Would you swap the double for the league?

aagb1884

A few Rangers fans - not a lot, but a few of them - are kicking around the idea on Twitter that St Johnstone fans would obviously swap their cup double for Rangers' undefeated league win. The phrase 'in a heartbeat' was mentioned. My gut instinct was the opposite though, that I'd never consider trading in that season for a theoretically better one. I wondered what other folks' gut reaction to this idea was?

1 hour ago, aagb1884 said:

A few Rangers fans - not a lot, but a few of them - are kicking around the idea on Twitter that St Johnstone fans would obviously swap their cup double for Rangers' undefeated league win. The phrase 'in a heartbeat' was mentioned. My gut instinct was the opposite though, that I'd never consider trading in that season for a theoretically better one. I wondered what other folks' gut reaction to this idea was?

I would never stoop so low as to ever entertain a hypothetical from Sevco fans.

They're just seething we knocked them out at the Gibbon Cage.

Edited by Melbourne Saint

1 hour ago, aagb1884 said:

The Scottish Cup is a sublime cup, it looks the part, it carries great heritage and has been the glory for a number of teams. The league is gravy, week in week out, dominated by the OF. They can have their  suspect funded league win, and thank Villa for £4.5m that saves them from going publically skint.

MON THE SAINTS.... DOUBLE, DOUBLE, DOUBLE..... THE SAINTEES HAVE DONE THE DOUBLE AND THE SHIT UP AT DENS HAVE WON **** ALL AGAIN AND THE SAINTEES HAVE WON THE DOUBLE.....

32 minutes ago, MySpazz said:

The Scottish Cup is a sublime cup, it looks the part, it carries great heritage and has been the glory for a number of teams. The league is gravy, week in week out, dominated by the OF. They can have their  suspect funded league win, and thank Villa for £4.5m that saves them from going publically skint.

MON THE SAINTS.... DOUBLE, DOUBLE, DOUBLE..... THE SAINTEES HAVE DONE THE DOUBLE AND THE SHIT UP AT DENS HAVE WON **** ALL AGAIN AND THE SAINTEES HAVE WON THE DOUBLE.....

Correct.

Most Braw .

13 hours ago, aagb1884 said:

I wouldn't swap them. I think winning the League Cup in particular was a tick on the to-do list for us because we'd never done it before. When it started to look possible that we'd turn that into a Cup Double, it became really special because it's something most of us would never even have contemplated previously. There's a real possibility that no non-Old Firm side will do a Cup Double like that again in our life times. We've done something special that no other Scottish fans will get to experience (the OF will win Doubles at some point, but their fans would never understand what it means to a club like St Johnstone, so it's not the same thing).

Having said all that, now that we've won both cups I want the league next. :D

If a team wins the league it demonstrates that they are the best team in the league that season and rightly so. The cups are the glamour competitions to win both is one season really is incredible. Our acheivements last season will be heralded many years after we who witnessed it ( on the telly sadly) have all gone.

A team like St.Johnstone will never win the league, sadly that is now a fact unless the OF realise their ambition of going to the EPL.

2 hours ago, blueheaven said:

I wouldn't swap them. I think winning the League Cup in particular was a tick on the to-do list for us because we'd never done it before. When it started to look possible that we'd turn that into a Cup Double, it became really special because it's something most of us would never even have contemplated previously. There's a real possibility that no non-Old Firm side will do a Cup Double like that again in our life times. We've done something special that no other Scottish fans will get to experience (the OF will win Doubles at some point, but their fans would never understand what it means to a club like St Johnstone, so it's not the same thing).

Having said all that, now that we've won both cups I want the league next. :D

Surely winning the league is on the to do list too, as we’ve never won it before? Being champions would be the ultimate prize imo :wub:

35 minutes ago, Cagey said:

On the subject of double winning team. Surprised Saints haven't brought out a dvd with the highlights of the road to the cups & freedom of the city in time for Christmas.

My 12 year old grandson says "what is a DVD"?  There might still be a market for those of us who still have a DVD player so we can watch our John Wayne collection.

2 hours ago, south inch said:

My 12 year old grandson says "what is a DVD"?  There might still be a market for those of us who still have a DVD player so we can watch our John Wayne collection.

Agree that DVDs are largely obsolete but for an occasion like this I think it could still work as a collector's item. I got rid of most of my TV/movie DVDs and videos but have held onto all my Saints ones because they show stuff that might become hard to look back on otherwise.

Alternatively, the package could be made available as a download that you have to pay for. I'd happily pay for something I could keep.

At the very least it would help out my Sky box which is currently clogged up with the Cup semi-finals, finals and European games.

19 hours ago, dave mc said:

I’d take the league all day,to be the best over a season and champions league is what every team should aspire to imo.

You know realistically that's never going to happen due to various factors, e.g.

Gate receipts, S.P.F.L. and Referees, just to name a few.

So, I'll settle for 2 cups in one Season every time.

Well, Sevco fans can ruminate all they want... They dinnae have a manager.

So tough titties.

He brought 1 piece of silverware of 9 available to the Gibbons.

We won 2 in 1 season.

GET IT RIGHT F*KING UP YE!!!!

P.s. I think Villa have made a massive mistake. But who cares? Great to see the Gibbons all in a fuss about being a bigger club than villa.