Old Quality Signings

pezza70

Heading into the current season we had just won the double and we’re off on European adventure yet we bought in players of questionable abilities to replace the quality we lost.

We obviously were never double champions and had no euro football but I was thinking of the quality players we were able to attract still in years gone by 

Sergei

Paul Wright

Allan K

Jason Scotland

Nick D

Paul Hartley 

Billy Dodds

Jody Morris

thats just to name a few off the top of my head, but how can we go from there to not being able to sign players who are game changes for us?

Unfortunately panic buys half way through a season have never been fruitful for us . 
 We’ve always been seen just recently as having a spine to the team with able bodied replacements on the bench to do a job . Although we’ve had a few pumpings at places like Motherwell , Hamilton , Livingston always been able to bounce back through sheer determination and with players who’d walk through walls for us . Maybe this transition is just a bit too much this time for us to handle . 

23 minutes ago, pezza70 said:

Heading into the current season we had just won the double and we’re off on European adventure yet we bought in players of questionable abilities to replace the quality we lost.

We obviously were never double champions and had no euro football but I was thinking of the quality players we were able to attract still in years gone by 

Sergei

Paul Wright

Allan K

Jason Scotland

Nick D

Paul Hartley 

Billy Dodds

Jody Morris

thats just to name a few off the top of my head, but how can we go from there to not being able to sign players who are game changes for us?

Paul Hartley was a winger when we signed him. Arguably we had a bigger impact on his career than he did our club by moving him central.  

4 minutes ago, templeofsaints said:

Jody aside most of them were pre Bosman. Totally different market these days

Jody came to us in the championship ( 1st Division ) although his career was in free fall. The kind of player we need now . Said this already . Flair, determination, ball winner , something special to turn a game . 
 I miss Spoony as well 

4 hours ago, pezza70 said:

Sergei

Paul Wright

Allan K

Jason Scotland

Nick D

Paul Hartley 

Billy Dodds

Jody Morris

Was thinking along exactly the same lines.

Remember the 96/97 when we added to an already decent squad by signing Sekerlioglu, Jenkinson and Dasovic.

And that was as a First Division team.

5 minutes ago, Crossest Man In Scotland said:

Remember the 96/97 when we added to an already decent squad by signing Sekerlioglu, Jenkinson and Dasovic.

We were getting home crowds of 4-5000 some of the total crowds were 8-9-10000

Edited by Evansabove

4 hours ago, Pat McGroin said:

Paul Hartley was a winger when we signed him. Arguably we had a bigger impact on his career than he did our club by moving him central.  

I always find it odd when Hartley gets included on lists like this. In his first season with us he struggled to get a game. In his second he was good but we got relegated. In his third he spent most of his time wandering half-heartedly around the pitch looking completely disinterested. 

2 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

I always find it odd when Hartley gets included on lists like this. In his first season with us he struggled to get a game. In his second he was good but we got relegated. In his third he spent most of his time wandering half-heartedly around the pitch looking completely disinterested. 

I remember him coming through with Hamilton when they were playing at Firhill doing pretty much the same . Wandering about , constantly on his arse and complaining to the ref . 

42 minutes ago, Crossest Man In Scotland said:

I was thinking about the Jenkinson signing the other day - a move like that would never, ever happen now. He was a 26-year-old fringe player with an English Premier League club and yet he moved to the Scottish First Division. There must have been a pretty big wage gulf between clubs at those two levels even then, but just imagine what it must be now.

Same with Kernaghan, who voluntarily moved to Saints from Man City. He was already an Irish international who had moved between Middlesbrough and Man City in a seven-figure deal. Back then we were able to get players of his quality on loan from English Premier League sides. Nowadays our only hope of getting players on loan from that level is if we go for youngsters who haven't broken through yet.

3 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

I was thinking about the Jenkinson signing the other day - a move like that would never, ever happen now. He was a 26-year-old fringe player with an English Premier League club and yet he moved to the Scottish First Division. There must have been a pretty big wage gulf between clubs at those two levels even then, but just imagine what it must be now.

Same with Kernaghan, who voluntarily moved to Saints from Man City. He was already an Irish international who had moved between Middlesbrough and Man City in a seven-figure deal. Back then we were able to get players of his quality on loan from English Premier League sides. Nowadays our only hope of getting players on loan from that level is if we go for youngsters who haven't broken through yet.

Times have changed nowadays  we are scrambling about taking players from Ireland .

will the new players be of the calibre of the likes of 

John donegan

vinny arkins and Liam dunn  , nuggets all .

Didn’t want to include Daniel griffin as he was in another league entirely to the aforementioned.

what was the question again ?

Just now, slf said:

Times have changed nowadays  we are scrambling about taking players from Ireland .

will the new players be of the calibre of the likes of 

John donegan

vinny arkins and Liam dunn  , nuggets all .

Didn’t want to include Daniel griffin as he was in another league entirely to the aforementioned.

what was the question again ?

We've had some great players from both Northern Ireland and Republic of Ireland over the years, but I don't think that players we've actually signed directly from either of the Irish leagues have ever done particularly well here.

1 minute ago, blueheaven said:

We've had some great players from both Northern Ireland and Republic of Ireland over the years, but I don't think that players we've actually signed directly from either of the Irish leagues have ever done particularly well here.

Correct

On 1/23/2022 at 4:52 PM, blueheaven said:

There shall be no Alan Mannus slander allowed in here, thank you very much.

41 minutes ago, Dooj said:

At what stage of the season did Paul Hegarty sign for us? Appreciate that he was definitely towards the end of his career, but he was still a class act. According to Wikipedia, only 14 appearances for us, but those were during the 89-90 season.

I think it was probably around three-quarters of the way into the season? The transfer deadline used to be around then, before the transfer windows were introduced. Also remember we brought in John Colquhoun at a similar stage of our title-winning season in 96/97.