Saints January '22 Transfer Activity

Melbourne Saint

6 hours ago, SaintJet said:

That's a stretch. Zander started coming in to his own and really started to command his box as soon as the defense settled down in to a solid unit who were communicating well and marshalled by our ex captain.

I do still feel that some of Tommy's comments about keepers not needing to command their box must have had a detrimental effect on how Zander performed. However, his real dip in form was more from shots that should have been easily saved and that's what all the fancy stats showed.

27 minutes ago, garydavidson said:

I do still feel that some of Tommy's comments about keepers not needing to command their box must have had a detrimental effect on how Zander performed. However, his real dip in form was more from shots that should have been easily saved and that's what all the fancy stats showed.

Which is fine in certain circumstances. With Ando and Frazer Wright in their pomp it wasn't too much of an issue.

Think both stories we pretty much knew . Looks like we’ll be looking for a new goalie and it wouldn’t be saints if we weren’t resigned to the fact we’ll miss out on a target . 
 Still have a few really good kids out on loan that will make a difference if not this season then next . 

16 hours ago, Pat McGroin said:

Zander was rock bottom of the save percentages for 2 seasons running. That doesn’t happen by accident. 

I don't think it is a coincidence that the improvement in Zanders stats has come at a period when there has become question marks about the defence in front of him. During the period that he was conceding the higher percentage of shots, defenders were blocking everything that moved in front of him and closing down space so when they did get through on zander it was wither a pretty good shot or it was a move that got through our back line.  

16 hours ago, SaintJet said:

That's a stretch. Zander started coming in to his own and really started to command his box as soon as the defense settled down in to a solid unit who were communicating well and marshalled by our ex captain.

Not sure it's that much of a stretch. It's not as if we had a bad defence under Tommy. Other than a couple of wobbly spells we were always pretty tight at the back.

I do feel Zander has improved under Davidson, and looking back I think it's disappointing Tommy wasn't able to get these performances out of him when you consider Tommy's background as a goalie and a goalie coach.

2 hours ago, mainstand said:

I don't think it is a coincidence that the improvement in Zanders stats has come at a period when there has become question marks about the defence in front of him. During the period that he was conceding the higher percentage of shots, defenders were blocking everything that moved in front of him and closing down space so when they did get through on zander it was wither a pretty good shot or it was a move that got through our back line.  

Yes, agree with this and said something similar, but far less eloquently, a while ago. This also shows we should not look at the shots saved stats in isolation.

Been away for 10 days. Read most of the posts today can someone please confirm I have this correctly 

out

Devine LWB  Dendoncker RCB and Solomom Left Winger

In

Tony Gallacher (22) left back Dan Cleary (25)  RCB and Nadir Ciftc (29) Striker

Gilmour returned from loan and Crawford given long term deal

Happy New Year

11 minutes ago, Johnny B said:

Been away for 10 days. Read most of the posts today can someone please confirm I have this correctly 

out

Devine LWB  Dendoncker RCB and Solomom Left Winger

In

Tony Gallacher (22) left back Dan Cleary (25)  RCB and Nadir Ciftc (29) Striker

Gilmour returned from loan and Crawford given long term deal

Happy New Year

Gilmour is not deffo come back decision is still to be made according to Barry Ferguson

Had a look for Tony Gallacher matches for Toronto on ESPN. Toronto play a 433 and he was not in their squad for their last 8 games (did no go back any further) How long to get him match fit?

Do not know if he was injured or just not selected. Toronto's regular left bac is Justin Morrow who is retiring at the end of this season

18 minutes ago, Johnny B said:

Had a look for Tony Gallacher matches for Toronto on ESPN. Toronto play a 433 and he was not in their squad for their last 8 games (did no go back any further) How long to get him match fit?

Do not know if he was injured or just not selected. Toronto's regular left bac is Justin Morrow who is retiring at the end of this season

From what I can see online he only played 9 games for Toronto and his loan there ended in December 2020, so it's over a year since he was there.

Are people expecting him to walk past Booth into the starting line-up? Personally I think he's been signed as one for the future and will initially be on the bench.

14 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

From what I can see online he only played 9 games for Toronto and his loan there ended in December 2020, so it's over a year since he was there.

Are people expecting him to walk past Booth into the starting line-up? Personally I think he's been signed as one for the future and will initially be on the bench.

Going by the Melamed E2 fitness register he should be good to go by September 

6 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

That is why I could not find him in Toronto's squad.

I found him in Liverpool under 23 squad they play 433 and he occasionally played right back in the 4. His last game was 20 November a 3v0 defeat at home to palce, 

I do not expect him to walk into the team. However should anything happen to Booth or a dip in form he will be his replacement My observation was it may take him a few weeks to get match fit.

Also looked a Dan Cleary's games for Dundalk. Dundalk play a in in the main 4231 In the back 4 Dan played the Right Centre Back They have occasionally plated 352 formation and Dan was the right centre back in the 3

Dundalk's last game was on the 19th November again is there a question of how long it takes him to get match fit

4 minutes ago, Johnny B said:

Also looked a Dan Cleary's games for Dundalk. Dundalk play a in in the main 4231 In the back 4 Dan played the Right Centre Back They have occasionally plated 352 formation and Dan was the right centre back in the 3

Dundalk's last game was on the 19th November again is there a question of how long it takes him to get match fit

He has been training with saints for a while now

21 minutes ago, Johnny B said:

That is why I could not find him in Toronto's squad.

I found him in Liverpool under 23 squad they play 433 and he occasionally played right back in the 4. His last game was 20 November a 3v0 defeat at home to palce, 

I do not expect him to walk into the team. However should anything happen to Booth or a dip in form he will be his replacement My observation was it may take him a few weeks to get match fit.

He won't be alone! That's one thing I think Crawford needs to work on. 

Not sure if anyone else felt like me this season that the fitness and condition of a lot of the players had dropped off from last year.   Our calling card for the last ten years has been harrying and closing down the oppostion and that was in short supply this season.

Edited by SaintJet

33 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

people expecting him to walk past Booth into the starting line-up? Personally I think he's been signed as one for the future and will initially be on the bench.

Which makes it strange as we were told players coming in to improve the first team.

Not sorry he is here but booth was probably bottom of the list of improvements needed

So effectively so far only 2 players in to improve the first team, and one is debatable the other unknown