience which might suggest that we are going to accept our fate and then try and come back at the first attempt. If so very risky strategy!

3 hours ago, SaintJet said:

In the window we are down on quantity. Time will tell if we are if we are down on quality. Have said before we have replaced like for like.

Still a couple of weeks to go to fix it but we have 2 huge games before that.

1 hour ago, Smarmy Arab said:

We just sold a 17 yo who has played 5 games for 800k (2mil in add-ons) it would be rank bad management not use some of that cash to take the opportunity of the divisions top scorer, when we are among the lowest scoring teams in the league.  Your hapless board sold two of the most effective and successful players of last season for double than that amount and signed no one, before heading to the relegation spot, I’m guessing the backfiring might be at McD!

Oh absolutely - there's nothing you've said there about Saints' situation that I haven't said on here myself!

1 hour ago, SaintJet said:

I admire your optimism but hard to get excited with the real lack of quality and experience we are desperate for.

The next few league games are absolutley crucial:  Dundee, Aberdeen, Utd. St.Mirren, Ross.

You often see a couple of players coming in and raising the rest of the club but it's hard to see at the moment. I'm also worried  that we seem to be targeting young players - quality but nonetheless little experience which might suggest that we are going to accept our fate and then try and come back at the first attempt. If so very risky strategy!

Have you written off the new signings without even seeing them play for us? How is Cifti not experienced. Older experienced player in abundance at the Club Midfield has exerience throughout.

1 hour ago, Smarmy Arab said:

When was the last Untied won anything of note . Well apart from beating Barcelona. At least Watt and the United fans will have something to talk about when it all goes pear shaped . 

15 hours ago, Rob said:

Is Chifti still awaiting international clearance? Think we need someone a little unpredictable like him up front, someone able to create a goal out of nothing since there is a chance thats what he might get.

I don't know if this has been answered at all but I sort of assumed so from this club tweet (massive, desperate, reading between the lines here):

It must’ve been torture for you last season with us sitting bottom of the league and still not being able to gloat . Then like a Phoenix from the flames we bounced back  :razz: . 
 Even now you’re looking over your shoulder wondering when it’s gonna happen . Even how shit we’ve been we still managed 3 points at Tannadice :)

32 minutes ago, mainstand said:

Have you written off the new signings without even seeing them play for us? How is Cifti not experienced. Older experienced player in abundance at the Club Midfield has exerience throughout.

Agreed we have lots of experience in midfield but they have been awful this year and I'm not sold on Crawford. I've never heard of Cifti since the boar war so not expecting too much either but I'm hoping I'm wrong.

24 minutes ago, garydavidson said:

I don't know if this has been answered at all but I sort of assumed so from this club tweet (massive, desperate, reading between the lines here):

Just asked Eric Nicolson on twitter and his response was ‘Would be shocked if he wasn’t ok to play’

Doesn't matter how many defenders or excellent defenders you have. If because of the midfield you are defending for 75% of the game your going to leak goals. The other 25% of the time because of the midfield we offer no attacking threat.

Unless Gilmore is some player and Crawford suddenly steps up this has not been rectified

Essentially we are going into a game that could see us 7 adrift of safety come the end and I only expect one of our new signings to play