Would you swap the double for the league?

aagb1884

On 11/12/2021 at 12:35 PM, south inch said:

My 12 year old grandson says "what is a DVD"?  There might still be a market for those of us who still have a DVD player so we can watch our John Wayne collection.

Braw try explaining vhs video tapes and for a laugh betamax the chunky loser 

9 hours ago, saintgscot said:

Maybe so but unbeaten in two cups What an honour. How many teams have won the league compared to teams wining a double.

Winning the league with our club would surpass any double, when did a provincial team last win the league, plenty have won cups, and doubles if you go far enough back, just my opinion 

On 11/12/2021 at 4:57 PM, Sergei said:

This is just typical of the supremacy mindset of the Old Firm follower. They will always be better than you no matter what you do. It's one reason they follow them. 

There's definitely a complete failure to understand that other clubs have different levels of expectation and demand on them than Rangers do. A double is an obvious highlight in our history, probably the best season we could have imagined, whereas their list of demands is win the league and cups, wind up Ryan Porteous and insist that the real bigotry is people calling them bigots.

1 hour ago, dave mc said:

Winning the league with our club would surpass any double, when did a provincial team last win the league, plenty have won cups, and doubles if you go far enough back, just my opinion 

If you’d like to journey back in time and tell us the names of the many many provincial teams who have won the double, that would be much appreciated.

53 minutes ago, The Real Saints said:

If you’d like to journey back in time and tell us the names of the many many provincial teams who have won the double, that would be much appreciated.

Nine non-OF teams have won the league title. Struggling to find a list online of which teams have won the Scottish Cup and League Cup double, but would be surprised if there are as many as nine.

For a club like Rangers who have vast amounts of (other peoples) resources to spend, it’s easier to win the league than win the double. The league allows them to slip up, there’s not the same pressure on every game in the same way as there is in the cup where one mistake means the double is gone.

For a club like Saints it’s easier to win the double than the league. The consistency required to win the league is unfortunately most likely beyond any club other than two in Scotland. 

All that being said, St Johnstone winning the double is clearly a vastly bigger achievement than Rangers winning the league undefeated. They all know that, we all know that, and no matter how much crying they do that won’t change.  

7 hours ago, dave mc said:

I agree that winning the league would be a bigger achievement but is the double is rarer.

11 teams have won the league since 1891.

4 clubs have won both cups in the same season since the League cup started 75 years ago. (Hearts won a League & League Cup double too)

39 minutes ago, Steve McQueen said:

I agree that winning the league would be a bigger achievement but is the double is rarer.

11 teams have won the league since 1891.

4 clubs have won both cups in the same season since the League cup started 75 years ago. (Hearts won a League & League Cup double too)

I know it’s rarer for a provincial club,but so is winning the league in recent history,and surely winning the league is much more difficult than 10 cup games,albeit a great achievement for us,all about opinions I suppose

Technically, it’s not a loss. The tie is finished at 90; the shoot-out is for an extra point. It was brought in to stop the mini league games becoming tedious - that’s why the format was altered to straight knockout back in the day.

However, if it puts you out of the cup, it wit will sure feel like a loss.