St Johnstone Vs Rangers 2nd March

saintgscot

1 hour ago, saint-johns-toun said:

utter pish, i've watched better sunday league games

I thought we played well at times. Players got a good reception from fans at the end.

Probably looked worse on the telly with commentators probably moaning about how can a team like Rangers play decent football on a pitch like that.

12 minutes ago, Cagey said:

I thought we played well at times. Players got a good reception from fans at the end.

Probably looked worse on the telly with commentators probably moaning about how can a team like Rangers play decent football on a pitch like that.

Pitch was dreadful and after the start we had, thought we did ok in patches. Hendry did well showing some neat footwork at times but weaving pretty pictures don’t win games. On another day Crawford might have have scored when McGregor and his defender screwed up. Play like this against Hibs are we will get something out of the game. 

To me and it might sound weird but this game which was a always a game that I hoped that we got no injuries or red/yellow cards that would lead to suspensions down the track.

Now that it’s gone hopefully we can look to the Hibs game and hope we can get a result against them.

A return of just 18 goals so far should already see us relegated, but the fact that we are still a chance at best for a playoff leg for relegation is mind boggling.

Dundee are shite but deep down I know they are going to nick a result against someone out the blue which is going to hurt us.

2 minutes ago, slf said:

That saints support was top class again

I’m gutted I never suggested it or anyone else to be fair but we could of shown a bit of support for young Max. Maybe a round of applause on his squad number. The footage on sportscene he looked so young and scared. It would show we were all behind him.

12 minutes ago, saintgscot said:

I’m gutted I never suggested it or anyone else to be fair but we could of shown a bit of support for young Max. Maybe a round of applause on his squad number. The footage on sportscene he looked so young and scared. It would show we were all behind him.

Did you miss the Captains armband with Max's number on it?

1 hour ago, R.B.B:- Adz said:

I would love to see how many shots on target Stevie May has had following coming on as a sub this season. Or f*****g touches of the ball for that matter 

You can sum up our attacking woes by mentioning the fact that, per90 mins played, he has the 2nd highest amount of shots for us, yet its hard to remember any of them for about 3 months.

We did ok last night to a certain extent. I can't decide whether Rangers having got that early goal just went through the motions, or were really poor and there for the taking if we had more about us.

Realistically, we never had much on target...I can recall one shot from outside the box, which was pretty poor...other than that, nothing. Still after three mins I thought we were in for a hiding.

Sung and Hendry had good games. Would like to know the reason Brown was in there rather than Cleary...didn't do anything wrong, but he isn't a centre back.

With my positive hat on, if we go on a wee run (yes, yes I know) Aberdeen look catchable to me....although I am assuming we will get the playoff.

9 hours ago, Cagey said:

I was quite happy with effort they put in. If they put half that effort in against County we would not have got beat.

I really don't think it's lack of effort that's the problem, and it hasn't been that all season. The problem is we don't know how to break an opponent down and score goals. A 1-0 defeat from Rangers doesn't look a terrible result on the face of it, but 1-0 was all they needed because we were never, ever going to equalise. If we can't effectively attack Ross County, we're not going to effectively attack Rangers. Our team is poorly organised, terrified of making errors, and has a manager who is unable to make changes during a match that positively affect the course of the game.

I don't want to cling to the past but Tommy Wright used to make changes to his line-up and system to adapt to the opposition, and if things weren't going to plan he'd make changes that would force an impact. Just take a look at the league table now - Livingston are fourth! Does anyone actually think Livingston have significantly better players than Saints? Or are they fourth because they've been moulded into a far more effective unit? Ditto Ross County, now 10 points above us, and they've achieved it with Keith Watson and Ross Callachan in their team. These are not exceptional football teams that are sitting comfortably above us and there is zero excuse for our position.

I honestly believe Tommy Wright would have our squad comfortably in the Top 6 right now.

15 minutes ago, MrBored said:

Sung and Hendry had good games. Would like to know the reason Brown was in there rather than Cleary...didn't do anything wrong, but he isn't a centre back.

We played 4-4-2 last night.

