Crawford

pezza70

Saints fans will forgive a lot but never a lack of effort and unfortunately Crawford has got himself tarred with that brush. 

If a guy like Danny Swanson can work for the team, there is no excuse for Crawford not doing likewise and that would be a start for him. 

Will it happen though? Unlikely. 

Still absolutely staggered Saints bave given him two-and-a-half years. 

2 hours ago, Radford 72 said:

Saints fans will forgive a lot but never a lack of effort and unfortunately Crawford has got himself tarred with that brush. 

If a guy like Danny Swanson can work for the team, there is no excuse for Crawford not doing likewise and that would be a start for him. 

Will it happen though? Unlikely. 

Still absolutely staggered Saints bave given him two-and-a-half years. 

I remember in Paul Sheerin's first few months with us he was viewed as a bit lightweight and was pretty unpopular with a lot of fans. However he went on to become a big hero and easily one of the best footballers I've ever seen play for Saints. I'd love to think Crawford could turn things round in a similar way - but like you I have my doubts.

5 minutes ago, langside-saint said:

as long as he doesnt read the amount of hate his signing announcement received on twitter! I for one wish him all the best of luck! 

If you can't deal with criticism you should be in football. A strong personality will use it to prove everyone wrong.

I don't think Crawford can do that.

I didn't like the Crawford deal, and most of my anger was directed at those who gave him it rather than the player himself.

He done nothing to deserve the 2.5yr deal, and even if it does work out, and I appreciate how this will sound, it was still the wrong decision.

I can't see him suddenly turning it around. His loan was his last chance at securing a top flight contract as nobody else in the division would want him if he failed, so you'd expect him to be giving his all. Worryingly you can probably judge from his performances when he was offered the deal...

1 hour ago, blueheaven said:

I remember in Paul Sheerin's first few months with us he was viewed as a bit lightweight and was pretty unpopular with a lot of fans. However he went on to become a big hero and easily one of the best footballers I've ever seen play for Saints. I'd love to think Crawford could turn things round in a similar way - but like you I have my doubts.

I think the thing with Crawford is that fans, and certainly Saints fans, can’t abide a lack of “effort”.

I think as a fan base we are quite forgiving of players who have the odd bad game. Actually I think St Johnstone fans are much more forgiving of players that have more bad games than good games(compared to Hibs, Hearts, Dundee, Dundee United)… HOWEVER, they feel very strongly about players who shirk tackles, don’t bust a gut for 90 minutes, earn their jersey and earn fans respect.

Ali Crawford, although I think he is a very tidy footballer, fails on every one of those aspects.

3 hours ago, Evansabove said:

there’s been a fair few hiding for a lot longer than him the last few months though

He needs 2 industrious midfielders to let him play advanced. He won't track back, he wants to sit in the final third of the pitch & can do damage. Problem is, we've got a pretty mince midfield ATM. If Gilmour can come back with some form/fitness, that could help Crawford. If McPherson signs, I just think someone at Saints has undergone exploratory brain surgery.

Well he's contributed a couple of decent goals and we are going to need that. We need our midfielders adding a few to the tally. Players and managers can go from heros to villains in a week and vice versa. Our players need our backing more than ever this season so lets get behind the whole team. 

The length of contract is unusual. With the exception of a few I dont know how we are in a position to be offering 2 1/2 years when we dont know what league we will in.