St.Johnstone V St.Mirren - Saturday 6th November

SaintJet

14 hours ago, Rob said:

Think Rooney gave his shirt to a kid in the crowd who presumably asked for it. Considering these shirts with the printed poppy are going to be worn only once I thought it was a nice gesture. Hope something good is being done with all the shirts.

I think one of the issues this year is that we havent strengthened and spent money while every other team has. We are unfortunately a weaker team. We lost key players that played a massive part in our stability over the last few seasons with no time to find the right replacements. The instability seems to have really messed up the whole team.

Dont think the poppy's are printed. Am sure they are sticky on. All Celtics fell off before the game today.

54 minutes ago, Rob said:

Yeah I dont think the team is stronger this season. Think it was a mistake to not strengthen in the Summer like other clubs, maybe its budget, maybe losing two of our best and most reliable players so late in the window. The goals are a worry but have been for years. We seem to struggle to attract someone who can score 10-15 goals a season. We had Watt a few seasons back who we probably thought was going to be that and that never materialised.

The squad can't be stronger with players like Kerr & McCann gone but we have more strength in depth in that we have to loan out Max, Gilmour & Ballantyne.

We now have cover at the back but no quality.

Up front we have added a striker whose quality we don't know but who looks like he is not rated by his manager.

17 minutes ago, saintgscot said:

No Callum persuaded Tommy to sign Hendry for saints.

That was four years ago, probably with Blackburn connections tipping him off. Having now had a chance to work with him first hand he's punted him to two different clubs when we can't score goals. It's quite obvious what Callum thinks of him now.

19 hours ago, Abernethy Saint said:

Haven’t we just taken 5 points off 3 teams higher up the league than us? And aren’t we ahead of where we were in the league last year, and so far matching our performance in the Cups last year? 

The real difference is folk are now paying hard-earned cash to watch Scottish football, and a lot of it isn’t great. 

I’m not complaining - you paid, so you get to moan. 

This is pretty much how I see it. We have the same amount of points as we had at this time last season, and a slightly better goal difference. Saturday's performance was awful and of course people are going to talk about that, but the result wasn't bad and it comes off the back of two good results. And let's not forget that we had some pretty poor performances in the first half of last season, too.

I don't think the squad needs much/any surgery. But I do think our system has become unsettled by the loss of McCann. Last season everyone seemed to be so confident and assured of their roles in the team. That was also true in the European games. But since McCann's departure it's felt like no one's doing his role and that's had a knock-on effect on the whole team. Just shows how important he was, really. 

On 11/6/2021 at 9:07 PM, Dav69 said:

just wish i had time to come on here and say what crap we watched today. just wish i could lower myself and post pish on this site on what i just watched today. If i had time, then  i would write that , " i would just wonder what planet that CD is on with his tactics and selections "?

"Can someone put to bed the myth that we have this FIN who is not up to speed on the scottish game yet. Being the case ? whoever recommended , scouted and signed should be sacked !!!!! its nearly Xmas... 

What we were witnessing ealier this year was a Tommy Wright team eventually bearing fruit and this is now starting to look like the era when Mclleland took over from a sacked Totten. 

Every team in the SPL has a proven goalscorer , WTF do we have ???????   . A defender won us both cups , a goalie had to pop up at a corner at Ibrox to show how to at least aim for the target. Pummelled at Tannadice ,, Pummelled from Jambos .. saved our skins from big Z again and again.  A decent strike force may have progressed us in Europe .

Pissed off hearing that " Oh Kane holds the ball up well "    aye but for who ? He is paid to put the ball in the net and not hold up for some imaginery striker to appear. We have no proven strikers, so spend some of that Euro Cash on a striker and free that 2 pretenders May and Kane.

Before jumping in with derogitary replies , just sit and look at each SPL teams srikeforce !!!!!!!!!!!

Oh Look ,, i found the time .

You strike me as being someone who has went to McD for the first time in years and certainly has no clue as to the modern game.

The national team and some of the top teams in the EPL are struggling to find a regular goal scorer what makes you think we have a right to have one?  Who are these 'proven' goal scoreres you allude to?

It's also laughable that after winning two cups and securing another run in Europe that this team is now "Tommy's team". Plenty teams would love to have a centre half who was able to transition in to a centre forward with a goal scoring threat. 

