Saints January '22 Transfer Activity

Melbourne Saint

3 hours ago, blueheaven said:

This isn't a comment on Forrest as a player but bloody hell it really shows the extent of our desperation when we're offering to pay a transfer fee for a Livingston player who struggles to get a game there and is out of contract at the end of the season anyway.

Really hope that amongst all this talk of wingers and full-backs and defenders, someone somewhere at the club is concentrating on our gigantic central midfield problem.

Said this last night , oh for a ball winning midfielder who can create a bit of magic . There was enough money to bring in doobs and Morris in a division below . 

3 hours ago, SaintJet said:

All good points but along with a central playmaker I also think we need to be having somone who can get down the wings from midfield and get some decent ball over! One of our strong suits when Tommy was here was wingers like Wright and Kennedy and even MOH when he was in decent form. I don't see anyone hitting the line now and crossing and it's been like that for months.

Making it sound like it’s years since MOH played a good game . Was superb last season . 

We could go through the whole team and say there shocking we could pick on the manager and say his selections line up and transfer business is shocking we can criticise the board and staff and say there shocking.

What we really need to do is get behind what we have and drive them on to get us out of this situation

4 minutes ago, Broggy Man said:

We could go through the whole team and say there shocking we could pick on the manager and say his selections line up and transfer business is shocking we can criticise the board and staff and say there shocking.

What we really need to do is get behind what we have and drive them on to get us out of this situation

Saints fans are shocking . You actually wonder why they even follow the club if they’re that unhappy :confused:

18 minutes ago, templeofsaints said:

Livi confirming they've knocked back 2 bids from Saints for Forrest

Martindale states that he has “told St Johnstone that any bid must be at a premium that makes it worthwhile for Livingston to let him go”. 

That’’ll be a foreign concept to whoever is dealing with the transfers at McDiarmid. 

So far this smells like the end of the Sandy Clark era. Good players leaving for pastures new and the players coming in with premier league experience, not up to the same standard.

You can understand ICT's rejection of a bid for Deas. Are they better to hold onto him for their promotion push and the money promotion would give them. Also, we are potentially a rival in the playoff spot come the end of the season. I suspect they will keep him until the summer and then be open to a transfer....whether we or they are in the premier by that time, who knows.

Same with Livi, why sell to a relegation rival better keep the rival as weak as possible. For Forrest himself, does he really want to come now when he could be playing Championship footy....or wait, keep his options open in the summer.

I suspect we will find it pretty difficult to 'sell' the club to players at the moment. Really have to hope we don't lose in mid-week or it will just become even more difficult.

9 minutes ago, Pat McGroin said:

Martindale states that he has “told St Johnstone that any bid must be at a premium that makes it worthwhile for Livingston to let him go”. 

That’’ll be a foreign concept to whoever is dealing with the transfers at McDiarmid. 

Pretty low bar being set for our targets; I don't get it. Shopping in Aldi when we need to be shopping in Waitrose or even trying the for "quick sale" isle in Harrods.

If we go down the loss of money will be catastrophic. Even Martindale has alluded to Livi going out of business if they go down. Someone better wake up and smell the coffee soon.

Just now, SaintJet said:

Pretty low bar being set for our targets; I don't get it. Shopping in Aldi when we need to be shopping in Waitrose or even trying the for "quick sale" isle in Harrods.

If we go down the loss of money will be catastrophic. Even Martindale has alluded to Livi going out of business if they go down. Someone better wake up and smell the coffee soon.

I quite like Alan Forrest. He’s caused us more than a few problems down the years and is different to what we currently have fit. 

expect he’ll be seen as someone to fill the Wotherspoon role for a bit 

50 minutes ago, Broggy Man said:

Hadn't thought of that! Maybe if we shout a bit more and sing it'll help stop the defence making mistakes and the midfield giving away cheap possession.

I'm all for it!

46 minutes ago, THE LARK SAINT said:

Bids knocked back for Deas Rudden  and Forrest

You wonder why Saints don't sign them on PCA and force Clubs involved hands??

All are available in summer are they not ?

Suspect loads will change last couple of days of window

With the targeted players whose contracts are expiring I think this is what we would do in a "normal" season where we're sitting comfortably mid-table at this stage.

Problems with that approach this season are:

- We desperately need the players *now*, and everyone we're trying to negotiate with knows that.

- Why would players want to sign a PCA with a club that could be relegated by the time they actually join us?

- Why would a club sitting just above us in the table want to help us strengthen?

- Why would any club accept the first (or even second or third) bid from us when they know we're desperate and may well keep offering more?

Add this all together and you're left with the very real possibility of us hitting the panic button at the end of the window and spending well over the odds on players who are probably no better (and possibly worse) than what we already have.

7 hours ago, mainstand said:

Think of last season and the number of games where Kerr strode out form the back 4, down the right and turned defence into attack, he did it time and time again. Tuesday the commentator even commented on how saints had good posession but were needing someone to step out of defence and help the midfield.  Most of taht is I think down to confidence. 

If you're saying our defenders don't understand when they're supposed to move forward and help the attack, I'd say that's more of a coaching issue than a confidence issue. I think if the players were better drilled in their roles, better results and higher confidence would stem from that (not the other way around).

3 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

With the targeted players whose contracts are expiring I think this is what we would do in a "normal" season where we're sitting comfortably mid-table at this stage.

Problems with that approach this season are:

- We desperately need the players *now*, and everyone we're trying to negotiate with knows that.

- Why would players want to sign a PCA with a club that could be relegated by the time they actually join us?

- Why would a club sitting just above us in the table want to help us strengthen?

- Why would any club accept the first (or even second or third) bid from us when they know we're desperate and may well keep offering more?

Add this all together and you're left with the very real possibility of us hitting the panic button at the end of the window and spending well over the odds on players who are probably no better (and possibly worse) than what we already have.

I suppose we won’t know what players were identified at the beginning of the season . Whether the board did everything to get them in or not . And who’s really to blame for the predicament we’re in at the moment . It’s pretty obvious a lot of the fans blame Callum and a few players . Probably Spoony cause he usually gets it , even for being injured . 

4 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

If you're saying our defenders don't understand when they're supposed to move forward and help the attack, I'd say that's more of a coaching issue than a confidence issue. I think if the players were better drilled in their roles, better results and higher confidence would stem from that (not the other way around).

MOH , did it when we were 1 nil down cutting it to May who , well don’t know what he did .