Motherwell v St Johnstone 18/12/2021 3pm

tucker

1 hour ago, R.B.B:- Adz said:

And there is the problem.

We spend so much time and effort ensuring that we have a striker who can run a fu***** marathon in 90 mins and tackle every pass that a goalkeeper or defender tries to make, that we have completely neglected the fact that a striker needs to be in the six yard box to put the ball in the back of the net. Or at least have the energy to think about what position he should be in to be able to put the ball in the net. 

Maybe not in the 6 yard box but certainly in the penalty area ,not running out left all the time.

From memory May did spend a lot of time coming in from the left when he was scoring for fun in his best season.

On 12/18/2021 at 9:05 PM, sideline said:

In the second half we have our main striker Stevie May back in the half way line picking up passes to do I am not sure what.

agree with you here . You may annoy some fans though as the general word is that May when playing and Kane both hold the ball up great.

Hold the ball well ? for who ?  They are the main 2 that get paid to put the ball in the net !!!!  we dont want to see CD out so lets see where we are in Jan 2022 and what the transfer window brings . Strikers and not loans !!!!  Which minds me for our Chairman that the last time i passed Mcd we still have the Ormond Tand... can always loan an S from somewhere in the transfer window . 

Big Z ? one on one in the box , ricochets , penalties  , no way they are  getting a goal. Get your angles right at the posts. Dundee (a) in at the post. Aberdeen ( h) in at the post  to name but a few .  ( as Frank Carson would say " and theres more " ).... how many silly goals have we lost with incorrect angle of dive. Managers wont miss this !  Opposition will be saying " just aim low for the post , any side and its in " 

a good winter run of wins and we will be all eating humble pie , enjoying life winning games  in another lockdown and leaving Glen Middleton alone !!!. 

15 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

Middleton was right, May central, Viv left.

May floated about but surely nobody is surprised by that? Its his game and has been for years.

To me it looked like May was getting in Viv's way some of the time. I find it hard to blame May for that - he runs all over the place because he'd never see the ball if he didn't. But for me this is a coaching issue. We need to play in a way that sees the ball played through for May to run onto in central positions, and we never do that.

Just on Butterfield - he actually played a defence-splitting pass at one point when he came on. Very rare thing to see from a Saints player. He absolutely has to start on Wednesday,

1 hour ago, blueheaven said:

To me it looked like May was getting in Viv's way some of the time. I find it hard to blame May for that - he runs all over the place because he'd never see the ball if he didn't. But for me this is a coaching issue. We need to play in a way that sees the ball played through for May to run onto in central positions, and we never do that.

Said this at the time

There is also a propensity at every cross for everyone to run to the near post. May is particularly bad for this most times actually past the post by the time the ball is played.

We either then receive the ball at such a tight angle or it inevitably ends up in or around the pen spot.

This was glaringly obvious at one point on sat three players ran beyond the near post and the ball flashed across the pen spot in space you could build a GS Brown house on. Somewhere an O'Boyle, grant, Wright or even bloody buglionie (sp) would be

This unfortunately seems to be a coached thing.

Not sure what my point is here :laugh: it just annoys the hell out of me 

48 minutes ago, Shaggy Jenkins said:

This was glaringly obvious at one point on sat three players ran beyond the near post and the ball flashed across the pen spot in space you could build a GS Brown house on. Somewhere an O'Boyle, grant, Wright or even bloody buglionie (sp) would be

Or even a Motherwell player looking to take advantage of a poor clearance.