The game was brutal on Saturday. Some of the players looked like they were playing with each other for the first time but I think the weather  and the pitch had a lot to do with this. We weren't pummelled at Tannadice, a very good team pushed us back and took the game to us in the second half but we still won!!  That's the objective - win the game and if you need a goalie or a fullback to acheive that so be it that's what's required. The Hearts game was similar and when you consider the wealth of riches and the squad Hearts have at their diposal is there any wonder that they are a strong outfit? We have 2000 season ticket holders, probably a bit more but prudence has see us in good shape to weather some stormy times and this in turn determines the players we can have in our squad.

I think a real dose of reality is requierd by some Saints fans, We've punched above our weight for over ten years. 

We also lost our two best players early in the season and have had key injuries ; the teams in this league are all decent sides. Make no mistake we will need to be at our best to avoid a relegation fight.

There is a long way to go and we have still to see the best of this team this term. We'll play a lot better than on Saturday and lose that's a fact. Being a fan is eduring the awful games we witnessed on Saturday so we can appreciate the highs and lets be honest we've had plenty of these in recent years. We are not  the old firm who feel they have a God given right to be winning everything.

Saturday was grim but to suggest that Tommy had any influence on last season is plain ridiculous. 

We changed our entire formation and style of play last season. We have lost several key players this term and had more than our fair share of injuries. 

Am I concerned about the lack of cohesion between the midfield and the forwards? Absolutely, but it’s far from being a total disaster at the minute. The new midfielders need time to bed in. 

On Saturday we started a half fit O’Halloran and a half fit Muzz. Missing both Craig and Wotherspoon. So maybe not a massive surprise that things were a bit disastrous. 

32 minutes ago, Pat McGroin said:

Saturday was grim but to suggest that Tommy had any influence on last season is plain ridiculous. 

We changed our entire formation and style of play last season. We have lost several key players this term and had more than our fair share of injuries. 

Am I concerned about the lack of cohesion between the midfield and the forwards? Absolutely, but it’s far from being a total disaster at the minute. The new midfielders need time to bed in. 

On Saturday we started a half fit O’Halloran and a half fit Muzz. Missing both Craig and Wotherspoon. So maybe not a massive surprise that things were a bit disastrous. 

Spot on.

2 hours ago, SaintJet said:

We have 2000 season ticket holders, probably a bit more but prudence has see us in good shape to weather some stormy times and this in turn determines the players we can have in our squad.

I think a real dose of reality is requierd by some Saints fans, We've punched above our weight for over ten years. 

This season ticket line is one step away from the Dundee, Motherwell, Gretna stuff that gets spouted whenever there's any criticism of the club's spending or lack of it. It's as if season tickets are the only source of income for the club and McDiarmid Park never existed. The Brown's have to be admired for managing fans expectations to the degree they have.

Also, if someone's punched above their weight for 10 years, when does it actually become the right weight for them? But of course, as Steve famously stated, we know our place.

Terrible game, but getting a point isn't bad, and neither have the last 2 results.

My worry is that earlier on in the season (& at this point last season) I felt we were dominating games but perhaps not quite getting the results we deserved. Now, we're hanging on but getting decent results. We seem to have lost an ability to make our mark on a game. I think the game plan at the moment is to score within the first 15 mins and then hold on the the next 75. It worked against Hearts and Dundee U, but not on Saturday.

8 hours ago, Linky said:

Terrible game, but getting a point isn't bad, and neither have the last 2 results.

My worry is that earlier on in the season (& at this point last season) I felt we were dominating games but perhaps not quite getting the results we deserved. Now, we're hanging on but getting decent results. We seem to have lost an ability to make our mark on a game. I think the game plan at the moment is to score within the first 15 mins and then hold on the the next 75. It worked against Hearts and Dundee U, but not on Saturday.

Agree. I think the team is a bit down on confidence generally and coupled with changes to the line-up, fitness issues, games at the moment are about getting anything from a game. Midden have a good team and were on a decent run. 

Happy for once to have the break, get some fitness back. Then hopefully the next batch of games up to Christmas we can put a few wins together. And we've got a cup semi!

• 1 month later...