Gordon's positioning was right sided rather than central and Sang was higher up the park.

That was a decent effort from us but we really never hurt them despite having huge chunks of possession. One of the things that has had a huge effect on our game this season is the lack of width we have going forward. Last night we were crying out for someone to hit the bye line and some get decent crosses over. 

McGregor was jumpy all night and we should have been throwing balls in to shake him up.

The defense looked up for the fight and despite that gaff at the first goal they comfortably dealt with anything Rangers threw at them; where has this fight been all season? I'm not going to jump on the bandwagon but Parish had a poor game again. His kicking and distribution was shocking - to be fair the lad hasn't had much game time but when Zander heads we need to be looking at getting some serious competition in for this position.

Starting to see Crawford coming in to his own now so hope he kicks on - his craft in midfield was telling and he was linking play up nicely. Butter gets on my f ing goat! He has some great touches and looks a player and then loses possession in a heartbeat and nearly cost us a goal last night.

Hendry was again excellent and if he isn't getting offered a new contract something is wrong! 

Cifti huffed and puffed but didn't do anything apart from want to hug everyone he tackled. 

I hate being at games with the old firm fans. I despise everything about their bigotted poisonous bile. If I had my way I'd give them 300 fans stuck away in the corner of the North and take a loss. F them!

25 minutes ago, SaintJet said:

I hate being at games with the old firm fans. I despise everything about their bigotted poisonous bile. If I had my way I'd give them 300 fans stuck away in the corner of the North and take a loss. F them!

Same here .I agree .

38 minutes ago, SaintJet said:

That was a decent effort from us but we really never hurt them despite having huge chunks of possession. One of the things that has had a huge effect on our game this season is the lack of width we have going forward. Last night we were crying out for someone to hit the bye line and some get decent crosses over. 

McGregor was jumpy all night and we should have been throwing balls in to shake him up.

The defense looked up for the fight and despite that gaff at the first goal they comfortably dealt with anything Rangers threw at them; where has this fight been all season? I'm not going to jump on the bandwagon but Parish had a poor game again. His kicking and distribution was shocking - to be fair the lad hasn't had much game time but when Zander heads we need to be looking at getting some serious competition in for this position.

Starting to see Crawford coming in to his own now so hope he kicks on - his craft in midfield was telling and he was linking play up nicely. Butter gets on my f ing goat! He has some great touches and looks a player and then loses possession in a heartbeat and nearly cost us a goal last night.

Hendry was again excellent and if he isn't getting offered a new contract something is wrong! 

Cifti huffed and puffed but didn't do anything apart from want to hug everyone he tackled. 

Agree with most of that except Crawford. He had a few good passes to Sang but he gave the ball away to easy and never put a tackle in all night.

1 hour ago, blueheaven said:

I really don't think it's lack of effort that's the problem, and it hasn't been that all season. The problem is we don't know how to break an opponent down and score goals. A 1-0 defeat from Rangers doesn't look a terrible result on the face of it, but 1-0 was all they needed because we were never, ever going to equalise. If we can't effectively attack Ross County, we're not going to effectively attack Rangers. Our team is poorly organised, terrified of making errors, and has a manager who is unable to make changes during a match that positively affect the course of the game.

I don't want to cling to the past but Tommy Wright used to make changes to his line-up and system to adapt to the opposition, and if things weren't going to plan he'd make changes that would force an impact. Just take a look at the league table now - Livingston are fourth! Does anyone actually think Livingston have significantly better players than Saints? Or are they fourth because they've been moulded into a far more effective unit? Ditto Ross County, now 10 points above us, and they've achieved it with Keith Watson and Ross Callachan in their team. These are not exceptional football teams that are sitting comfortably above us and there is zero excuse for our position.

I honestly believe Tommy Wright would have our squad comfortably in the Top 6 right now.

Think you have your Tommy tinted glasses on. My memory is of being annoyed at Tommy not making subs til too late in an eye bleeding performances.

For some reason when he decided to leave in February we decided to go 3 at the back and started to entertain with a team that went on to win 2 major trophies.