Dundee Hiring McDiarmid

Sergei

I see Dundee are floating the idea of playing in either Perth or Arbroath for a season or two while they built their new stadium. 

If true then I expect Steve would seriously consider it given the income it would generate. My concern would be the state the pitch would get into being used every week for first team football. 

Personally I think it's Dundee bluffing their fans into accepting playing at Tannadice in the interim and it's unlikely to get any further. I take it the hatred of Dundee would see loads of Saints fans up in arms at them playing at McDiarmid.

Arbroath also getting considered, surely that ground doesn't meet Premiership standard with only having 1000 seating capacity and 5000 standing. The fact they need to buy Dens from owner (Dutd director ?)firstly then sell it to the developers before they can even start on their new "Campsy stadium" thus making them homeless reeks of a dodgy deal somewhere. I just think once (if) Dens is sold then there will be a major implode somehow and Dundee fc will be left homeless and up sh*tcreek with no new stadium getting built at all. Maybe coincidence that both Dundee clubs are American owned and I can see some Dundee fans are feeling positive about this announcement, I just think there's more to it all and I'd be very nervous if it was happening to us. I agree that it may be a forced move to get the fans to agree on a ground share with United though, just all feels wrong and that's from someone who really doesn't give a feck for Dfc  :D

If asked SB would probably bite their hand off at the thought of extra income generated from rent fae these fookers, would we also get the hospitality income, pies etc ? 

Edited by chips

I'm sceptical about it ever reaching this stage. Seems like the idea of Dundee getting a new stadium comes up every few years, but never happens. They'd have a lot of hurdles to get over before they ever reached the point of needing a groundshare. Honestly I just don't think Dundee have it in them to manage it. They barely seem capable of staying in business at the best of times.

Hypothetically I'd be on board with the share if it was of serious financial benefit to Saints, but it would need to be really worth it for the damage it would do to the pitch. I seem to vaguely remember Saints being against letting other teams share with us in the past, for this exact reason.

If they were run with any sense the two Dundee clubs would have sat down together decades ago and planned a new stadium for them both to use.

1 hour ago, chips said:

If asked SB would probably bite their hand off at the thought of extra income generated from rent fae these fookers, would we also get the hospitality income, pies etc ? 

Has to be. I mean, in 2014 the governing body set the rules for hiring stadia when they handed as much money on a plate as possible to the Old Firm for their Cup semis and Final and both clubs raked in all the hospitality income. We'd surely have to do what they did. Can't have different rules for different clubs after all. 

1 hour ago, chips said:

Arbroath also getting considered, surely that ground doesn't meet Premiership standard with only having 1000 seating capacity and 5000 standing. The fact they need to buy Dens from owner (Dutd director ?)firstly then sell it to the developers before they can even start on their new "Campsy stadium" thus making them homeless reeks of a dodgy deal somewhere. I just think once (if) Dens is sold then there will be a major implode somehow and Dundee fc will be left homeless and up sh*tcreek with no new stadium getting built at all. Maybe coincidence that both Dundee clubs are American owned and I can see some Dundee fans are feeling positive about this announcement, I just think there's more to it all and I'd be very nervous if it was happening to us. I agree that it may be a forced move to get the fans to agree on a ground share with United though, just all feels wrong and that's from someone who really doesn't give a feck for Dfc  :D

Is there still Premiership standards? Think Arbroath will be OK if they win promotion.

1 hour ago, south inch said:

Surely this is a wind up?  Is the current owner a couple of sandwiches short of a picnic? He owns an asset which a developer wants to buy (or so it is said) and it is suggested he will sell it to his tenant who will then sell on to the developer at a profit!  Aye right.

If reports are correct he's already knocked back the American owners of Dundee fc who came all this way expecting it to be a done deal. Seemingly when he bought the stadium he stated he'll only sell it if its going into the hands of Dundee fans. So either it'll be no go or money talks and somebody gets shafted 

Can't see the maths in this based on the drawings I've seen- it's an expensive development being proposed, with a business park. Housing prices are pretty stagnant (at best) in Dundee. Drive through the technology hub & there's a lot of "office space for lease". 

They could do it if they "do a McDiarmid"- nothing flash, cheap build. But Dens is contaminated. It therefore requires mandated 50 years for cleansing.

15 hours ago, Steve McQueen said:

Is there still Premiership standards? Think Arbroath will be OK if they win promotion.

I can't find anything online about what the current ground requirements are, but I seem to remember most of the stricter standards were relaxed when the SPL and SFL merged into the SPFL. There must still be some level of standard that has to be met but I think Gayfield would be OK - or, at the very least, a team playing at Gayfield would be given a grace period to bring it up to standard if they were playing in the Premiership. In Dundee's case that could mean they'd be fine to play there for a year, even if it didn't quite meet the requirements.

16 hours ago, Sergei said:

Has to be. I mean, in 2014 the governing body set the rules for hiring stadia when they handed as much money on a plate as possible to the Old Firm for their Cup semis and Final and both clubs raked in all the hospitality income. We'd surely have to do what they did. Can't have different rules for different clubs after all. 

I think it would be up to the clubs to come to an arrangement of whether it's a flat rent and Dundee keep their profits, or Saints take a percentage of whatever money Dundee bring into the ground (which potentially wouldn't be very much?).

I reckon Saints would rightly be wary of getting into bed with Dundee in this way. What happens if/when they go into administration and can't pay their bills? Or if the new stadium falls through and Dundee end up needing a groundshare for years into the future? There's a lot of potential for things to get messy and for Saints to come out of it looking like the bad guys.

13 hours ago, Melbourne Saint said:

Can't see the maths in this based on the drawings I've seen- it's an expensive development being proposed, with a business park. Housing prices are pretty stagnant (at best) in Dundee. Drive through the technology hub & there's a lot of "office space for lease". 

They could do it if they "do a McDiarmid"- nothing flash, cheap build. But Dens is contaminated. It therefore requires mandated 50 years for cleansing.

House prices are rising across Scotland, driven by lack of properties on the market, which is driven in turn by Brexit/COVID uncertainty. Office space on the other hand is freely available across the UK because working from home is starting to become permanent for many. The 50 years thing only applies if you don’t cleanse it, obviously. Apart from that, spot on.

4 hours ago, blueheaven said:

A - I can't find anything online about what the current ground requirements are, but I seem to remember most of the stricter standards were relaxed when the SPL and SFL merged into the SPFL. There must still be some level of standard that has to be met but I think Gayfield would be OK - or, at the very least, a team playing at Gayfield would be given a grace period to bring it up to standard if they were playing in the Premiership. In Dundee's case that could mean they'd be fine to play there for a year, even if it didn't quite meet the requirements.

B - I think it would be up to the clubs to come to an arrangement of whether it's a flat rent and Dundee keep their profits, or Saints take a percentage of whatever money Dundee bring into the ground (which potentially wouldn't be very much?)

A - I didn't think standing was allowed in the top tier especially on old fashioned terracing. Is this now not the case?

B - I'm sure they would. It just should never be forgotten how the SFA screwed Saints and Dundee Utd over the 2014 Final.

(It wouldn't copy both quotes as separate items so I had to improvise!)

I remember reading about the Muirton/Asda deal and how the one thing that Geoff insisted on was that Asda built the new stadium before he handed over the keys to the old one.

It would be absolutely hilarious if they end up homeless. Having said that, I guarantee that the American owners plans are to force a ground-share at Tannadice long term.